Sneak Preview

avahifi

Sneak Preview
« on: 31 Mar 2012, 04:13 pm »
What power amp costs less than $2000, has 12 separate regulated power supplies, 225 watts per channel, and no vacuum tubes at all, but you would never guess that when you hear it?

Hint: Greyhound fan has already heard the prototype and the final production boards are now up and running perfectly.

Frank Van Alstine

tonyptony

Re: Sneak Preview
« Reply #1 on: 31 Mar 2012, 11:29 pm »
Sigh. Frank, you better not say "and sounds better than a 600R". There's only so much of this we can take, you know. :)

BTW, any hints on whether the review of same is complete?

kip_

« Reply #2 on: 1 Apr 2012, 12:16 am »
Will the prices on the lower powered solid state amps remain the same or a slight increase?

I.Greyhound Fan

« Reply #3 on: 1 Apr 2012, 02:59 am »
Frank, Let me know when you are ready for a review of the amp.

Regards,

Larry

avahifi

« Reply #4 on: 1 Apr 2012, 01:36 pm »
Not to worry, Fet Valve amp owners, your amps are still the very best we can do.

However the new Synergy amp is by far the best solid state amp we have done and does what few solid state amps have ever done - - - capture the emotion and engagement of the music as well as the best tube amps do.

The Synergy 450 is available right now.  Priced much lower that the Fet Valve series, it comes standard with our normal black faceplate.  The thick silver faceplate is a $250 option.  Base price is $1995.

Will we offer lower power versions of this new design?  Possibly, but not for sure.  It will be very difficult to pack the dozen regulated power supplies required into a much smaller chassis.

Upgrades of existing Insight 440 and older versions of our big solid state amplifiers?  Again, possible but we still need to cost those projects out.  It will require new audio boards, new ground plain boards, new output devices, and complete rewiring.  The only parts salvageable will be the chassis, power transformer, and possibly the raw power supply boards.

What I know for sure is that Synergy 450 owners will have the best solid state amplifier they have ever heard with close to the same dynamics and resolution as the Fet Valve hybrid amps but at a lower price and no tubes to ever replace.

And yes Larry, you are welcome to take home a production Synergy 450 to play with right now.

All are welcome to call me for detail.

Frank Van Alstine