Jet's get Tebow

cujobob

Re: Jet's get Tebow
« Reply #40 on: 23 Mar 2012, 08:15 pm »
Nobody is talking about backup qb Tebow if he isn't religious. This topic only exists because of his views making him a public figure. It's not that he doesn't have athletic ability, but how often do we talk about matt Flynn?

Æ

« Reply #41 on: 23 Mar 2012, 08:25 pm »
All I wanted to get across before the nonsense started is keep his religion out of it, that is all.

Yet somehow or another religion always seems to be a part of it. That spectator in the bleachers holding up the big John 3:16 sign. Or you'll see some players getting down on their knees praying for their team to win as the game clock is running down. Heck, they even call that last desperate pass a "Hail Mary!"

macrojack

• Restricted
« Reply #42 on: 23 Mar 2012, 08:40 pm »
So football is about religion? I always thought it was about sex, what with the emphasis on scoring and penetration. George Carlin did a whole bit on that once, I believe.

Æ

« Reply #43 on: 23 Mar 2012, 09:45 pm »

bunky

« Reply #44 on: 23 Mar 2012, 10:10 pm »
Tebow is a nice guy but why is there so much hype over a mediocre QB ? Tebowmania should have died once Denver was defeated in the NFC playoffs  :duh:

macrojack

• Restricted
« Reply #45 on: 23 Mar 2012, 10:34 pm »
Nice guy played in 14 games last year with this result:

46.5 completion %
12 TDs
6 interceptions
7 fumbles

I forgot to mention that Tebow was able to beat Caleb Haney only because of two (2) horrific blunders by Marion Barber. Thrilled? Yeah, hell yeah, I was beside myself with glee. Looking back now though, I realize that Tebow benefitted from a lot of lucky breaks during his playoff run. Nobody hates Tim Tebow but a considered evaluation makes him a poor prospect.

After extensive personal training over two years Tebow could not master a 3 or a 5 step drop. His instinct is to do happy feet until the defense gets close, then run instead of moving through his progressions. Guys like the Mannings, Brady, Rivers, Brees, Rogers, etc. come into the league with QB skills in place and are then refined and developed. Tim does not possess the basic skills and attempts to impose them over his instinctual responses have failed repeatedly. On top of all that, the Jets have not yet finalized his contract but have let Drew Stanton sign with the Colts.

Broncos are not exactly lighting it up in free agency. I hope the hell they draft well.

jackman

« Reply #46 on: 23 Mar 2012, 10:45 pm »
Nice guy played in 14 games last year with this result:

46.5 completion %
12 TDs
6 interceptions
7 fumbles

For a guy who "doesn't hate" Tebow and has "nothing against him" you happen to chime in with negatives every time anyone mentions his name.  Nice distortion of the stats.  You happened to "forget" the nearly 50 yards per game rushing average, 5.4 yards per carry average and 6 rushing TD's Tebow managed last year.  Focusing on his passing only does not tell the whole story.  He's one of the best rushing QB's in the game.  I'd love to see this guy with an offense built around his strengths as a runner. 

Macro, I suspect your ultra left-wing beliefs play a major factor in your view of Tebow.  He's gone now, you can now enjoy your team.  Let your bitterness and hatred for this guy go.  I don't understand it.  He's not responsible for Tebow mania.  That was a media creation.  From what I understand, he's a good locker-room guy and a decent teammate.  I'm kind of sorry he went to the Jets but from what I understand, they could use a couple good guys in that negative locker room.   

jackman

« Reply #47 on: 23 Mar 2012, 10:45 pm »
NT

macrojack

• Restricted
« Reply #48 on: 23 Mar 2012, 11:02 pm »
Cam Newton ran for 14 TDS in 16 games and averaged 5.6 yds. per carry. He also passed for 21 TDs. And that's what teams are looking for in a QB in the modern NFL. They want a guy who can pass well.

I read that Tebow was injured in the game against the Pats and probably would not have been able to play the next game had there been one. That's what happens to running quarterbacks and it is surely why the franchise guys are instructed to slide. No team wants to lose a great passer for a couple of extra ground yards.

jackman

« Reply #49 on: 23 Mar 2012, 11:23 pm »
Cam Newton ran for 14 TDS in 16 games and averaged 5.6 yds. per carry. He also passed for 21 TDs. And that's what teams are looking for in a QB in the modern NFL. They want a guy who can pass well.

