Sansui AU 717 and TU 717

bogiedr

Sansui AU 717 and TU 717
« on: 7 Apr 2012, 01:50 am »
Just picked up the twins and I am looking forward to many years of vintage listening pleasure. However if I am going to enjoy this, I need speakers that will be worthy of the 717. What would you reccomend here? I have Thiel's I could use, but I am leaning towards Magnepans, Dahlquits, Green Mountain Continums, even Martin Logans. Anything else anyone can reccomend? Remember I am trying to keep this as a vintage system, circa 1976 / 1983. Your input is greatly appreciated!!!

tabrink

• lake life is good
Re: Sansui AU 717 and TU 717
« Reply #1 on: 7 Apr 2012, 02:02 am »
 :icon_lol:
Those old Sansui amps really mate well with Vandersteen speakers. Especially the Vandersteen Model 2CE Signature.
The Sansui have a tendency to be a bit bright and almost brittle at times but still not an egregious pairing with the warmth and purity of the "steeens".
They make magic together.  :thumb:

doug s.

• makin' music
« Reply #2 on: 7 Apr 2012, 02:26 am »
green mountain continuums were first released in the mid-90's, afaik.

ads speakers are wery nice - the top model l2030 is killer; all the smaller iterations are also wery nice.  even by today's standards. 

the yamaha ns-1000 is another great speaker, imo.

many many jbl iterations to choose from.

also a few choice models from alison acoustics.

the tdl reference is a classic speaker, mebbe a couple years past your '83 cut-off date...

the polk audio sda line came out in 1985, and many consider these classics competitive w/the wery best.  i was enamoured of their smaller monitors in the late 70's...

personally, if it were me, i'd pass on the wandersteens - i never liked any of their earlier stuff; it all sounded thick, syrupy and weiled to me.  but i know many folks (as indicated above) really love them...

the sansui gear is excellent, imo, competitive sonically w/modern offerings.  if i were doing this, i would be leaning to the ads' or the yamaha ns-1000's.

i am sure there's a multitude of other choices...

doug s.

bogiedr

« Reply #3 on: 7 Apr 2012, 02:38 am »
Thank you Doug. I have a pair of ADS L780's and I do not like them as much as I thought I would. The JBL's are not my cup of tea ... geez, If I could find some nice Dahlquist DQ6's or 8's.

pumpkinman

• A Kind Word Is an Easy Gift To Give
« Reply #4 on: 7 Apr 2012, 02:46 am »
I put together a small vintage system for my wife. A Sansui G5000 Technics TT with Polk Monitor 7 speakers.  :thumb:

OzarkTom

« Reply #5 on: 7 Apr 2012, 02:56 am »
Acoustat 2+2's would mate moderately well.

For small bookshelf's, go with Mordaunt Short MS-35TI's. That would be a killer combo with the Sansui's.

doug s.

• makin' music
« Reply #6 on: 7 Apr 2012, 04:30 am »
Thank you Doug. I have a pair of ADS L780's and I do not like them as much as I thought I would. The JBL's are not my cup of tea ... geez, If I could find some nice Dahlquist DQ6's or 8's.

have you tried the larger ads'?  or ever hear the yamaha ns-1000's?  neither of these are exactly cheap.  and, the jbl's i am referring to are the pro audio monitors, and can be wery expensive; i am not referring to their lesser home bookshelf models.   :lol:  tho, i confess that i do have two pairs of jbl l77 lancers, inherited from my dad; and they sound pretty decent...

dahlquists do show up f/s freqeuntly; keep your eyes peeled...

doug s.

Ericus Rex

« Reply #7 on: 7 Apr 2012, 12:18 pm »
Dahlquists are a good idea.  I've spent quite a bit of time with a friends pair of DQ10s and always think they sound pretty good for their age.  Another vintage brand to consider is DCM.  I always thought their Timeframe series was pretty good sounding.

Polk SDA series is way cool looking and vintage:

http://polksda.com/

orthobiz

« Reply #8 on: 7 Apr 2012, 12:32 pm »
As TONEPUB would say, I am a "monogamous" audiophile. I've had my DQ10's since 1978 and am happy. I don't question them, they are part of my audio life. They do soak up gobs of power, I'm using a double die version of the VanAlstine power amp with about 300 watts per channel.

Paul

Brett Buck

« Reply #9 on: 7 Apr 2012, 11:35 pm »
As TONEPUB would say, I am a "monogamous" audiophile. I've had my DQ10's since 1978 and am happy. I don't question them, they are part of my audio life. They do soak up gobs of power, I'm using a double die version of the VanAlstine power amp with about 300 watts per channel.

