Help get similar sound to main 2 channel system

coke

Help get similar sound to main 2 channel system
« on: 5 Apr 2012, 07:57 pm »
Looking for something to use in the bedroom.  Hopeing to get similar performance as my main 2 channel system if possible.  Not 100% sure of source yet.  An ipod would be the easiest for me.  I don't need noise canceling or closed headphones.  Doesn't have to be portable either.

Looking for an open sound with a good soundstage.
I'd like neutral or maybe slightly warm sound
I don't care about strong bass, and would prefer that the bass isn't overpowering.

Not sure of budget since I'm looking for something comparable to my 2 channel system, and don't know where to start.

I'm also using a pair of ortofon e-q7 IEMs at work with Nuforce Icon Ido. I'm looking for a significant improvement over these if possible.

Home system that i'd like to match or better

Squeezebox
EE minimax DAC
AVA Ultra+ pre
AVA ultra+ double 550 amp
Salk HT2-TL speakers
GIK room treatments
Blue Jeans Cables

I appreciate the help

:D

hibuckhobby

• On a search for audio nirvana
Re: Help get similar sound to main 2 channel system
« Reply #1 on: 5 Apr 2012, 09:30 pm »
The soundstage is going to be different...no matter what you do.
Tonally...some of it depends on what you're willing to spend.  Sennheiser hd600's are a bit more neutral and the hd650's are warm with a bit of a midbass hump.

A nice Burson amp, a Meier amp or a Headroom amp will drive them well.  If you want to spend more...get either the Audeze LCD-2 or the hifiman HE500 and either a tube amp or one of the above recommendations.  Either of those setups will sound great tonally and will have better detail and low end extension than the "big rig". 
Beyer DT880's are a bit more neutral, the DT990's are very transparent, but can be bright....if using an iPod, download an EQ program.  I've not heard the Beyer T1's but am told they are a bit more toward neutral.

Welcome!

ajzepp

« Reply #2 on: 5 Apr 2012, 09:34 pm »
You're probably going to need to look at headphones in the $600 range or better to get a similar level of fidelity as your Salk/AVA system. Off the top of my head, I'd look at maybe some HifiMan HE-500s, Grado PS-500s, Sennheiser HD650s, and Denon ADH-5000. If you can get closer to the $1k range (or a little higher) you can start getting into some reference quality phones such as the Beyerdynamic T1s, Audez'e LCD-2, Sennheiser HD800sand the Denon ADH7000 (closed).

If you're going to use an iPod, are your files in Apple Lossless format? You can use something like a Pure I-20 dock to pull the files off bit perfect and serve as a transport into a DAC of your choice (such as your minimax). There are lots of good quality headamps out there, but depends on whether you want something portable or stationary/desktop.

That's just off the top of my head, so hopefully others with more experience will chime in and offer further help. What types of music do you listen to most, btw?

EDIT: Just saw Hibuck's post after I wrote this...he suggested Meier amps, and I can vouch for them as being of very good quality. Jan Meier offers a great combo deal on his amps if you pick up a pair of either Beyerdynamic T1s or Sennheiser HD-800s. I picked up a Meier Corda Jazz + T1 and am enjoying the you know what out of it. It's really a significant savings, as well.

sachi

« Reply #3 on: 5 Apr 2012, 10:03 pm »
Outside of a Stax SR-007 or Stax SR009 headphone coupled with an amp like the Cavalli Audio Liquid Lightning, your best bet would lie in JH Audio JH-13 pro IEMs

coke

« Reply #4 on: 5 Apr 2012, 11:56 pm »
thanks for the suggestions.  Not familiar with some of the brands so it's time to do some research  :thumb:

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #5 on: 6 Apr 2012, 02:08 am »
Beyer T1's or Senn HD800's are the best headphones out right now, IMO.  My personal feeling is the 800's are a bit bright, but they have a soundstage that no other headphone can match.  The T1's are somewhat close in soundstage, but are much better tonally.  I got the T1's after demoing both of them pretty extensively.  But then I prefer a bit laid back sound, and you might like the 800's more than the T1's.  Best is to listen to both of them and see which you prefer.  Both require a good amp to really shine. 

Douger

« Reply #6 on: 6 Apr 2012, 02:55 am »
You have a very nice system, congratulations! You mentioned that you might use your iPod...  I would suggest Grado...  The SR325i's are $295, after breakin you will have good bass, never overpowering, but very true to the music.

Two days ago I got a pair of PS500 Grado's, $595. Still very efficient but these really rock! I also have Grado RS1i's, Denon 7000's,
and Hifiman HE500's. I love them all and they each have charms and strengths, but the PS500's do the best job against my Tannoy
Canterbury SE's... They have some soundstage but not like speakers... Excellent musical reproduction though!
Good luck!

ajzepp

« Reply #7 on: 6 Apr 2012, 03:02 am »
You have a very nice system, congratulations! You mentioned that you might use your iPod...  I would suggest Grado...  The SR325i's are $295, after breakin you will have good bass, never overpowering, but very true to the music.

