Who makes the best new tubes? The best NOS?

medium jim

Re: Who makes the best new tubes? The best NOS?
« Reply #20 on: 29 Apr 2012, 02:51 pm »
There is a supplier that recommends NEW JJ KT88 copy of Genelex. Any thought if these tubes are of good quality? Is the Blue Glass version any different from the standard tubes of JJ? I think they are made in Slovakia.

Based on the fact that I stated I have a NEW integrated amp,
which is designed as a copy of Western Electric designs of old he has suggested these tubes.

Also the amp takes a pair of 12BH7's, which the supplier has suggested NOS RCA.

Any other suggestions by you guys/gals about the JJ's or NOS RCA....

Nice to know more parameters, such as what are you looking for as tonality, what do you primarily listen to and how loud.  Suppliers are for the most part honest and will give you sage advice, however, there are some that do have the daily special that is the stock that is on their shelves too long and want to move it. 

Nothing wrong with both tubes he suggested, the Blue envelope KT88's are a nice tube but cost more and in my opinion don't sound any different. 

Jim

Les Lammers

« Reply #21 on: 29 Apr 2012, 04:33 pm »
There are a lot of very good power tubes being produced today. If most are not on the level of the best NOS - with the possible exceptions of the Black Treasures 6CA7 and KT88, and the Genalex KT88 and KT66 - they are at least easily available and affordable. NOS power tubes are hard to find and extremely expensive.

In addition to the above, the Genalex KT77, SED 6550 and EL34 (I haven't heard the KT88), the EH 6CA7 and Tung Sol KT120 can all sound excellent in the right amp. As others have stated, system matching and personal preference both play a significant role.

With small signal tubes however, I have mostly been disappointed in the sound quality of current production (in the few pieces of gear I've heard them in). There, I would try to stay with NOS where possible and affordable.

I tend to agree but you have to give the new prodution small signal tubes a good while to run in. That has been my experience.

geowak

« Reply #22 on: 29 Apr 2012, 05:39 pm »
Thanks to all of you for the suggestions, comments, and overall education. I am a newby when it comes to tubes. My grandfather, god rest his soul, had been an electrical minded person who kept two very large flat metal boxes under the bed filled with vacuum tubes, an older tube tester, wires, cables, connectors, electrical tape and Olson store parts of all kinds.

So I picked up this bug???

Also to medium jim-
My musical taste is older Jazz, Easy listening, and blues. I listen to music at low to medium volume levels, never loud. I don't listen to rap and very little rock music.
For tonality? I guess just a little warmth but mostly I like the neutral sound. I like very clear and natural high frequency sound, not shrill! I guess I would be willing to give up the most lower registers of the spectrum for a clear natural bass- to mids to- highs.

Right now I have Chinese tubes in the amp that are made by Line Magnetic Audio-
(The company also makes the Amp) Most probably the were contracted and come from the Shuguang factory in China.

So therefore I am looking to replace these Chinese tubes with ones of better quality... and also I don't want to get counterfeit tubes. I would like to find a reputable source.
Right now I am selling some older tubes to Brent Jessee of The Brent Jessee Recording and Supply, Inc. He will be offering some advice I am sure...

Ericus Rex

« Reply #23 on: 29 Apr 2012, 09:01 pm »
Where are you Geowak?  Maybe a member is nearby with some spare tubes you could try.

JoshK

« Reply #24 on: 29 Apr 2012, 09:15 pm »
For the 12BH7's go with NOS RCAs.   They will define most of the sound in my opinion.  Most of the characteristic sound in an amp comes not from the output tubes, but the gain stages, which is 90% in favor of the input tubes.  Spend your money there and get some decent Gold Lions of the JJ copies at reasonable price and your set.

geowak

« Reply #25 on: 29 Apr 2012, 09:28 pm »
Hey Rex-
I live in Akron, Ohio. My dealer does not live far in Shaker Heights, so we have agreed whomever tries a set first we will give feedback on the type.

BTW I am looking at NOS RCA's now for the 12BH7's. JJ copies of the Genelex are looking pretty good now for the quad of power tubes...