Aktimate Micro

JohnR

Aktimate Micro
« on: 5 Apr 2012, 02:31 pm »
I have a pair of these in for review. Initial testing and listening done so far. While I have my plan, I'd be interested to know what if any specific items people might want to see covered in a review.

http://www.aktimate.com.au/micro.html

pjchappy

Re: Aktimate Micro
« Reply #1 on: 5 Apr 2012, 02:52 pm »
Since I know you have the capability, I say some measurements.  I'm sure you already plan on doing that, though.

Paul

persisting1

« Reply #2 on: 5 Apr 2012, 10:07 pm »
Any chance you have or can get the Audioengine A5+ to compare the Aktimate Micros with?

Doublej

« Reply #3 on: 6 Apr 2012, 12:53 am »
Similarly perhaps Emotiva will loan you a pair of their Airmotivs for comparison.

http://emotivapro.com/products/powered_monitors/

Letitroll98

• Facilitator
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #4 on: 6 Apr 2012, 01:37 am »
I find the implications of the product fascinating.  One could conceivably never buy a stereo system again, you simply buy powered speakers with DACs and amps built in.  Therefore I'd like to see a comparison with any stand alone USB DAC's you have on hand.  I suppose others may be interested in how the Apple dock performs against other Apple dock products, not so much for myself though.  Albeit pretty hard to perform these comparisons separate from the speaker, as well as any class D amp comps, but you asked what I'd want.  :)

charmerci

« Reply #5 on: 6 Apr 2012, 06:31 am »
Sounds interesting. It took me a while to find it but it isn't cheap (and cheerful) at $1100 though.

JohnR

« Reply #6 on: 6 Apr 2012, 09:53 am »
Sounds interesting. It took me a while to find it but it isn't cheap (and cheerful) at $1100 though.

Hm...  :scratch: must be some mistake, it costs $335 (RRP $399) here.

Therefore I'd like to see a comparison with any stand alone USB DAC's you have on hand.

Will do, I'll use my Fostex HP-A3... actually I already did the comparison but need to figure out some context e.g. if you use a DAC that costs more than the speaker+amp (but still C&C ;) ), how meaningful is that?

Similarly perhaps Emotiva will loan you a pair of their Airmotivs for comparison.

Thanks for the suggestion, that looks like a very intriguing product. However since they don't have distributors here, shipping costs would be prohibitive.

Any chance you have or can get the Audioengine A5+ to compare the Aktimate Micros with?

Good idea, I will ask.

Since I know you have the capability, I say some measurements.  I'm sure you already plan on doing that, though.

Yes indeed :). On axis, they are fairly flat with a bit of a rising response in the top octave. Out in the middle of a room bass is flat to about 60 then disappears, I have to yet to measure in a more typical placement e.g. desk or shelf.

randytsuch

« Reply #7 on: 6 Apr 2012, 01:19 pm »

I don't think that was the micro, they have larger ones, the Maxi, that sell for over $1000

Needle doctor has the micro for $500

Randy

MaxCast

« Reply #8 on: 6 Apr 2012, 02:04 pm »

+1

Also, with the 3.5mm in, if you have a splitter try a cd player into splitter, into 3.5, into speaker.

JohnR

« Reply #9 on: 7 Apr 2012, 04:54 am »
Rich, yep :thumb:

I suppose others may be interested in how the Apple dock performs against other Apple dock products, not so much for myself though.

I've never used an iPod/Phone dock for anything but charging. But I'm thinking of perhaps getting a Pure i-20 as a "reference" to compare to (i.e. internal dock vs i-20 into the line input). I finally found somewhere I can buy it at a reasonable price.

JohnR

« Reply #10 on: 23 Apr 2012, 08:09 am »

I asked, but the Australian AudioEngine distributor is not releasing any product for publicity purposes presently.

persisting1

« Reply #11 on: 23 Apr 2012, 09:16 pm »
I asked, but the Australian AudioEngine distributor is not releasing any product for publicity purposes presently.

That's fine. Still looking forward to the review.

JohnR

« Reply #12 on: 18 Jun 2012, 08:45 am »

http://emotivapro.com/products/powered_monitors/

I'm still trying to complete this review... but I did just notice a review of the Airmotiv here that may be of interest:

http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/emotiva-airmotiv-5-active-monitor-speakers

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #13 on: 18 Jun 2012, 06:55 pm »
Years ago I A/B'd Paradigm Studio 20's vs. Active 20's.  Everyone was gobsmacked by the Active 20's.  Recently I've been testing the active waters again, but the active studio monitors I've heard lack having any "magic/soul" (like why read comic books if they don't come with pictures).  OTOH most studio monitors are really quite cheap affairs when you consider that they include 4 channels of amplification (priced like these speakers in this thread).  So you could rightly ask, "What do you expect?"

Well my Ascend Acoustics CBM-170 (originals) that I still use in my HT system cost about $325/pair and absolutely stomp any of cheap studio monitors I've heard (and makes me wonder how any decent recordings get mixed).

cujobob

« Reply #14 on: 18 Jun 2012, 08:39 pm »
The Emotiva speakers can't be placed near walls apparently and have poor off-axis response...which makes a big difference in what you hear. Looks like a nice speaker otherwise, but those are some serious issues in a speaker likely to be placed on a desk or near a wall.

JohnR

« Reply #15 on: 25 Jun 2012, 09:23 am »
The Emotiva speakers can't be placed near walls apparently and have poor off-axis response...which makes a big difference in what you hear. Looks like a nice speaker otherwise, but those are some serious issues in a speaker likely to be placed on a desk or near a wall.

The off-axis response looks fairly normal to me. I'm a bit confused about the statement made in the review that it is "odd". I'd agree that the dip is undesirable but it's not all that uncommon esp for a two-way.

JohnR

« Reply #16 on: 25 Jun 2012, 09:25 am »
Anyway, here is the review of the Aktimate Micro. Finally!

Comments or questions on the review would certainly be welcome.

http://www.hifizine.com/2012/06/aktimate-micro/

:thumb:

Letitroll98

• Facilitator
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #17 on: 25 Jun 2012, 03:07 pm »
Excellent review, I was sure you could handle the technical portions, and you did, but I was impressed on how well you did on the subjective areas.  We audiophools must be rubbing off on you.   8)

JohnR

« Reply #18 on: 26 Jun 2012, 08:36 am »
Heh  :green: It's all a bit circular, actually :lol: Thanks for the kind comments  :thumb:

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #19 on: 26 Jun 2012, 10:05 am »
Not surprised that they came off "a bit" hot based on the first frequency curve (very tilted up IMO).

Great bang for the buck (said it for you).  Very convenient to have it all in two packages.  Another upscale version, sans iPod dock, is the AviHiFi ADM9T (about $2000/pair) that reportedly is used in the homes of some of the Sound-on-sound reviewers.  I've heard the previous version (new one recently introduced), but wasn't particularly taken (they were not broken in, but again reportedly didn't need it).  I've lately tried to investigate active designs but have not been impressed.

John, what about the amp(s) in the Micro?  (number/type/ratings)