15 (20.8%)
up to $30000
13 (18.1%)
over  $30000 new
17 (23.6%)
over  $30000 used
4 (5.6%)

Total Members Voted: 72

How much do you think the whole system should cost?

Laundrew

• "Sometimes it rains inside my head..."
Re: How much do you think the whole system should cost?
« Reply #20 on: 18 Mar 2012, 02:26 am »
You know that all is lost when you spend more on the cables for your new system than what you spent on the system you are replacing...

I even pressed the wrong button when I voted :duh:

Be well....

werd

« Reply #21 on: 18 Mar 2012, 02:26 am »
More then you can can count on your fingers and toes.

TONEPUB

« Reply #22 on: 18 Mar 2012, 02:46 am »
I think it's like any other thing you enjoy.  You don't necessarily start out with a set figure in mind, it depends on how obsessed you get...

Chromisdesigns

• Darla, our beach cat, contemplating the sea
    • Fine-gemstones.com
« Reply #23 on: 18 Mar 2012, 02:59 am »
If you're talking about the pic on my Facebook page, that's pretty much my main system. Just got a little carried away with analog sources.  (6 turntables...)

The first-ever A/B/C/D/E/F turntable shootout? 

thunderbrick

• Volunteer
  • I'm just not right!
« Reply #24 on: 18 Mar 2012, 03:05 am »
Crap!  I forgot to add that I bought my current (and last) home specifically to accommodate my DQ10s back when.  If you consider that a "room treatment" it pushes me over $100K!   :duh:  :lol:

And then there was the $6K that cost me to redo the room three years ago.  Best thing I ever did! :thumb:

Diamond Dog

• Chameleon, Comedian, Corinthian and Caricature
« Reply #25 on: 18 Mar 2012, 03:05 am »

I even pressed the wrong button when I voted :duh:

Not to worry, Laundrew...we're all a little dizzy from doing the mental calculations involved and then trying to process/rationalize what we've come up with.   :o  :green:

D.D.

neekomax

« Reply #26 on: 18 Mar 2012, 04:40 am »
$1,080 Soundfield Audio Monitor 1 speakers with stands       
$380 (used) Acurus DIA-100 Mk II amp       
$600 (refurb) Peachtree Audio Decco Pre/DAC
$220 Marantz SACD/CD player (I forget which)
$100 Apple TV2
$200 Cables, year's Spotify subscription, etc.
$220 (used) GIK Tri-Traps and pair 242 panels
_____

$2,800 grand total for awesome sound. Beat that!  :D

TONEPUB

« Reply #27 on: 18 Mar 2012, 05:21 am »
Used CJ PV-12   $600
Used CJ MV-50  $500
Used ML Aerius Speakers, $450
Used LP-12 turntable, $500

Cables, $200

That's the best I can do...

mv038856

« Reply #28 on: 18 Mar 2012, 10:48 am »
I still don't understand the question.  Is it how much we have spent on our current system(s), how much we would like to spend before diminishing returns (for me/us) set in, or how much is the least expensive musically enjoyable system we think we can assemble?

I think you are right!

The answers in this thread, however, suggest that most of them interpret the question in a way that it is the system they own... How could your personal vote in $$$ be wrong...  :lol:

The used/new discussion makes things even more fuzzy. Looking just at my Bryston components (14B SST, 2x 6B SST, SP1.7, BP-25), they easily surpass the $30k in new list price, especially if you consider the higher prices overseas. On the other hand, I have paid a fraction of that amount buying the stuff used.

As most of the users that have replied here, I didn't wake up one morning and decided to spend a fortune on my audio/video setup. For me, it was more like starting small and improving the system(s) as funds and opportunity were given. Of course, technological advancements and new formats also trigger investments that often trigger other improvements.

On the other hand, I have heard small and relatively inexpensive systems, that have an incredible performance. As a stereo setup, I currently run a BP-25 Phono with a pair of Dynaudio Focus 110A active monitor speakers and a Logitech/Slim Devices transporter as a source. On the used market, you can get the components at around $4K and the performance is stunning. I also like my kitchen system with a B60-R, a pair of Dynaudio Audience 42, a Logitech Squeezebox 3, an ancient Kenwood DP-1000 CD-Player and a great sounding Kenwood KT-1100SD FM Tuner. If you are lucky, you could get the components used at slightly over $1K and the performance is at a level, where an audiophile doesn't have to hit the "emergency off" button, which is the case with so many low quality setups... :lol:

O.k., that's another 2 cents.

Cheers!

Markus

tim92gts

« Reply #29 on: 18 Mar 2012, 11:44 am »
Room size and thus power needed must be the biggest influence.
We built a conservatory basically for the sound / cinema system and it's really been the best thing for the house ever.
Thus spent a fair bit but don't begrudge any of it.
The Bryston / PMC costs were high but fantastic value and something we appreciate every single day.

Only temptation is to get a pair of XB3s and go active but then we'd get more out of an upgrade to the
internet connection really.

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #30 on: 18 Mar 2012, 12:02 pm »
Are the kids still being fed?  Seriously audio is a luxury and you should live within your means.  Don't be obsessive.

