Saints Get Slammed

golfugh

• Dead Can Dance - Into the Labyrinth
Saints Get Slammed
« on: 21 Mar 2012, 05:20 pm »
Sean Payton out for a year, GM out for 6 games and $500,000 fine, Asst coach out for 6 games, Gregg Williams (now at St Louis) banned indefinitely.  A lot more fines, etc.

Oh, and Tebow to the Jets.

jimdgoulding

Re: Saints Get Slammed
« Reply #1 on: 21 Mar 2012, 05:23 pm »
WTF??

golfugh

• Dead Can Dance - Into the Labyrinth
« Reply #2 on: 21 Mar 2012, 05:27 pm »
It's the bounty system they were running.  X$ for taking someone out of the game, X$ for taking someone out on a stretcher, etc.  Previously warned by the NFL and it continued.  Goodell dropped the penalties just a bit ago.

rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio Consulting -
« Reply #3 on: 21 Mar 2012, 05:49 pm »
GOOD. They deserve all they get. Extra money to ruin someones carrer is a bit much. A violent game as is we do not need Hit men.

charles

Doublej

« Reply #4 on: 21 Mar 2012, 06:08 pm »
I wonder if any civil or criminal suits will be filed.

chip

« Reply #5 on: 21 Mar 2012, 06:31 pm »
Wasnt' sure if that was what Bounty meant in football but wow is all I can say...really that is another low for a NFL team.....they should get more than 1 year etc.

sebrof

« Reply #6 on: 21 Mar 2012, 06:35 pm »
Wasnt' sure if that was what Bounty meant in football but wow is all I can say...really that is another low for a NFL team.....they should get more than 1 year etc.
In their defense (not that I agree), they say that it just made them play harder and never made a difference how they hit someone. Also that many teams do it.

ESPN reported that they lost two 2nd round pics on top of what golf mentioned in his first post.
I think the NFL needed to do this because of all the other stuff they're implementing; No hits to the head, protecting receivers, etc. But boy does it suck for the Saints. I hope all you Saints fans enjoyed the ride because I don't see them bouncing back from this for a while.

macrojack

• Restricted
« Reply #7 on: 21 Mar 2012, 07:40 pm »
Yikes!!! Ole Roger Goofball really lowered the boom. Sean Payton out a calendar year (not a season). Asst. coach gets 6 games. Brees will have to be coach.
And I read player penalties are yet to come. This is going to devastate them.

Apparently, the severity is meant to send a message league wide. I think the message will be heard. Flag Football coming to NFL.

Berto

« Reply #8 on: 21 Mar 2012, 08:32 pm »
Aints were already 0-5 on the road in the playoffs...do I hear 0-6 :lol:

Not sure why the Jets needed another QB who can't throw accurately.

macrojack

• Restricted
« Reply #9 on: 21 Mar 2012, 08:56 pm »
Now it looks like they may not get him. The Broncos had some fine print in Tebow's contract that would require the Jets to reimburse the Bronkies for money already paid Tebow. It's a stick in the gears at this point.

cujobob

« Reply #10 on: 21 Mar 2012, 09:11 pm »
I'm glad the league cracked down, but to make it seem as though the Saints were the only culprit is unfair. The NFL has made a fortune on violent play throughout it's history. They've allowed violent hits in their commercials over the years but didn't complain when it increased their ratings.

They did warn the Saints, and for that, this could be justified. But it's frustrating to watch some of what is taking place. QBs are treated like small children playing with adults, there's no special teams return game for the most part...some tweaking was necessary, but it's watering down the sport. Perhaps it's for the best...

Lyndon

« Reply #11 on: 21 Mar 2012, 10:24 pm »
I'm with most of the observations mentioned. Football is a violent game, just by the nature of the sport. You can mandate as many rules as you want, people are still going to get hurt. The return game is worthless in my opinion.  Might as well start them on the 20. 
This is going to really impact St. Louis, and I was hoping for a big turn-around for them next year.  I wonder who they will come up with for their defensive coordinator?  It has been a long time since they were the greatest show on turf.

SoCalWJS

« Reply #12 on: 21 Mar 2012, 10:27 pm »
NFL/Goodell sending everybody, teams and players, a clear message that things have to change.

Watched a bit of the segment ESPN showed the other day with Jim McMahon on the after effects of concussions. Supposedly around 100 former players sueing the NFL for not looking after the players when they allegedly knew the long term effects of sending players back in to the game after "getting your bell rung" (concussions).

I think the NFL HAS TO send a message that they will no longer tolerate "dirty" football (however it gets defined).

Watch for an increase in penalties called for hits on "defenseless players" along with more fines..... and zero tolerence for anything resembling bounties.

thunderbrick

• Volunteer
  • I'm just not right!
« Reply #13 on: 21 Mar 2012, 11:00 pm »
On NBC tonight Brian Williams referred to the Saints as a "great and storied", and "legendary" team as a lead in to the story.

