Scott F.

Re: Music Caravan Time
« Reply #40 on: 24 May 2012, 01:41 am »
See you guys at the Grille :thumb:

steve k

« Reply #41 on: 24 May 2012, 01:46 am »
We can try this.

1.10 am           Breakfast at the U. City Grill                 ( 6696 Enright - 314.721.3073 )
2.11 am          Vintage Vinyl                                     (6610 Delmar - 314.721.4096)
3.12:30 pm   Euclid Records                                ( 601 East Lockwood 314.961.8978)
4. 1:30          Music For Pleasure                         (7475 BigBend Blvd 314-961-5747)
               Or  St.Louis Stereo                             ( 2020 Washington )

5. 4:00 till ?    Record Exchange/Food&Beer        (5320 Hampton Ave - (314)832-3220)

If anyone would like to add anything or has any suggestions  throw it out there. All I can say is save your coins cause your gonna need them.
Sturgus

Sounds good to me. I'll have to bug out after Record Exchange though.

steve k

Blackmore

« Reply #42 on: 24 May 2012, 01:20 pm »
The Grille at 10   :D

Nice of us to pick the damn hottest day of 2012 to shop for vinyl.  We can store all of our purchases in my black Jetta.  :lol:

Scott F.

« Reply #43 on: 24 May 2012, 01:43 pm »
Only if it's in the trunk!

Blackmore

« Reply #44 on: 25 May 2012, 10:46 pm »
Did anyone check and see if St. Louis Stereo was open tomorrow?

daves

« Reply #45 on: 27 May 2012, 12:48 pm »
A shout out to all that Liam and I had a blast! The Grille was a curve ball, as Liam was all prepped for eggs, bacon, and waffles, but he hung with the Korean kimimbob. He gleefully picked out a Cyndi Lauper accoustic cd at Vintage Vinyl, and followed that up with a Dexter Gordan, Joey DeFrancisco, and Miles Davis compilation at Euclid Records.

We came home as Liam started to watch the clock, and he spun them on the player all afternoon. 8)

Blackmore

« Reply #46 on: 27 May 2012, 01:47 pm »
How's everyone feeling after the Korean "breakfast of champions"?

Great time and I scored some obscure vinyl at Vintage Vinyl.  Someone had clearly moved on past the "I like Mozart" stage of their classical collecting. 

1. "15 Poems from 'das buch der hangenden garten' by Stefan George"  Arnold Schoenberg on a 10" DG
2. "the trumpet in contemporary chamber settings"  Tony Plog playing some pieces I played in college. 
3. "Charles Ives :Music for Chorus"  Gregg Smith Singers
4.  Elliot Carter Symphony No. 1 performed by the Louisville Orchestra

Then I picked up two classics at Euclid.
1. "Time Further Out"  Dave Brubeck
2. "British Steel"  Judas Priest (new vinyl)

I apologize to everyone in GAS and AudioCircle for not getting British Steel out of Scott's car and playing it on the big Dynaudio/Boulder rig at Music for Pleasure.   :icon_twisted: :icon_twisted: :icon_twisted: :icon_twisted:

Today's bonus question is:  Why did the Dynaudio Consequence Ultimate have more vinyl rumble (very visible from the seating area)in the right channel than the left channel?   No cheating and you may use your calculators. 

It was great to see everyone again and I miss the listening sessions.  Please come out west to my place or host something in town so we can talk audio and listen to some tunes.

P.S.  Thanks to Scott for helping me lose a little more hearing.  While Dr. Dre was impressive, I think I liked the rap version of "Honky Tonk Badonkadonk" best.   :thumb:

gooberdude

« Reply #47 on: 28 May 2012, 07:01 am »
Definitely subscribed to see what causes difft rumble in the channels.  I saw the rumble at MFP a few weeks back in that room, can't believe a mega-buck set-up would chuf & huff so bad. 

At low Hz, aren't we told that vinyl tracks are cut mono?  40Hz and under?     :violin:

Regardless, my guess is that late in the day most of the guys were only seeing clearly out of one eye...or squinting too much due to the bright sheen cast by the brass lips around the Dynaudio drivers. 

