Just received my new FET Valve preamplifier yesterday.......

Wayner

Unfortunately, I also received my hayfever so I'm on Sudafed and haven's slept for a couple of days, and I am also crabby as hell. My only hope is that my ears don't plug up while I'm enjoying the new pre.

Fit and finish is excellent, as is its sonic virtues. I did play about 6 sides of various LPs yesterday afternoon, and I am really liking the all tube chain. So, I do have it plugged into the Ultravalve.

I need to listen more (and sleep), before I make any further comments about the new preamp, but If your looking for an upgrade, this certainly should be a consideration.

Here are some photos of the neat workmanship:

Wayner

AVnerdguy

Re: Just received my new FET Valve preamplifier yesterday.......
« Reply #1 on: 13 Mar 2012, 07:17 pm »
Beautiful. Enjoy. If my AvaStar wasn't so new I'd go for this in a heartbeat.  :thumb:

avahifi

« Reply #2 on: 13 Mar 2012, 07:19 pm »
Thanks Wayne,

This unit has the RIAA phono circuits and remote control options.  The remaining bare board space is for the phase inverter and tape buffer options.  The back panel is punched to also accept XLR fittings as required.

Frank Van Alstine

Wayner

« Reply #3 on: 13 Mar 2012, 07:40 pm »
Thanks Frank, and yes absolutely, I would not order this without both. I may also have the Phase Inverter installed at a later date.

I should mention that the function buttons have been simplified. There is room for 1 tape deck if you still use one, with the ability to monitor your recording (if you have a 3 head machine. That is the far left button (out for input, in for tape). Next is the stereo/mono switch. Above the motorized volume control is the low gain function button (for really efficient speakers, better control utilization), and a dual effect filter that puts a nice roll-off on the high and low end for noisy recordings or perhaps an LP that is filled with rumble.

The 6 input selector for line stage devices like CD players and FM tuners is the large knob at the far right, with input1 used for MM phono, if you have that option.

Balance control is center detented. The headphone jack and new power switch LED indicator finish off the front panel.

The back panel has ground wire terminal for TT grounds, 6 set of RCA inputs, one set of in/out for the tape deck and 2 pairs of line outs for the power amp(s).

Back right corner features an external fuse holder, chassis ground switch and IEC power cord socket and cord. Yes, these cords fit the socket perfectly.

Front of the 6.3mm faceplate is double anodized natural brushed aluminum, with black graphics (also anodized into the faceplate). Chamfer and edge of faceplate are beadblasted. The heavy 16 gauge steel chassis and cover are powdercoat crinkle, black painted.

It uses only 2 6CG7 tubes.

Wayner

TheChairGuy

« Reply #4 on: 13 Mar 2012, 07:48 pm »
A quantum leap forward in looks - good show, Frank (and Wayner)!

Weird to see IEC jacks back there...but, appreciative of it simply from a convenience aspect when moving gear around, packing up, etc.

I know it's mostly about the sound for you engineer types - but, your attention to selling a little more 'sizzle' here is noted by me, and I suspect many others, positively :thumb:

That's a long way of saying that a buy from AVA was not highly considered before not because I didn't think the engineering and sound quality was solid....but, it was too expensive and simultaneously too ugly (and inconvenient with the captive wiring) to consider parting my money on.

Now, AVA gear is back in the race for my finite funds in the future. 

Frank, I hope you appreciate hearing this as I figure you went thru a lot of time and soul searching before you decided to change the looks of your products.  But, I think you did a masterful job and will result in further strong sales for you  :)

trebejo

« Reply #5 on: 14 Mar 2012, 08:28 pm »
Oooh... aaah...  :drool:

Nice stuff there, I'll be waiting for a healthy Wayner report on the Aikido influence on the AVA sound...

NIGHTFALL1970

« Reply #6 on: 15 Mar 2012, 12:19 am »
Wayner,
Congrads on the new purchase! I can't wait to hear your thoughts on it. Thanks for the nice pix! I always wanted to see the insides.
What pre-amp are you replacing?

rcag_ils

« Reply #7 on: 15 Mar 2012, 12:19 am »
Nice.

