Gone back to vinyl

Wayner

Re: Gone back to vinyl
« Reply #40 on: 16 Apr 2012, 11:56 am »
I'm reading from the front cover of the MOFI sleeves packaging.

W

TomS

« Reply #41 on: 16 Apr 2012, 12:15 pm »
I was reading an earlier thread on sleeves, before I finally bought a bunch of the MF ones last week, that said that early on there were quality issues with the consistency of the Sleeve City sleeves (cut size?). Does anyone know if this has been mitigated since then? It sounds like they were working on it.

smargo

« Reply #42 on: 16 Apr 2012, 12:29 pm »
Hi.Good for you, being digital-analogue 'hybrid'.

Yet I find LPs sounds better than any above digital media MUSICALLY & sonically - more engaging, more emotional & more being-there which any digital medium still lacks.

Now I am virtually giving up digital for over a year for LPs only.

c-J

its a shame you think the way you do - there are some cd's, sacd's and newer format cd's that aren't available on lp - and sound wonderful and are totally engaging - the best of both worlds is where it is at.

you are totally missing out on the listening experience - because of your biased opinions!

michaelhigh

« Reply #43 on: 16 Apr 2012, 12:48 pm »
Yeah, I made it there last weekend and oh were they more than happy to lighten my wallet.  But I could spend the better part of a day looking through their stuff.  Plenty of used, new and tons of variety.  I do miss Aron's Records but Amoeba Records will suffice for a local shop - I'll make pilgrimages there from Orange County.  But Music Direct has been a great online source - packages have been well shipped/protected.
Aron's...there's a heavy memory! I worked there from January 1988 to June 1990. I helped make the move from Melrose Boulevard to Highland Avenue, and that was a backbreaking endeavour, even for 30 full-time employees doing the grunt work. What a great store! In all my years of vinyl shopping, beginning in 1971, they were the best ever, bar none. When I couldn't afford records (they didn't pay great) I recorded LP's onto cassette (nearly constantly, how I got any work done is beyond me, how much I ran that cassette recorder!), and I still have over 1000+ cassettes (still digitizing those as a matter of fact, mostly garage rock and obscure rock still not making it to CD) from that and previous eras of record store employment. I recently reunited with a few old co-workers from Aron's via Facebook, some I thought I'd permanently lost touch with, so that was a nice benefit to social networking in the modern era. I never see Aron's mentioned, good opportunity to pipe up and briefly reminisce about the great times I had working there with the most knowledgeable musician-types ever. I went on to work for Guitar Center after that, and continued to work for them after moving back to the Midwest when GC opened their store #341 (Crestwood, MO) in 1999. Another great memory of music retail/record store experiences that have made my musical life full and blessed. There's no way I can express the value of these and many other experiences in retail and performing music live and how they've informed my life, for sure! :green:

cheap-Jack

« Reply #44 on: 16 Apr 2012, 01:58 pm »
its a shame you think the way you do - there are some cd's, sacd's and newer format cd's that aren't available on lp - and sound wonderful and are totally engaging - the best of both worlds is where it is at.

you are totally missing out on the listening experience - because of your biased opinions!

Take it easy, man!

LIke everybody else, I started with CD, then DVD-audio as I find redbook CD does not sound right musically. DVD-audio (24bit depth & 192KHz sampling rate vs redbook CD's 16bit-44.1KHz) sound so so much better than CDs even on same master soundtraxcks.

But when I switched to LPs a few years back, I started to find I have missed so much musically from these digital formats.

Before I ask you about your music credentials since you criticized me as "totally missing out on listening experience", I listen LPS almost daily
from Beatles, the Eagles to Pavarotti, Domingo, Victoria de Los Angeles, Joan Sutherland, Meryln Horn.

Last Easter, I attended a live concert of a new Boston piano in the Church I am used to go. FYI in case you don't knonw about pianos, Boston is now manufactured in Japan under the liscence of its desingers: Steinway & Son.
It sounds quite different from the old Baldwin piano it replaced.

You may start to guess how these 2 pianso sound different!!!

c-J