All i really want to know is why the big woofers are at the top     :lol:   We'd never notice the rumble if the woofers were where they're supposed to be.   

KenSeger

• Heavy and noisy, but beautiful
    • Ken's Plain Jane Website
« Reply #48 on: 28 May 2012, 12:41 pm »
Today's bonus question is:  Why did the Dynaudio Consequence Ultimate have more vinyl rumble (very visible from the seating area)in the right channel than the left channel?   No cheating and you may use your calculators. 

Ok teacher. I didn't really look in that room much so I can't remember anything except the turntable and the speakers.
I can think of a myriad of screw ups that could cause this, but the only obvious one would be:
1. one speaker but not the other speaker, just by dumb luck, happens to be sitting where a resonant amplitude point (opposite of a node/null point - i.e. 90 degrees from null point) and the turntable is also.  This could be via air or the floor. OR instead of speaker to turntable, speaker to microphonic tube.
Perhaps, but bizarre:
2. really whacked out setting on the antitskating with the tonearm/cartridge resonance being at that exact frequency with a dissimilar compliance (damaged cantilever suspension) on that one 45 degree angle for that channel?!?

After that, uh, it is occurring in both channels but somewhere in the audio chain one channel doesn't have the frequency response to reproduce it?
Ken

BPT

• Industry Participant
  • Balanced Power Technologies
« Reply #49 on: 28 May 2012, 01:32 pm »
I'll go with door number 2.
Chris H.

bside123

« Reply #50 on: 28 May 2012, 01:40 pm »
P.S.  Thanks to Scott for helping me lose a little more hearing.  While Dr. Dre was impressive, I think I liked the rap version of "Honky Tonk Badonkadonk" best.   :thumb:

Oh no... :no_hear:

Blackmore

« Reply #51 on: 28 May 2012, 03:18 pm »
Speaking of loud, Duane told us that the Dynaudio guys wanted to really crank the Consequence Ultimates during the afterhours session of MFP open house.  It was already loud but they told the Boulder rep to "CRANK IT" and they clipped the Boulder 2060 amp.  600 watts continuous with 1200 watts peak.   :o

On an unrelated note: stevek took pictures of the Caravan and hasn't posted them yet.  Isn't that some sort of violation of Bob in St. Louis rules?  No pictures or it didn't happen.

Great to see everyone again and particularly to marktwain who rode the bike down from Quincy. Three hours down Highway 79 in the heat.  Good to see Mark again and he's been part of the Maggie club for a few years, running a pair he bought from Deadfish.  Cool!  Sturgus, thanks for asking about the Yamamoto cartridge; its memory only stings a little bit.   :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: My audio karma has been bad lately.  Since you're free on Tuesdays, lets get together so I can hear your Koetsu. 

All the records cleaned up just fine with a trip through the Spin Clean and its been a great Memorial Day weekend spinning some old vinyl. 

Scott F.

« Reply #52 on: 28 May 2012, 04:45 pm »
Had a great time catching up with everybody again. It was nice seeing Mark make the trek down from Quincy. It's been what....at least three years now?

I picked up about 8 or 10 pieces of wax. Grabbed the new Warren Haynes (Govt Mule) album plus a bunch of Blue Note reissues. I'll get the table spinning later today and give them a listen.

Speaking of tables, Goob (Matt), with some luck I should have your ES1 ready by this next weekend. Blackmore brought the SME arm to the caravan. I'll get the armboard made and installed sometime this week. Not sure of you are interested by MFP has a decent demo Pro-ject Phono Box SE for $250 if you are interested.

Speaking of phonostages, somebody mentioned the Soundsmith MMP3 is getting a lot of attention and is pretty good for something under $500
http://www.sound-smith.com/preamp/
I haven't heard one yet but Peter has a fine sounding line of gear. Might be worth considering.

gooberdude

« Reply #53 on: 28 May 2012, 10:06 pm »
Woo woo!!    I was just at the folks looking at 5 large moving boxes containing all my LP's.  Time to dust those puppies off and haul 'em downtown.

