Phono cables for WTA & Simplex

roscoeiii

Phono cables for WTA & Simplex
« on: 27 Mar 2012, 07:00 pm »

Well folks, I know that the WTA has the convenient RCA outputs, which may tempt us to put a normal RCA interconnect on the Amadeus. I am here to recommend that you find a proper phono cable terminated with RCA on both ends. Wow was the installation of a Zu Xaus a really nice improvement on my WTA. This was replacing a Straightwire Encore II IC, and the difference was pretty surprising. Go out and get a cable that is designed for the type of low-level signal that comes from a cart to the phono stage. This may be especially important for those of us with LOMC carts.  :thumb:

And if you have a phono cable rec that works well with your WT table, please post suggestions here.

threadkiller

Re: Phono cables for WTA & Simplex
« Reply #1 on: 27 Mar 2012, 10:40 pm »
Hi all,
That's an easy one, Roscoe.  Auditorium A23.  A hands down winner with every cartridge and phono stage.  Cheaper alternative is Mogami with Eichman plugs.

roscoeiii

« Reply #2 on: 27 Mar 2012, 10:46 pm »
What do those Auditorium go for?

threadkiller

« Reply #3 on: 27 Mar 2012, 10:51 pm »
If still current, $495 for .5m and $795 for 1m

roscoeiii

« Reply #4 on: 27 Mar 2012, 11:23 pm »
Which then begs the question of whether the A23 cable or DPS is a more significant upgrade

Sonny

« Reply #5 on: 27 Mar 2012, 11:28 pm »
If still current, $495 for .5m and $795 for 1m

That's a lot of dough for a cable...I have a hard time paying hundreds of dollars for a cable that ends up costing almost as much as the component...

SteveFord

• Volunteer
  • The poodle bites, the poodle chews it.
« Reply #6 on: 27 Mar 2012, 11:29 pm »
Not an Amadeus but my Classic came with Straight Wires and they sound nice enough not to want to swap them out for anything else.

threadkiller

« Reply #7 on: 28 Mar 2012, 01:50 am »
Hmmm.  I'd say get table, cartridge, phono stage, and cables sorted and as best you can or want to do.  Then DPS.  If you have a cable that's weak, that's holding back all the goodness before it, a DPS won't save it.

I will say this from all mine and friend's table experiments...it is so important to have your best cable from tonearm to phono stage.  Source first always applies.
Put your lesser cable from phono stage to preamp.

Put it this way, when a well appointed Amadeus can musically outdo wayyyyyyyy
expensive tables, why hold it back... Enjoy music like the rich folks... Or probably even have better... Lol.

HooStat

« Reply #8 on: 28 Mar 2012, 06:09 pm »
Personally, I would focus on getting a high quality, shielded cable with low capacitance to start with.  Those are the number one priorities on RCA audio cables.  Then, among those that you like, play around and see which ones float your boat and your budget.

bmurphy

« Reply #9 on: 30 Mar 2012, 12:42 am »
I am still using a Morrow Audio PH3 phono cable that replaced a Nordost Frey on my old set up and I am very happy. Not tempted to experiment with other wire for the time being.

mick wolfe

« Reply #10 on: 31 Mar 2012, 05:34 am »
I am still using a Morrow Audio PH3 phono cable that replaced a Nordost Frey on my old set up and I am very happy. Not tempted to experiment with other wire for the time being.

I like Morrow IC's a lot. The initial price looks very intriguing until one punches in a 1 or 1.5 M length and adds copper Eichman's. Nonetheless, I own 3 sets of Morrow IC's and their phono cables look very interesting. Might consider the 2 with standard RCA's to stay within my budget. Do you have Eichman's on your 3's?

roscoeiii

« Reply #11 on: 31 Mar 2012, 06:50 am »
And Morrow cables is constantly having "mega-sales." Doubt they sell anything at list price.

Only IC I tried from them was unshielded, and thus not gonna work in my current rig.

bmurphy

« Reply #12 on: 31 Mar 2012, 10:57 am »
The rest of my ICs are also from the "3" series but are all balanced so no Eichmann plugs.

I believe the PH series might be shielded, hence the separate product grouping even though they are RCA-RCA unless you ask for DIN. Mike is an easy guy to work with so you might drop him a line to confirm. Also, with the 60 day trial period if there are any problems you are only out postage. No affiliation, just happy with his cables.

roscoeiii

« Reply #13 on: 31 Mar 2012, 03:13 pm »
I will have to give them a closer look.  I mistakenly assumed all of the ICs were unshielded. :duh:

mick wolfe

« Reply #14 on: 31 Mar 2012, 03:42 pm »
I will have to give them a closer look.  I mistakenly assumed all of the ICs were unshielded. :duh:

Roscoe.....I believe his phono cables are shielded. I believe his regular IC's remain unshielded unless you request otherwise.

mick wolfe

« Reply #15 on: 31 Mar 2012, 03:46 pm »
The rest of my ICs are also from the "3" series but are all balanced so no Eichmann plugs.

I believe the PH series might be shielded, hence the separate product grouping even though they are RCA-RCA unless you ask for DIN. Mike is an easy guy to work with so you might drop him a line to confirm. Also, with the 60 day trial period if there are any problems you are only out postage. No affiliation, just happy with his cables.

Yes, I just ordered MA3's with Eichman's this week. Not for the phono though. I've pretty much used his IC's exclusively over the last few years.

Kt77

« Reply #16 on: 3 Jun 2012, 06:37 pm »
I've auditioned the CRL Copper Series - Auditorium 23 and Synergistic Research Tricon Analog with my GTA and purchased the latter - as I merely needed something with silver in it, as my highs were slightly in need of more presence and/or resolution. Regards,Oscar

vortrex

« Reply #17 on: 3 Jun 2012, 07:33 pm »
I'm using the Synergistic Research Tricon Analog with my WTA also.

tricka

« Reply #18 on: 24 Jun 2012, 06:56 am »
Ummm..I've been experimenting a little: started out with Signalcable Silver Ref phono cable and matching IC with silver eichmann's: perfect if you have a laid back system but a little zingy if you have a "revealing" system: ie a little forward. Since tried some AR Sound Greenlinks and they work very well: are pseudo balanced as well so helps with the noise floor.

When I can afford it I'll go the Auditorium 23.

Kt77

« Reply #19 on: 24 Jun 2012, 07:33 am »
Ummm..I've been experimenting a little: started out with Signalcable Silver Ref phono cable and matching IC with silver eichmann's: perfect if you have a laid back system but a little zingy if you have a "revealing" system: ie a little forward. Since tried some AR Sound Greenlinks and they work very well: are pseudo balanced as well so helps with the noise floor.

When I can afford it I'll go the Auditorium 23.
Hi Tricka, Small world as I've auditioned the Auditorium 23 Interconnents and Speaker Cables and happen to own a pair of AR Sound Greenlink 5 Pin DIN - RCA's that I use with my Naim Nait 2 for those moments when I want to listen through either an HRT iStreamer hooked to my iPad 2 or via a Heed Audio Quasar for those moment went it's time to switch over to MC's. I don't know why more people in this country aren't more aware of the AR Sound or Crimson Audio RM Music-Link lines. Great cables both. Regards,Oscar