Two days ago I got a pair of PS500 Grado's, $595. Still very efficient but these really rock! I also have Grado RS1i's, Denon 7000's,
and Hifiman HE500's. I love them all and they each have charms and strengths, but the PS500's do the best job against my Tannoy
Canterbury SE's... They have some soundstage but not like speakers... Excellent musical reproduction though!
Good luck!

Dang, Douger...you're that big of a Grado fan and have kept quiet until now? lol  Maybe my memory is just failing me after a long days work, but I don't remember you mentioning that previously. I have completely fallen in love with Grados to the point where even though the T1 is a better quality headphone than my 325s, I could not make a decision on which one I enjoy more. That's a pretty big compliment for a headphone that costs 1/4 that of the T1. Later this year I will pick up either an RS1 or the PS500s....unless I get a bonus or something, then I'll try to swing the big boy PS1ks. One of my favorite qualities about the Grados is their imaging. Even the little SR80is image like a son of a gun. I can place every instrument in space and the sound stage remains constant. Vocals are nicely centered and tonally I think they are very natural. I've come to appreciate excellent imaging more than I do a large sound stage now.

Anyway, sorry...back to the topic at hand :) 

Douger

« Reply #8 on: 6 Apr 2012, 03:33 am »
I am kind of quiet because I am the slowest typist I know...  After wearing out Koss Proaa's and HV1's, I got SR60's and 225's about 1996 or so, love them still. I started lurking on Headfi years ago and started building my collection in 2010. Detoured to Denon 2K and 7K, got 325i's and HE500's, realized I have always wanted RS1i's  and got them, then was reading about PS500's and got them, now I swear I'm done... :)  Need good luck to be sure but I'm  almost out of money...

If I could only have the RS1i's or the PS500's I would choose the PS500's but I am grateful to have both.

ajzepp

« Reply #9 on: 6 Apr 2012, 04:59 am »
I am kind of quiet because I am the slowest typist I know...  After wearing out Koss Proaa's and HV1's, I got SR60's and 225's about 1996 or so, love them still. I started lurking on Headfi years ago and started building my collection in 2010. Detoured to Denon 2K and 7K, got 325i's and HE500's, realized I have always wanted RS1i's  and got them, then was reading about PS500's and got them, now I swear I'm done... :)  Need good luck to be sure but I'm  almost out of money...

If I could only have the RS1i's or the PS500's I would choose the PS500's but I am grateful to have both.

Well I'm glad you chimed in, cause I love hearing about fellow Grado lovers! I picked up the 80s and fell in love, and then a month or two ago upgraded to the 325s. I use both regularly and am pretty much addicted. I can see why you're glad you have both the RS1s and the PS500s...I was surprised how different their graphs were. When I'm ready to get more Grados, I'm going to be calling on you for some advice!  :thumb:

slwiser

« Reply #10 on: 7 Apr 2012, 12:04 am »
My take would be a Senn HD800 and a SPL Phonitor with a good DAC...This is what I have.

Noseyears

• Restricted
  • SS-Audio
    • Supreme Sound Audio
« Reply #11 on: 9 Apr 2012, 06:19 pm »
Well I'm glad you chimed in, cause I love hearing about fellow Grado lovers!

I also own grados, planning to get the Rs1's in the future.  :)

Op, what about one box solution amp/dac?

ajzepp

« Reply #12 on: 9 Apr 2012, 07:54 pm »

:thumb:   I can't wait to hear a pair of RS1s

coke

« Reply #13 on: 10 Apr 2012, 01:26 pm »

Op, what about one box solution amp/dac?

That would work.

I contacted AVA about building something like that, and they said it would end up around the same price as their full size units.  That's a little more than I'd like to spend at this time. 

rockadanny

« Reply #14 on: 10 Apr 2012, 02:55 pm »
What about Mapletree Audio for head amp? Anyone experience those? On which rung on the quality ladder do they set?

charmerci

« Reply #15 on: 10 Apr 2012, 08:43 pm »

I contacted AVA about building something like that, and they said it would end up around the same price as their full size units.  That's a little more than I'd like to spend at this time.

FYI - Van Alstine really likes Grado headphones. (Though I'm not sure how many hp's he's heard since he publicly endorsed them years ago.)

saisunil

« Reply #16 on: 10 Apr 2012, 09:22 pm »
So much depends on the type of music you listen to ...
For example if you listen to mostly rock then go for Grados - I strongly recommend their SR-125 or SR225 ... I think they are the sweet spot and often ignored in the grado prestige line ...

Other than that ... electrostats are the rage in headphone world today ...
Take your pick between excellent and open sounding HE 500
http://www.head-direct.com/Products/?act=detail&id=102

Or amazingly warm LCD2 - easier to drive

http://audeze.com/

You can get them used and save a couple hundred $$ and get broken in units (yes break-in is real) ... headphones usually need upward of 100 hours of break-in ...

neobop

• BIRD LIVES
« Reply #17 on: 15 Apr 2012, 02:27 am »
Are those electrostatic or planer magnetic?

Are there electrostatics other than Stax?