ripping cds with pre-emphasis

bakufu

ripping cds with pre-emphasis
« on: 5 Apr 2012, 02:08 pm »
hi folks

i'm in the process of ripping my cd collection to itunes.  i'm using itunes to rip to apple lossless format, with error-detection turned on.

the majority of my collection is classical, with a significant number of disks from BIS, finlandia, ondine, and various japanese labels, many of them from the early years of the compact disk.

with some of these rips, playback produces nasty ear- and speaker-destroying static.  i've since learned that these disks are mastered with pre-emphasis.  cd players will detect and correct for this property, but it appears that itunes will not, at least when ripping to apple lossless format.  (this contradicts claims found on the net that itunes has that capability.)

my "solution" is to make a physical copy of the disk using titanium, and then rip the copy.  clunky and time-consuming, but it seems to work.

reading around the net, i see that others have encountered this problem, but none of the solutions i've found are any simpler than mine.

the ideal solution, it seems to me, would be to have utility or tool which scans itunes, detects "bad rips", and applies de-emphasis in place.  i.e. find and fix the bad guys.

suggestions?

skunark

Re: ripping cds with pre-emphasis
« Reply #1 on: 6 Apr 2012, 05:14 am »
There's was an issue iTunes 10.5, an update 10.5.2 was released in December 2011 to correct that issue.  You might make sure you have the latest iTunes and try re-ripping.     

If you google this topic, you there's results that also point you to sox which will apply the de-emphasis filter, so that's another alternative.

Jim

bakufu

« Reply #2 on: 6 Apr 2012, 02:41 pm »
thanks skunark

i'm currently running 10.6, but i'm not sure what version i was running 5-6 months ago when i began
ripping, or precisely when the bad rips were made.  i'll try a little experiment later to see whether 10.6
does the right thing.

nasty little problem.

bakufu

« Reply #3 on: 6 Apr 2012, 03:33 pm »
yes indeed, that works (re-ripping with itunes 10.6). 

thank you - that saved me a lot of work.

Rclark

« Reply #4 on: 6 Apr 2012, 09:13 pm »
What is pre-emphasis?

skunark

« Reply #5 on: 6 Apr 2012, 09:24 pm »