Need preamp suggestions

macrojack

• Restricted
Need preamp suggestions
« on: 14 Mar 2012, 12:01 am »
I'm posting my request for help in the solid state circle in the hope that I can be spared unnecessary and unwanted tube preamp detours.

Here's what I need:

- minimum 4 inputs

-remote volume and mute essential and random source access appreciated

-balanced outputs

- ultra high resolution

-ultra high signal to noise

-no clicking volume ladder

-on board phono section

Please resist recommending tubes - I've had them - I know I don't want them.

I really want a Luxman C-1000f but it's $30,000, which is way beyond anything I could justify. I'm thinking I might wind up with another Rowland Capri unless you guys have a better suggestion.

Rclark

Re: Need preamp suggestions
« Reply #1 on: 14 Mar 2012, 12:20 am »
the Emotiva XSP-1 is due in May if you can wait that long. Bout two months. Rumor: it's awesome.

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #2 on: 14 Mar 2012, 12:21 am »
the Emotiva XSP-1 is due in May if you can wait that long. Bout two months. Rumor: it's awesome.
:scratch:

Freo-1

« Reply #3 on: 14 Mar 2012, 12:37 am »
If you did not require a built in phono section,  would otherwise strongly recommend a Pass Labs unit.  I have a X2.5, and was amazed what an improvemnt it made with music reproduction.

The Pass Labs also make a outstanding phono section as well. 

geowak

« Reply #4 on: 14 Mar 2012, 01:03 am »
I would look at the Parasound JC 2. These links describe the preamp in detail, it is an outstanding unit.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KIqS844NOFc
http://www.positive-feedback.com/Issue34/halo_jc2.htm
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S-ArJkVrHYA

Rclark

« Reply #5 on: 14 Mar 2012, 01:37 am »
:scratch:

That's just the rumor. Anyway, specs wise it fills all his needs. However, I'm sure he could spend a lot more if he wanted, this would be brand new grand to two grand class, whatever that means.

K Shep

« Reply #6 on: 14 Mar 2012, 01:47 am »
I would look at the Parasound JC 2. These links describe the preamp in detail, it is an outstanding unit.

+1, does the JC2 offer a built in phono section?

doug s.

• makin' music
« Reply #7 on: 14 Mar 2012, 04:47 am »
http://www.stereophile.com/content/upgraded-11a-line-preamplifier-now-available
o.p specifically said no tubes was essential, as well as remote wolume being essential.

i would suggest electrocompaniet ec4.7 or 4.8.  i have no direct experience, but an older non-reomte ec-1a i used to own was excellent, for solid state.  outboard fono would be needed; these meet all your other criteria.  and, they are awailable on the used market at decent prices.  another option would be the abrahamsen v3.0 - this is a new company, founded by one of the former ec founders. but good luck getting an audition - no usa dealers.   the preamp looks nice - a lot like the ec gear - and retails for ~$1500.

now, here's one that doesn't meet all your criteria, but might still be worth a look.  if you can deal w/a passive preamp, only 3 inputs (get a switchbox) and only rca inputs/outputs, you would be hard pressed to find any preamp at any price w/higher resolution, imo.  and, at a price of only $400 shipped, it is not a big expenditure.   :green:  i am talking about the diyparadise eva-2.  i actually use one between my modded melos ma333r cuz eva-2's remote is so much more user friendly, and it actually took the resolution and dynamics up a notch, w/the melos' wolume pots max'd out...

doug s.

saisunil

« Reply #8 on: 14 Mar 2012, 05:03 am »
May be Paul can make you a solid state one ... I have one - it is kept on all the time
http://tuberesearchlabs.com/products.htm

Tone Depth

• Music Lover
    • SRLPE Wheel Works
« Reply #9 on: 14 Mar 2012, 05:08 am »

timind

• permanent vacation
« Reply #10 on: 14 Mar 2012, 11:11 am »
I was getting ready to tpe in the PS Audio PCA-2 until I went back and read your list more closely. The PCA-2 doesn't have on-board phono but other than that, it meets your criteria.
It's not as pretty as the Capri, but it is built extremely well and sounds fantastic.

Ericus Rex

« Reply #11 on: 14 Mar 2012, 11:39 am »
+1, does the JC2 offer a built in phono section?

I don't think so.  You'd have to get the JC2/3 combo which goes against the OP.  Lack of tubes AND onboard phono sure do limit the possibilities.  I'll give it some thought as nothing comes to mind right now.

macrojack

• Restricted
« Reply #12 on: 14 Mar 2012, 11:39 am »
Thanks for the suggestions so far.

