Parasound A21 and P3. Does it qualify as Hi-Fi?

mhconley

Re: Parasound A21 and P3. Does it qualify as Hi-Fi?
« Reply #40 on: 27 Mar 2012, 05:54 pm »
I wanted to pitch in that I had that same setup, Parasound Halo A21 & P3, for the last 4 years or so... IMMHO it is hi-fi.  I loved the sound of the setup.

I recently changed simply to experience something different.  I now have DIY Bang & Olufsen ICEpower 1000ASP based monoblocks (Bel Canto REF 1000M clones) and a YS Audio A2 tube preamplifier that I also like very much.

The best thing was that by purchasing both Parasound units as dealer demos (one on Audiogon and one on eBay) I was able to resell them for what I paid.

Martin

geowak

« Reply #41 on: 27 Mar 2012, 06:30 pm »
Hey Martin

I thought B&O was the first company to implement the ICEpower modules. I guess I thought Bel Canto adopted this technology later???

mhconley

« Reply #42 on: 27 Mar 2012, 07:54 pm »
Hey Martin

I thought B&O was the first company to implement the ICEpower modules. I guess I thought Bel Canto adopted this technology later???

Bel Canto uses the B&O ICEpower 1000ASP modules in their REF 1000M monoblocks.

http://www.audioholics.com/education/amplifier-technology/clone-amplifiers

Martin

I.Greyhound Fan

« Reply #43 on: 27 Mar 2012, 09:00 pm »

So I guess I have Hi-Fi taste on a Mid-Fi budget. So it is not a goal for me to seek Mid-Fi. I will get something that sounds excellent if I can work some magic to get a true High Fidelity rig by spending less money. Used equipment can be a bargain, if the guy selling it is honest about the piece...??

Once again you guys offer opinions I had not thought about, awesome.

Nothing wrong with that.  I am a big bang for the buck guy as I have 2 kids in college.  The A21 is a bang for the buck amp as is my other gear, Van Alstine hybrid Preamp, Hybrid DAC and the ever overachieving Magnepan 1.6 speakers.  If I had the money I would have an all top of the line Conrad Johnson, Audio Research, Atma Sphere system or the new AVA FET Valve gear which again is true Hi Fi and bang for the buck.

I think that the P3 is a good choice to pair with the A21, there should be some nice synergy there, but the A21 really shines with tubes.

Enjoy!

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #44 on: 27 Mar 2012, 09:09 pm »
From my perspective, most are on a hi-fi quest with (bang for the buck) mid-fi budget.  That's where most of the vendors here at AC come on strong.  My Oppo is the only MSRP/large company sourced component in my system.  Everything else is cottage/internet or used or B-stock/internet sourced.  All represent (to me at least) high value hi-fi.

geowak

« Reply #45 on: 25 Jun 2012, 12:03 am »
Ended up buying the P3 preamp and the A21 amp at a good price for a second system.

It sounds very good, not quite as good as my integrated tube amp. I am using some budget Monitor Audio bookshelf speakers, but plan on getting some Magnepan MMG's this fall.

It was worth the money, and I think the power of the A21 will work better with MMGs. Also the P3 has a phono section if I go with TT later....

a.wayne

« Reply #46 on: 26 Jun 2012, 06:45 pm »
The Halo A21 is very much hi-end and is a relative bargain by today prices,  of course it does have  a sonic signature like everything else and in this case it's a smooth and laid back sound, best teamed with  speakers a bit on the bright and forward side, like Wilson's , Horns , et al ...

On Maggies they do  have a good sound , again just a bit laid back for my taste, regardless an excellent amp in finish, design and build quality ...

Worth considering /purchasing ..

geowak

« Reply #47 on: 2 Oct 2012, 04:55 am »
Follow up report for anyone interested...

I have some Magnepan MMG's installed now on stands. The A21 and P3 sound very good with these speakers. As a main, everyday audio system it sounds great. A21 seems to have enough for the planar speakers.

Added a Schiit Bifrost DAC to my digital front end and Jazz sounds very neutral and clean. Thanks for all the comments.
I am enjoying the sound without worries about what I have/have not got!!