Great?  Storied? :stupid: Legendary?   :wtf: :slap:

Packers?  Yes.
Giants? Hardly.
49ers?  Maybe back in the Joe Montana days.
The hated  :lol: Steelers?  Quite possibly.
Colts?  Under Unitas, yes.

But the Saints?  Wasn't THAT long ago that 'aints fans wore paper bags over their heads!!!   :lol: :lol:

jjc1

« Reply #14 on: 22 Mar 2012, 12:12 am »
On NBC tonight Brian Williams referred to the Saints as a "great and storied", and "legendary" team as a lead in to the story.

Great?  Storied? :stupid: Legendary?   :wtf: :slap:

Packers?  Yes.
Giants? Hardly.
49ers?  Maybe back in the Joe Montana days.
The hated  :lol: Steelers?  Quite possibly.
Colts?  Under Unitas, yes.

But the Saints?  Wasn't THAT long ago that 'aints fans wore paper bags over their heads!!!   :lol: :lol:
    Giants hardly?  I think you should go back in your football history my friend. And by the way, how many teams were in 5 Superbowls?  And how many have  4 Superbowl wins?

Berto

« Reply #15 on: 22 Mar 2012, 01:12 am »
Yeah hard to argue with 4 out of 5 Superbowl wins. One of those gainst the 18-0 (at the time) Pats was probably the second biggest upset in Sbowl history, (Namath prob gets that crown).  I luv how on there rings it says 11-0 on the road. They got the most clutch 4th quarter QB in the entire league and a young formidable pass rush which is why the storied Packers got beat at Home in Dec again  :D

JerryM

• Where's The Bar?
« Reply #16 on: 22 Mar 2012, 01:14 am »
The Saints are certainly not the first team to have a bounty system, and they certainly won't be the last. The NFL is doing what they need to do to send a message, and to protect the league. The NFL cannot appear to tolerate this type of behavior, so it has meted out this most-strong punishment.

It's unfortunate that the Saints have tarnished themselves to this degree. They could have had the same bounties, but instead based on turnovers, lost yards, sacks and three-and-outs. They personalized it, and this punishment is what they deserve for being so damned stupid.

Have fun,

Jerry

thunderbrick

• Volunteer
  • I'm just not right!
« Reply #17 on: 22 Mar 2012, 01:14 am »
    Giants hardly?  I think you should go back in your football history my friend. And by the way, how many teams were in 5 Superbowls?  And how many have  4 Superbowl wins?
Nah, they never recovered from '58 and '59!    And the stomping the Ravens laid on Blue Man Group!

Hook, line, and sinker!   :lol: :lol:

JerryM

• Where's The Bar?
« Reply #18 on: 22 Mar 2012, 03:28 am »
Now it looks like they may not get him. The Broncos had some fine print in Tebow's contract that would require the Jets to reimburse the Bronkies for money already paid Tebow. It's a stick in the gears at this point.

It's a done deal. It's unlikely there will be any bigger QB controversy than this one if Sanchez fails to step up.

Letitroll98

• Volunteer
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #19 on: 22 Mar 2012, 03:56 am »
I'm glad the league cracked down, but to make it seem as though the Saints were the only culprit is unfair. The NFL has made a fortune on violent play throughout it's history. They've allowed violent hits in their commercials over the years but didn't complain when it increased their ratings.

They did warn the Saints, and for that, this could be justified. But it's frustrating to watch some of what is taking place. QBs are treated like small children playing with adults, there's no special teams return game for the most part...some tweaking was necessary, but it's watering down the sport. Perhaps it's for the best...

No it's not for the best, you were right before that statement, it's best for the league now because they're liable for hundreds of millions in suits from former players.  And you're also right that it's unfair to single out the Saints, as it was unfair to single out James Harrison, it's not fair, but it's equitable.  Football as we knew it is irrevocably broken, there is now no way to go back, we have to live with it or turn the channel.  One more f'd up thing we can thank lawyers for. 

However there is a solution.  Look at Rugby, Soccer, and Austrailian football, what is different than American football?  Helmets and shoulder pads.  Ban these two items and you immediately fix football.  Everyone would suddenly be very careful about leading with the head.  No more stupid ref interpretations of inane rules, no more need to protect the quarterback, he can protect himself.  Other than banning football, I think it's the only way. 

BTW, for jjc1 and thunderbrick, FWI:
Most Super Bowl victories
Pittsburgh Steelers 6 (IX, X, XIII, XIV, XL, XLIII)
Most Super Bowl appearances
Pittsburgh Steelers 8 (IX, X, XIII, XIV, XXX, XL, XLIII, XLV)
(and the cowgirls)
Most consecutive Super Bowl victories
Pittsburgh Steelers 2 twice (IX, X), and (XIII, XIV)
And a bunch of other teams who did it once.

Just sayin'.....