And 40 lbs of Plasti-clay, right?

Brett

tabrink

• lake life is good
« Reply #10 on: 8 Apr 2012, 04:43 am »
green mountain continuums were first released in the mid-90's, afaik.

ads speakers are wery nice - the top model l2030 is killer; all the smaller iterations are also wery nice.  even by today's standards. 

the yamaha ns-1000 is another great speaker, imo.

many many jbl iterations to choose from.

also a few choice models from alison acoustics.

the tdl reference is a classic speaker, mebbe a couple years past your '83 cut-off date...

the polk audio sda line came out in 1985, and many consider these classics competitive w/the wery best.  i was enamoured of their smaller monitors in the late 70's...

personally, if it were me, i'd pass on the wandersteens - i never liked any of their earlier stuff; it all sounded thick, syrupy and weiled to me.  but i know many folks (as indicated above) really love them...

the sansui gear is excellent, imo, competitive sonically w/modern offerings.  if i were doing this, i would be leaning to the ads' or the yamaha ns-1000's.

i am sure there's a multitude of other choices...

doug s.

Darn!   :lol:
Now I am going to hear  :duh: syrup in my steens!
Actually with the Vandersteens and AVA DAC I am out of the market for pretty much anything!  :thumb:

Doublej

« Reply #11 on: 9 Apr 2012, 07:48 pm »
For this vintage one would be remiss for not looking into EPIs, Burhoe Acoustics, Infinity, and Acoustic Research.

Minn Mark

« Reply #12 on: 10 Apr 2012, 05:44 pm »
ESS PS-8s or AMTs, RTRs, or Marantz speakers...

doug s.

• makin' music
« Reply #13 on: 17 Apr 2012, 05:01 am »

how about dq10's?
http://audiooasis.com/blog/category/speakers

you could always go for a pair of sansui sp2500's.  i have a pair i picked up on c/l, and they are actually quite nice.  not your audiophile soundstaging, but a full sound, and wery dynamic at 98db/1w efficiency...

doug s.

Satxhifi

« Reply #14 on: 20 Apr 2012, 11:51 pm »
Had a 719 & 717 back then. Bought them new. After a few different pairs of speakers ended up with Boston A 40's. Very nice. Got really good when I scored an ADS PBS 1500 with C 1500 active crossover. Awesome!

Wish I still had the sub and amp.

Recently picked up some Boston A 60's paired with an HK 430 receiver. Great combo, sound very good. Not all that audio stuff but very good lisenable toe tapping sound.

I think you wouldbe pleased with A60's, an 8" woofer. I bet a pair of A 150's wouldbe great!

Satxhifi

« Reply #15 on: 20 Apr 2012, 11:54 pm »
Promise to preview next time!

Paid $25 for the A 60's refoamed.

bogiedr

« Reply #16 on: 24 Apr 2012, 11:14 pm »
Thank you all, great ideas! I considered many different things, still leaning towards Dahlquist, 6, 8 or ten. Recently I have started considering Magnepans. I have found a pair of MG-1's relatively inexpensive. Early Polks are great, my first quality speakers were the Monitor 7's mated to a Sansui 221. I am certainly taking my time building this. I actually have an opportunity to pick up a power amp, a McIntosh 7100. I am considering using the 717 as a pre amp with the Mc and get a pair of Magnepans. Is that crazy or what?  :o

bogiedr

« Reply #17 on: 4 May 2012, 12:42 am »
After much trial and error, ($), found the right combination!! Klipsch Heresy II's!! Placed them at an angle at each corner of the room and the imaging is fantastic, the sound stage is huge, bass is deep and tight, highs are crystal clear, (listening to Annie Haslam singing "Song of Sheharazade" will give you goose bumps), and they do not seem to mind being driven hard! I find myself listening to the Sansui AU717 / Klipsch Heresy II combo more than my NAD 375BEE / Von Schweikert VR2's. Next is a Teac 3300SX2 reel to reel, system will be finished!  :thumb:

Haoleb

« Reply #18 on: 4 May 2012, 12:56 am »
Those sansui units are great. I have worked on a couple AU-517's and have a TU-517 sittin' right on my desk. Love the design and engineering that went into this gear, they certainly dont build em like they used to...

Anyway, One thing you may want to look into if you havent already is re-capping them and while you do removing all of the corrosive adhesive that was used to glue down the capacitors. At this age it will almost certainly have started corroding nearby component leads. Also dismounting the output transistors and cleaning them and then re-applying new heat sink compound and mica insulators. Removing the old glue is Very easy to do with a dremel with wire brush attachment once you de-solder the old capacitors.