Hello, and welcome one and all to the Low Wattage Circle.
This circle is for those of us who enjoy listening to our favorite music through systems which employ low wattage power amplifiers, along with speakers that work well with them.
Along with all applicable Audio Circle rules and guidelines, the following basic guidelines are provided as follows:
1. The power amps mentioned here should be of a low wattage output. For the purposes of this circle, a general rule of thumb would be a rated output of 25 watts (at 8 ohms) or less.
2. All amplifier topologies are welcome (tube, solid state).
3. Speakers need to be of sufficient sensitivity/efficiency to allow playback at moderate to loud listening levels.
So as to keep the conversations going in a positive direction, a couple of points worth mentioning:
1. Stay clear of referring to double blind testing arguments. They never end well, and will not enhance anyone’s knowledge.
2. Please keep differences of opinion/disagreements at a non personal level. If you have a strong preference for a given amp topology/source component, etc, feel free to express those views (and why you feel that way). Just respect the fact that others may not share that view. So, when getting into animated discussions about these differences, be careful not to cross the line into personal attacks.
The intent of this circle is to have fun with this, learn more about this topic from one another, and most importantly, enjoy the music!
As Paul Klipsch adroitly stated: “What this country needs is a good 5 watt amplifier”.