I read that Tebow was injured in the game against the Pats and probably would not have been able to play the next game had there been one. That's what happens to running quarterbacks and it is surely why the franchise guys are instructed to slide. No team wants to lose a great passer for a couple of extra ground yards.

Cam Newton was a monster and will be among the best next year.  He had more yards rushing and is a faster runner than Tebow but I'd take Tebow in a short yardage rushing situation.  Newton had more touchdowns than any RUNNING back (except LeSean McCoy!).  I don't think there is another person in the league with his physical skills.  If your point is, he is better than Tebow, I don't think anyone will argue with you, including me. 

Also, QB's get hurt all the time.  We are very familiar with that in Chicago.  Our QB is always hurt and he rarely rushes.  Tebow is not built like Michael Vick.  He's a big, strong guy and should be able to exploit his skill as a rusher. 

Either way, I was merely pointing out your convenient "accidental" omission of Tebow's rushing stats. 

This is going to be a tough year for me because my favorite player (aside from a few on the Bears) is Payton Manning and I can't stand the Broncos and their horse-toothed GM, Elway.  The addition of Manning, assuming he stays healthy, makes the Broncos a serious SB contender.  They are my pick to win if Manning stays in one piece.  The joker who said Payton is not as good as his brother is smoking crack.  Eli would not even be in my top 5 if I was building a team.  Payton Manning took a crap Colts team to the Dance.  A true measure of Payton's greatness is what happened to the Colts when he was injured.  They went from a playoff contender to the worst team in the league. 

The thought of that buck toothed Elway hoisting the Lombardi trophy, literally makes me nauseous.  Hopefully, the era of the GREAT Jason Campbell will be a suitable diversion.  After all, he's better than Jay Cutler.  Right Macro?   :lol:

jimdgoulding

« Reply #50 on: 23 Mar 2012, 11:38 pm »
I don't think Macro cares for the buck toothed one, either.  That would make at least three of us.

jackman

« Reply #51 on: 23 Mar 2012, 11:47 pm »
I don't think Macro cares for the buck toothed one, either.  That would make at least three of us.

That was not meant as an insult to Macro or anyone (aside from the Horse-toothed one).  I was just sayin...

Lastly, I liked Elway as a player.  How could you not?  He was a great QB, but I hate him now.  Can't explain it but I don't like the "suite" Elway.  Don't get me wrong, signing Manning was a brilliant move.  It doesn't get any better than Payton Manning.  He displayed so much class and professionalism throughout the "interview" period and during his departure from Indy, it only added to my admiration for the man.  Manning could have started a bidding war or gone all "Lebron" and announced in a live reality TV show that he was "taking my talents to..." Denver.  If the Broncos win the SB, I'll be happy for Manning but will immediate turn off the TV when they interview Elway!

Cheers,

J

PS - how long is Tebow going to hold on to that virginity in NYC?  Are you kidding me?  To be a rich, good looking, famous guy in NYC with all of those hot young ladies running around???  I'd be shagging everything in sight.  I just hope he doesn't start hitting the teenie-boppers like his teammate Dirty Sanchez...

macrojack

• Restricted
« Reply #52 on: 23 Mar 2012, 11:52 pm »
If you check back in the archives, you will find my concern that Elway may prove to be another Matt Millen. Naturally I hope that is not the case. The upcoming draft should inform that concern.

My comment (inconvenient as it might be to get it right) was that Jason Campbell may well prove to be better than Cutler. Bear in mind that Campbell has been very unfortunate in his career so far. Oakland and the Deadskins are two of the most mismanaged and disorganized teams in the League. He did pretty well considering the handicaps. Having experienced Cutler in Denver, I know how uneven and mercurial his play can be. Having Brandon Marshall back on his team, should make him more dangerous. Orton and Marshall were a more effective combo for the Broncos, however. And you never know when BM will go off the rails again.

Anyhow, as I said earlier, the Bears have strong potential this year. Maybe stronger than the Bronkies. Serious teams to overcome in both conferences.