Studio Monitor vs other types of speakers.

JBLMVBC

Re: Studio Monitor vs other types of speakers.
« Reply #20 on: 30 Mar 2012, 08:15 pm »
I've owned JBL, am an active advocate, bought my son JBL computer monitors for college graduation, use custom single driver speakers in my main rig, and currently use Altec Lansing 2.1 desktop monitors, so I'm with you.  Just can't imagine getting a meaningful read from a u-tube video.

FYI, here is a video of their equipment for these YouTube films.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X7Kwdn1kg-M&feature=plcp&context=C4962d66VDvjVQa1PpcFNniq6LsSNT2cAzne5BurC8rLvjFjj6n2g%3D

eclein

• Volunteer
  • ..we walk the plank with our eyes wide open!-Gotye
« Reply #21 on: 30 Mar 2012, 08:50 pm »
I currently own and use several old JBL studio monitors- 4312A, 4311B, and regular JBL desktop and bookshelf speakers.
My main rig uses a pair of JBL L830's and an old JBL sub for 2.1 and the monitors for my home theater setup within the same room.
 While I have always enjoyed the sound and continue to today I don't think they are the last word in studio monitors. When I was playing and recording full time I did run into a bunch of studios with JBL's hanging from the ceilings though. That being said I don't recall hearing anything in the way of studio monitors that I would run out and buy for my stereo rig. The 4312A's sound excellent but with todays tech advances there are better I'm sure.

Rclark

« Reply #22 on: 30 Mar 2012, 09:42 pm »
... Really liking these n1x's...

pslate

« Reply #23 on: 30 Mar 2012, 09:50 pm »
Anyone listen to the jbl LSR6332? It's three way and passive :thumb:
That GR Monitor is great, I enjoyed listening to it very much. The N3S would be a lot of fun too.

bunnyma357

« Reply #24 on: 30 Mar 2012, 11:07 pm »
A lot of the purpose of studio monitors is having a somewhat accepted "standard" -  I can hear a mix on JBL 4312's, Genelecs, Yamaha NS-10's or even one of the once popular little Auratone speakers in most any mixing room or edit suite, and have a pretty good idea how that will translate to Computer, TV, Stereo, & Home Theater speakers.

When I mix using my home stereo speakers, I hear a lot of stuff that doesn't translate into what the public hears, it sounds great, but not really helpful as a tool.

Jim C

JBLMVBC

« Reply #25 on: 30 Mar 2012, 11:20 pm »
I currently own and use several old JBL studio monitors- 4312A, 4311B, and regular JBL desktop and bookshelf speakers.
 The 4312A's sound excellent but with todays tech advances there are better I'm sure.

No offense, but their older large monitors are in a class well above smaller monitors. Of course TAD, Fostex or Altec also had serious quality offerings too.