Hypex NCore question and answers

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
Re: NCore Technical Info
« Reply #240 on: 7 May 2012, 02:21 pm »
Sorry for the split guys.  I really want to try to keep the Listening Thread for reviews so it's easy to read through. 

:thumb:

As for the question where the modules are made.   :dunno:  Maybe someone that knows can chime in.  I do know as jackman pointed out that the QC is done at Hypex as when I was asking when my order would ship the response was it's on the QC bench now.  Now those amps are getting QC'd around the USA.   :lol:

Letitroll98

• Volunteer
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #241 on: 7 May 2012, 02:50 pm »
I think the split and maintaining the review thread for listening impressions, and reaction to those impressions, is a good move.  We do have a tendency to wander and keeping the thread pristine does make it easier to get through.  Additionally, we needed a thread on technical as well.  Now if Jason could kick in a bit on the technical side, since he built them an all, that would be even better.   :wink:

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #242 on: 7 May 2012, 02:53 pm »
Now if Jason could kick in a bit on the technical side, since he built them an all, that would be even better.   :wink:
:rotflmao:

I did what anyone would do.  Unpack, read a few pages, solder a few connections, plug them in and cross my fingers when I power them on.  Oh, and they worked the first time.   :thumb:

Double checking the DC offset isn't a bad idea either.   :wink:  This is diy ya know.

From Hypex:
You can try adjusting the DC offset of the modules if you have a multimeter. The procedure is as follows. Power up the module. Leave both input and output unconnected. First, adjust R95 to 0 mV while measuring between non-inverted input and ground and Nampon disconnected. Then, with nothing attached to input but with the amp enabled (Nampon connected), adjust R136 close to 0 mV while measuring on the output.

Here are some pics of R95 & R136

« Last Edit: 17 Jun 2012, 07:24 pm by jtwrace »

Regnad

« Reply #243 on: 7 May 2012, 07:55 pm »
Couple questions...

1.  Would using 220V be better than 120V?   In what ways?

2.  I understand that the red LEDs are part of the input regulation, why LEDs?

Thanks for any advice!

Oh, I have one built and the second soon.

ChrisPa

« Reply #244 on: 7 May 2012, 08:44 pm »
$200 copies?

I think it's more to do with accurately implementing a 5th order control loop
For example, Has anyone seen some Chinese copies of the B&O ice modules?

Couple questions...

1.  Would using 220V be better than 120V?   In what ways?

no

2.  I understand that the red LEDs are part of the input regulation, why LEDs?

Thanks for any advice!

Oh, I have one built and the second soon.
leds behave like Zener diodes and the right ones are lower noise and more stable than zeners

genjamon

Re: Hypex NCore question and answers
« Reply #245 on: 8 May 2012, 07:19 pm »
How do you know what week your order might be shipped?  I've seen the listing of the weeks by number that have been posted, but does Hypex provide any posted information about which order numbers will be shipped on what week?  Or do you just have to email them and ask when your specific order will likely be filled?

I ordered a couple days ago, but all I got was an order number, and not a shipping date estimate.  I was kind of expecting one.  Did I miss it somewhere?

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #246 on: 8 May 2012, 07:23 pm »
How do you know what week your order might be shipped?  I've seen the listing of the weeks by number that have been posted, but does Hypex provide any posted information about which order numbers will be shipped on what week?  Or do you just have to email them and ask when your specific order will likely be filled?

I ordered a couple days ago, but all I got was an order number, and not a shipping date estimate.  I was kind of expecting one.  Did I miss it somewhere?

I'm sure you're week 21 but certainly you can email Niels and he will let you know.  He's very responsive but remember he's also been in Munich for the last week and probably playing catchup. 

Niels Burema | Production manager / Logistics
mailto:logistics@hypex.nl

Nick77

« Reply #247 on: 9 May 2012, 01:04 pm »
Here's a good question for Ncore owners, i just read on diy that a guy has decided to sell his Ncore because he choose's not to replace his music library.

The Ncore has such good resolution that it makes his music recordings sound like crap and he refuses to upgrade his library.  Im sure many of us have this problem already but might be enhanced even futher with Ncore in the mix.

I have certainly found that even HD tracks can be hit or miss, so what have you guys found pertaining to listenability of your current library?? Reduced even futher??

kevinh

« Reply #248 on: 9 May 2012, 01:06 pm »
Here's a good question for Ncore owners, i just read on diy that a guy has decided to sell his Ncore because he choose's not to replace his music library.

The Ncore has such good resolution that it makes his music recordings sound like crap and he refuses to upgrade his library.  Im sure many of us have this problem already but might be enhanced even futher with Ncore in the mix.