Another guideline: Stop spending if you can't really hear the difference (that would be sick).  What "moves" any of us is different from most others, so its OK if your's is "bigger" than mine.  (Audio is primarily a "guy thing" right?  Glad you're here Elizabeth.  :thumb: )

Final guideline: what is your value system?  You must decide what the best balance is in your life.  Most of us have limited resources, time, interests.  Don't ignore your family; get outside once in a while; keep up with the repairs; save for college, retirement, even vacations.

DaveNote

• Without music, life would be a mistake. Nietzsche
« Reply #31 on: 18 Mar 2012, 12:07 pm »
The interesting thing, to me, about this thread is that indirectly replies have talked about price/performance.

The replacement cost of my main system is off the chart in terms of the figures given in the survey. I recently added a second system that cost about a $1000. The main system, to be sure, is better to my ears, but it is easy for me to imagine that others might prefer the second system, notwithstanding the cost differential between the two systems.

When I advise people about what to spend on a system I always tell them it depends entirely on whether or not they like the sound. Specifically, I say, "If you like what you get from a boom box then it's the best system in the world for you."

Dave

john1970

« Reply #32 on: 18 Mar 2012, 12:19 pm »
Interesting question that directly correlates to how much disposal income one has.  Personally, I have never purchased a component that cost more than four figures because for me that is the limit of what I can justify spending on this hobby. 

Cheers,

John

tim92gts

« Reply #33 on: 18 Mar 2012, 12:50 pm »
Interesting question that directly correlates to how much disposal income one has.  Personally, I have never purchased a component that cost more than four figures because for me that is the limit of what I can justify spending on this hobby. 

Cheers,

John

i look at it from a different direction, having blown more than we can really justify i make sure the system is used as much as possible. Thus partner and children are all regular users and we use the room for parties.
Daughters friends think the system is amazing for their favourite films and it makes me happy to see them all dancing along to some dodgy pop.
Only regret is that i didn't set it up years ago insraed of buying a car.

bjski

« Reply #34 on: 18 Mar 2012, 03:38 pm »
Main system mostly new some used,north of $40,000.
Home theater south of $18,000. I need to replace the main speakers. The electronics and the sub are $15,000.
2 other systems around $2000
and a B&W Zeppelin
Headphone"s Sennhieser HD650
HiFiman HD600
Shure 530 earbuds iqube headphone amp. Eventually I'll purchase the Bryston headphone amp.

Next purchase's new speakers for the home theater. Need a Bit 20 for the main system.
Most of the electronics are Bryston only the preamp's and the blue ray player are not.

bjski

« Reply #35 on: 18 Mar 2012, 03:43 pm »
Failed to mention I love my main system but where's the price justification.
Now I want the new Bryston surround sound processor.
When does it end? :duh:

rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio Consulting -
« Reply #36 on: 18 Mar 2012, 04:34 pm »
  Your not going to like hearing this. It is NOT the money spent that matters. Anyone who has big bucks can just keep throwing money at the system with only lateral moves.
   The key is to be able to put together a system which provides proper tonality, harmonic structure and correct timbre resuling in emotional impact.  Design parameters and impedance matching plays a role as well. Synergy of all plays the most important role more than any amount of money can solve. So experience with listening to many different components and systems creates a learning curve. The more we experience the more we learn about what WE like. Which  is key in determining the final outcome.
    It is up to YOU to put it all together. So get a cracking and listen, listen and listen.

charles

Diamond Dog

« Reply #37 on: 18 Mar 2012, 04:59 pm »
  Synergy of all plays the most important role more than any amount of money can solve.

charles

Just for the sake of discussion, when you look at all of the different systems which members have assembled you see all kinds of things used with all kinds of things to what one would assume to be good effect. I mean while many would say that they want to hear more ( insert x-factor here ), it's rare to see anyone saying their system sounds tragic...

So what of synergy?  For all the bowing down before the power of synergy to make or break a system, is it at least somewhat over-rated?

:peek:

D.D.

milford3

« Reply #38 on: 18 Mar 2012, 05:33 pm »
Higher cost of equipment does not equal better performance.  I picked up my cell phone calculator and added up the total cost of my system.  Although modest, I was shocked at the total.  It came in over 10k.   

Diamond Dog

« Reply #39 on: 18 Mar 2012, 06:25 pm »
Higher cost of equipment does not equal better performance. 

I think once you reach a certain point, the differences would be pretty subtle. Up to that point, I think there can be a correlation made between price and performance although not in all cases.
In my own experience as an example, I have owned a grand total of 5 CDP's in my checkered career as a hi-fi enthusiast:

a) some Technics thing
b) Arcam Alpha 5+
c) Arcam Delta 270
d) Bryston BCD-1
e) Estoteric K-03

As you can imagine, pretty big spread in terms of cost between these units but as you go down through that list, there's a lot of performance improvement as well... and I would say that, for myself, I would hold the same opinion regarding the different speakers, amps and preamps I've owned as well. As I said earlier though, beyond a certain point I would think you're basically choosing your preferred sonic colorations, etc. more so than making great strides in overall sound quality. Those who have had the opportunity to actually experience the stratospheric end of what " The Hobby " has to offer ( Hello TONEPUB ! ) would have a better handle on that than I would.

Do you need to blow high dough to enjoy music? Hell no. I think audiophiles are largely viewed as some sort of societal aberration by the public at large, if and when they can bother think of us at all... :green:

D.D.