Mac Mini, Apple Tv, iPod/iPhone

Voodoochilly

Mac Mini, Apple Tv, iPod/iPhone
« on: 16 Mar 2012, 03:15 pm »
Hello..Im trying to put a system together for the first time.

I really like the Magnepan 1.7 or 3.5r and I'm thinking of using a Cary v12r or the 120s.

Trying to get an idea if i should use Mac Mini, Apple Tv, iPod/iPhone. I know if I use the iPod/iPhone
I need to get an additional piece of equipment to mount the iPod/iPhone and connect to a DAC.

Which one of these is the best bet or is it strictly preference? 

Thanks

Crimson

Re: Mac Mini, Apple Tv, iPod/iPhone
« Reply #1 on: 16 Mar 2012, 03:51 pm »
Hello, and welcome to AC!

Very nice selection of equipment (I've used V12Rs with 3.6s with great results), and personally would not consider feeding it with either an Airport Express or Apple TV. The iphone/iPad/iPod are great for controlling your library, but again, I wouldn't use them as a primary source. Of course it's all preference, but I'd use a Mini feeding an outboard dac. Which preamp are you considering?

srb

« Reply #2 on: 16 Mar 2012, 04:54 pm »
If you use the Airport Express or Apple TV you will have a limitation of 16bit/48KHz and a somewhat higher jitter optical output to a DAC.

If you use an iPod, iPhone or iPad as the source it will be anchored to a dock, you will need to use a second iDevice for convenient remote control and it won't be able to play Internet Radio playlists.

The Mac Mini will give you an optical output good for 24bit/96KHz, the option to use USB to a USB DAC or interface for up to 24bit/192KHz and the option to use one of the improved iTunes playback engine plug-ins such as Pure Music, etc.

Steve

Voodoochilly

« Reply #3 on: 16 Mar 2012, 08:38 pm »
Thats a good question Crimson....i have not decided on a preamp yet but have heard good things about the Cary SLP 98. Any suggestions? Did you ever hear the Maggie 3.5 or just the 3.6?

Also, in my excitment..I bought a Music Hall 25.3 and was thinking about getting the Wadia 171i but I was wondering if i might be better off just using a my Mac Mini..

mcgsxr

« Reply #4 on: 16 Mar 2012, 09:06 pm »
You are quoting what I would consider high end speakers and associated gear, so you likely do want to invest some in the front end.

That said, I am very happy streaming lossless from my iPod Touch via the Audioengine W2 ($99).  It lets you keep the iPod on you, and the tiny receiver (pocket sized including power supply) does the rest.

Voodoochilly

« Reply #5 on: 17 Mar 2012, 01:13 am »
srb...thanks for the info. I was unaware of websites like Pure Music. I checked it out..looks good. Do you have any favorites or is Pure Music what you use? I friend once mentioned to me a site callled Jriver I think...is it similar do you know?

srb

« Reply #6 on: 17 Mar 2012, 01:36 am »
srb...thanks for the info. I was unaware of websites like Pure Music. I checked it out..looks good. Do you have any favorites or is Pure Music what you use? I friend once mentioned to me a site callled Jriver I think...is it similar do you know?

J.River Media Center is a Windows-only program and because I have a Windows PC, that's what I use.  J.River has the ability to bypass the internal Windows mixer through the use of WASAPI and ASIO drivers, which iTunes cannot access.  But I also do use iTunes as an auxillary player to stream to several Airport Express in other zones.

The Mac and OS X does not have the audio limitations that Windows has, so iTunes sounds better on the Mac, but can still be further improved with companion playback engine software like Pure Music, Amarra and others, while still retaining the iTunes interface and its music database management features.

If I had a Mac I would most likely use iTunes and Pure Music.

Steve

kmmd

• 5 mos.= My VAC is back - now silver w/phono
    • Systems
« Reply #7 on: 17 Mar 2012, 06:20 pm »
Hello and welcome to the AC!

I have a system similar to the one that you are thinking about.  I have biamped 3.6's as my main speakers incorporated into an all Maggie HT system.

Maggie's are extremely revealing of everything upstream as I'm sure you know.  Using your Mac Mini would be an excellent server.  I use a new i7 Mac mini with internal SSD, 8G RAM, and a FireWire external HD which stores my iTunes music files.  I also use Pure Music and may try Audnirvana plus.  Amarra is also available.  This is connected by USB to my Antelope Zodiac Gold DAC with Voltikus PS.  I go directly out to my amp (after my active crossover of course) from the DAC/preamp.  This is controlled by the Remote app on my iPhone or my new iPad.  This has been the most revealing and satisfying setup thus far.

I have tried a second gen Apple TV connected to my whole house wired home network and using the iMac HD in my office.  I was sorely disappointed with the results.  The Apple TV is now in my bedroom as part of that system.

I HTH.

Voodoochilly

« Reply #8 on: 18 Mar 2012, 12:18 am »
Thanks srb..that sounds right. This guy does have a windows system.

That sounds like a very nice system you have there kmmd. We are building an addition onto our house and im going to make a room above the addition my music room...construction wont be completed until October..November but im very excitted...

Thank everyone for the feed back and insight. Its nice to see a group dedicated for Mac people..