I have certainly found that even HD tracks can be hit or miss, so what have you guys found pertaining to listenability of your current library?? Reduced even futher??

He needs a good tone control to correct the poor recordings.

I would rather have a crappy system than give up music that I like..

Barry_NJ

• So much media... So little time...
« Reply #249 on: 9 May 2012, 01:39 pm »

In my brief exposure to the N-Core amplifier I found it very neutral. I would think this characteristic would allow for system alteration at other points with a more predictable out-come. I'd keep the N-Core and go for a more romantic pre-amp, tube buffer, or set of cables, between the pre and N-Core. When I had it in my system I found it less romantic than my Audio Alchemy OM150. I figured if I were to go down the N-Core path, that I could/would add a tube buffer of some sort to get that romantic bloom back. YMMV...

TomS

« Reply #250 on: 9 May 2012, 03:39 pm »
In my brief exposure to the N-Core amplifier I found it very neutral. I would think this characteristic would allow for system alteration at other points with a more predictable out-come. I'd keep the N-Core and go for a more romantic pre-amp, tube buffer, or set of cables, between the pre and N-Core. When I had it in my system I found it less romantic than my Audio Alchemy OM150. I figured if I were to go down the N-Core path, that I could/would add a tube buffer of some sort to get that romantic bloom back. YMMV...
Exactly what I found too. Yours is a good strategy to just ignore this piece when tuning to taste around it. They would probably be a reviewer's dream as a constant.

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #251 on: 9 May 2012, 07:27 pm »

What the Ncore amps do is present what is on the recording and what is in your system (at least that is my impression over a few day audition). 

If I played a recording that was shrill, lacked depth, and was heavily compressed, that's what it sounded like.  If it was a great sounding recording it sounded great.

They definitely will not make bad recordings good.  That being said, I didn't run across any recordings that I could listen to with my reference system unlistenable with the Ncores.

I leave the crappy recordings in my collection for the car or Ipod.   :wink:

George   

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #252 on: 9 May 2012, 07:31 pm »
I couldn't agree more. 

Garbage in, garbage out. 

Heavenly in, heavenly out. 

As it was mentioned above that the NCores would be fantastic for product development or reviewer that wants neutral.  They really get out of the way and give it to you. 

:thumb:

cab

« Reply #253 on: 9 May 2012, 09:30 pm »
After all the time and care that went into designing these to be as pure an amplifier as possible, it seems sacrilegious to even think about polluting the playback chain with anything that is going to modify the sound. Kind of defeats the purpose and makes one wonder why someone would even want something as high fidelity as the ncore if they need to "adjust" the sound....

macrojack

• Restricted
« Reply #254 on: 9 May 2012, 09:36 pm »
Agree with cab. You guys haven't even been served and you're already reaching for the salt.

If want tube haze, why buy a pristine solid state amp?

There is nothing wrong with wanting tube sound but it does seem counter-productive to superimpose it on NCore.

roscoeiii

« Reply #255 on: 9 May 2012, 09:40 pm »
Eh, I could see having something that could easily be swapped in and out (tube buffer?) for times that I didn't want the brutal honesty of a poor recording.

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #256 on: 9 May 2012, 09:51 pm »
Agree with cab. You guys haven't even been served and you're already reaching for the salt.

If want tube haze, why buy a pristine solid state amp?

There is nothing wrong with wanting tube sound but it does seem counter-productive to superimpose it on NCore.

When do we stop equating tubes to haze and warmish sound, and colorations?  This is what tubes gear used to sound like years ago.

My tube amps don't sound anything like that and neither does my tube preamp. 

In fact, many of us have thought that a tube preamp was a good partner with the Ncore amps!!

George

Chris Adams

« Reply #257 on: 9 May 2012, 10:52 pm »
I have a tube dac in my system and when I pulled my amps and installed the NCores, the sound was pristine. No haze, clearer than I have ever heard my music. :D And I've had a number of SS dacs including a Metrum Octave.

cab

« Reply #258 on: 9 May 2012, 11:22 pm »
My reply was in response to the comments above about adding "romantic bloom"....I said nothing about tubes, per se, but rather any "tone" augmentation....

OzarkTom

« Reply #259 on: 9 May 2012, 11:40 pm »
When do we stop equating tubes to haze and warmish sound, and colorations?  This is what tubes gear used to sound like years ago.

My tube amps don't sound anything like that and neither does my tube preamp. 

In fact, many of us have thought that a tube preamp was a good partner with the Ncore amps!!

George

George is 100% right. OTL's do not produce any haze or coloration. It is caused by the output transformers of transformer driven tube amps.

The McIntosh SS amps with output transformers have the same character.