I have owned the Parasound JC-2 and it qualifies nicely on several counts in that it sounds very good, has balanced outputs and remote, and has enough inputs. My system doubles as the sound for my living room 2 channel theater. Therefore, I respond to feedback from my family. The JC-2 remote is a weak link, so to speak, and the gain is too high. My speakers are very efficient and we had a difficult time finding a comfortable playback level in the very small range allowed between silent and deafening, especially by remote.
Before the Parasound, I had a JRDG Capri which they all loved. I'm going to get another Capri unless someone here can point me toward something preferential. This sets the bar rather high. The Capri is very good and meets all of my criteria. But I do want considered suggestions if you have any.

Elizabeth

• So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish
« Reply #13 on: 14 Mar 2012, 03:01 pm »
Bryston BP-26 preamp is available with a phono board installed.
The BP-26 does have a separate power supply. So if one box is required, the BP-26 is two boxes.. They are thin and elegant.. and can be stacked, (though that is not fully recommended)

I have the BP-26 and the separate phono box from Bryston in my system. About $5,000 for the BP-26 sans phono

I would say the most impressive thing about the Bryston is clarity. You get out what you put in.
The balanced out is fine, and the volume is not stepped, and the remote is a heavy metal one.

macrojack

• Restricted
« Reply #14 on: 14 Mar 2012, 03:18 pm »
Elizabeth - I hadn't even thought of Bryston but I'll look into it. That's exactly the sort of nudge I was looking for when I opened this thread.

doug s.

• makin' music
« Reply #15 on: 14 Mar 2012, 04:01 pm »
macro, if you are looking in the bp-26 price range, checking out the ec 4.8 would not be a bad idea.  it has gotten nice rewiews, is attractive, and its (outboard) phono stage also has gotten good rewiews.  (the phono stage in my old ec-1a was quite outstanding.)  dagogo did a rewiew of the 4.8 where it compared favorably w/the 6 times more expensive mbl offering.

i would also recommend a look/listen to the linn akurate kontrol.  again, i have not heard this preamp, but i used to own a linn kairn, and it was an exceptionally fine pre - if i hadn't gotten bitten by the tube bug, i would likely still have it.  and, it was an ergonomic pleasure.  i imagine the newer akurate would be at least as good?  and, the kairn also had a really fine fono-stage built in.  again, i would expect the akurate's fono stage to be at least as good...

doug s.

macrojack

• Restricted
« Reply #16 on: 14 Mar 2012, 04:49 pm »
Doug - I've done a little exploration of the BP-26. It turns out it is a bit of an a la carte arrangement. Phono board, remote and power supply all have to be purchased separately taking it into a range where I would have to find one used and cheap. I would have to put a $4K maximum on this purchase, I think.

BTW, my program isn't really set up to absorb depreciation so I prefer not to buy new unless circumstances are very friendly.... or I am tempted beyond reason.

doug s.

• makin' music
« Reply #17 on: 14 Mar 2012, 05:39 pm »
Doug - I've done a little exploration of the BP-26. It turns out it is a bit of an a la carte arrangement. Phono board, remote and power supply all have to be purchased separately taking it into a range where I would have to find one used and cheap. I would have to put a $4K maximum on this purchase, I think.

BTW, my program isn't really set up to absorb depreciation so I prefer not to buy new unless circumstances are very friendly.... or I am tempted beyond reason.
agreed w/everything above - it is a rare occasion i ever buy something new.  i'd suggest used for the ec 4.7 or 4.8, or any of the linn gear as well...  of course, at $400 shipped brand-new, my eva-2 was a no-brainer for me.  if i were to simply throw it in the garbage, i would lose less money than i'd lose on the depreciation on any of this other stuff!   :lol:

doug s.

MaxCast

« Reply #18 on: 14 Mar 2012, 05:53 pm »
just doin' a little cleaning before it gets too long.  :)

Please read macrojack's post carefully as he is quite specific in what he is looking for tho there seems to be some lee-way in one or two box recommendations.

doug s.

• makin' music
« Reply #19 on: 14 Mar 2012, 06:01 pm »
just doin' a little cleaning before it gets too long.  :)

Please read macrojack's post carefully as he is quite specific in what he is looking for tho there seems to be some lee-way in one or two box recommendations.
thank you, max!   :thumb:

doug s.