Looks like i'll have an SAE 1000LT cartridge + Ray Samuels Nighthawk phono preamp, another GAS purchase.   If I had to buy a new one, the SoundSmith MM3 was on my short list.  Maybe we can keep passing the ES1 to GAS members as the years go by?  I'll get a  brass knife edge bearing ordered off ebay this week hopefully.

Sorry I missed the caravan, but I definitely owe the both of you (and now catastrophe!) many thanks for helping rekindle my vinyl addiction. 

Hopefully the caravan left a few Herb Alpert & the Tijuana Brass albums in the record stores for me.     :green:

sturgus

« Reply #54 on: 30 May 2012, 05:41 am »
I had a great time hanging out with you guys. It's taking a day or so to recoup from the Koren Breakfast  :lol:. Maybe next time we can do the Bread company  :D. Mark, I am free most Tue. so let me know when. Right now I have the SAE mounted instead of the Koetsu, It sounds quite good when you think it only cost $200 bucks. Steve where are the Pic's?
Sturgus

Bob in St. Louis

• Facilitator
  • "Introverted Basement Dwelling Troll"
« Reply #55 on: 30 May 2012, 12:51 pm »
Steve where are the Pic's?
He's having a hard time with the gallery here. Seems his gallery page won't load? He and I have been chatting about it, but so far, I've not been much help. It's been years since I even looked at my gallery here.  :oops:

Bob

Scott F.

« Reply #56 on: 30 May 2012, 02:22 pm »
I was able to get at Steve's gallery. Here you go;

....pause for lots of clicks.....

....well crap. I can't imbed his pics in my post  :duh:

Oh well, here is the link to the pics;
GAS Music Caravan 2012

steve k

« Reply #57 on: 30 May 2012, 02:33 pm »
Well at long last, here are some pics of the Gas Vinyl Caravan 2012 per GAS rule 6501-33-subsection 0.004 slash D regarding reality and photos. A good time was had by all this year hitting the U City Grille (or should I say, the U City Grille hitting us) for breakfast, Vintage Vinyl, Euclid Records, Music for Pleasure, Joey B's for lunch and Record Exchange.

Yes the rumble in one channel was mysterious in the $200,000 plus? Mega system this year.  Perhaps the right channel woofer blasting in the direction of the table had something to do with it?

Mark, it was troubling to hear the continued saga of the Yamamoto cart. I think you should consider therapy. Hopefully the folks at Soundsmith will exorcise you of your demons. It might make good grist for a documentary film.  :roll:

It is a tribute to our vinyl lovers that we braved the hottest day of the year here in the quest for vinyl. Of course it could have been worse--we could have been playing golf.  :lol:

We made a good haul, particularly Sturg who was debating how he was going to get his stash into the AC without Cynthia seeing it.

Joe K, Mark G stopped by afterwards to listen to a few of our finds. Mine sounded great after a quick once over with my antique Discwasher. Johnny Hartman's "I Just Dropped by to Say Hello" was warm and mellow enough to end wars.

A good time was had by all.

Steve K

We hunt for vinyl at Vintage Vinyl.

Euclid Records readies itself for Mark G.

Sturg expounds on the finer points of jazz.

Mega system at Music for Pleasure

Mark makes a point about unbalanced rumble.

The King of Dyne

Clearaudio simplicity.

The Boulder...enough said.

Simaudio Moon/Sonus Faber/Clearaudio

The sexy Cremona

Magnetic bearing..hmmm. Look ma, no connection at the top!

The Record Exchange--Sturg, Joe K and Mark try to stay out of the sun.  :o

Ahhhh....vinyl.

Bob in St. Louis

• Facilitator
  • "Introverted Basement Dwelling Troll"
« Reply #58 on: 30 May 2012, 02:41 pm »
Oh cool...I've been tinkering with the pictures in the link Scott sent, but looks like you got 'em all Steve. Good deal. Sorry I wasn't more help.

Scott F.

« Reply #59 on: 30 May 2012, 03:10 pm »
When did I loose all my hair?  :scratch:  :lol:

Mark makes a point about unbalanced rumble.