Airport Extreme-Do i need it?

kbuzz3

Airport Extreme-Do i need it?
« on: 31 Mar 2012, 03:37 pm »
Hi all i recently moved to a house from an apartment.  I used the airport extreme for my home network in the smaller apartment.  I now use fios with a fios router for the home network.

Is there any reason why i should keep the airport extreme.  I do plan to try an apple mini as a server in my listening room but don't think would matter much.  thanks in advance for any thoughts

Crimson

Re: Airport Extreme-Do i need it?
« Reply #1 on: 31 Mar 2012, 06:56 pm »
I have a D3 wireless router from my ISP as well, but have it attached to an Exreme in bridged mode (I disabled the wireless portion of the D3 router). I have it this way so that I can extend my network to two other Extremes (WDS setup). If you don't need a WDS, then I see no need for it.

skunark

Re: Airport Extreme-Do i need it?
« Reply #2 on: 31 Mar 2012, 07:03 pm »
I would compare the wireless specifications between the fios's router against the AE and then go compare the actual wireless range for both in your house.    You might find one has further reach than the other or worse that you might need both to fully cover your house.   The AE will provide other apple centric features that fios router won't provide, just to name a few: time machine server, file server, Back-to-my-mac, bonjour services, print server and probably a few more. 

My impression with the supplied fios's router was rather positive initially, it's probably the best parental control router i've seen.  My positive experienced turned sour when i noticed one day that my wireless devices could no longer see the wired portion of the network, turns out your ISP will update the firmware, something you won't have control over, and the firmware installed had known bugs with the issue I experienced.    Since you can use your own router, I just picked up an AE and never looked back.