Wayner

« Reply #8 on: 15 Mar 2012, 12:26 am »
First I must say that the new preamp reveals simply more stuff in the recording. I have heard in several LPs so far, bleed thru, on the beginnings of several songs on vinyl that I had not heard before.

In reverse order, I heard 10 Years After (A Space in Time), and before any other comments, my hat tips to all the Vietnam Vets out there....Thank you for serving. This LP is an anti-war album, but it does have three songs that are "historic" for the time period. They are "One of these Days Boys", "Here They Come" and "I'd Love to Change the World". It's from the 1971 era and it sticks a cord with me as I had both of my brothers go off.

The music was lost in the emotions. I do have a very minty copy and first pressing, and the new pre simply crushed me emotionally. I hear stuff that I simply never heard in these recordings ever before.

Bridge Over Troubled Waters (Simon and Garfunkel) "The only Living Boy in New York" was also a new experience for me. I never played it louder, and it hit home, as I did spend some time in Queens.

Roy Orbison's LP "Crying" was nothing unusual, except that I maybe realized that it was a Binaural recording.

The new Fleetfoxes LP simply reinforced my opinion that these guys are going to be know in history as a very great band.

Pink Floyd's Momentary Lapse of Reason was simply stellar.

Genesis's Trick of the Tail on MOFI, had me notice that I actually heard and felt the "Leslie" whirling speaker on the song "A Trick of the Tail". I'm sure I've never heard that before.

More later

Wayner 

pansixt

« Reply #9 on: 15 Mar 2012, 02:31 am »
Thanks for the review Wayner and the nod to our Brothers.
Just sent my amp to AVA for the rebuild and with my crippled ass and finances, the T-8 is all I can muster for now.
Heard the FET Valve Pre with the 400 and 600 in Denver.
You are a Lucky Man. (ELP)
James

ArthurDent

• Don't Panic / Mostly Harmless
« Reply #10 on: 15 Mar 2012, 03:30 am »
Congrats Wayne, a fine addition to your system. Nice work Frank & Co., as usual, and as TCG notes the cosmetic embellishments will undoubtedly only add to the fan base as they hear the sonic quality that has always been there.   :thumb:

May just be I'll have to check the piggy bank and consider an upgrade from my Ultra Pre. Happy listening Wayne, and give us updates on your thoughts as they develop. Good luck with the hayfever, and the bugs, which given the relatively mild winter you've had are not going to be nice this year. I've already seen my first mosquito here, and our winter has been cooler than normal for the most part.

Rocket

« Reply #11 on: 15 Mar 2012, 12:35 pm »
Hi,

Frank has really raised the bar with the aesthetics of his preamps and amplifiers.  I hope he sells a bundle of them.

Regards

Rod

Minn Mark

« Reply #12 on: 15 Mar 2012, 02:05 pm »
Congrats, Wayner. Its a beautiful unit. Looking forward to your listening impressions when paired up with your Ultravalve.

Saw the advert in the April TAS for these new AVA Fet valve products. Sexy !

M

Whitese

« Reply #13 on: 15 Mar 2012, 02:17 pm »
I think that's just the Sudafed working.. :green:

Genesis's Trick of the Tail on MOFI, had me notice that I actually heard and felt the "Leslie" whirling speaker on the song "A Trick of the Tail". I'm sure I've never heard that before.

More later

Wayner

Wayner

« Reply #14 on: 15 Mar 2012, 02:27 pm »
Not.

W

Devil Doc

• On the road to Perdition
« Reply #15 on: 15 Mar 2012, 02:40 pm »
Congrats, Wayner. I was a big Ten Years after as well. You needed to see them live, though. They were a much better band in person than in the studio.

Doc

RichG

« Reply #16 on: 15 Mar 2012, 05:02 pm »

It uses only 2 6CG7 tubes.

Thats a good choice.  I love the sound of vintage NOS 6CG7s in my Aikido.