Network audio players?

chgolatin2

Network audio players?
« on: 13 Mar 2012, 01:21 pm »
Looking a decent network audio player, to play pandora and alll sorts of cool music.  Any decently priced recommendations?  Tired of paying to Sirius XM stuff when you can get the same for free and of course, free is always better!

Thanks! :thumb:

TomS

Re: Network audio players?
« Reply #1 on: 13 Mar 2012, 01:29 pm »
I use a $100 Airport Express to get wireless to my DAC. With the Airfoil application you can stream anything playing on your PC or Mac (Spotify, Pandora, MOG, iTunes, etc.) via Airplay/Airfoil direct to the AEX. It works great in my setup.

http://www.rogueamoeba.com/airfoil/

jk@home

« Reply #2 on: 13 Mar 2012, 02:05 pm »
Squeezebox Touch on line for as low as the lower $200s, or score a Squeezebox 3 (Classic) for half that amount, if you can find one.

NekoAudio

• Industry Participant
    • Neko Audio LLC
« Reply #3 on: 13 Mar 2012, 08:39 pm »
Roku and Boxee are also great choices.

raysracing

« Reply #4 on: 14 Mar 2012, 01:10 am »
I use a $100 Airport Express to get wireless to my DAC. With the Airfoil application you can stream anything playing on your PC or Mac (Spotify, Pandora, MOG, iTunes, etc.) via Airplay/Airfoil direct to the AEX. It works great in my setup.

http://www.rogueamoeba.com/airfoil/

That is perfect. All I want is the ability to stream Spotify/iTunes to my DAC in  my basement while I sit on the couch and veg and read AC on my Macbook. Currently I have had to prop my MB on the stereo cabinet.

Thank you.

TomS

« Reply #5 on: 14 Mar 2012, 02:28 am »
That is perfect. All I want is the ability to stream Spotify/iTunes to my DAC in  my basement while I sit on the couch and veg and read AC on my Macbook. Currently I have had to prop my MB on the stereo cabinet.

Thank you.
You bet. As I said, it works flawlessly and it's reasonably priced. No need for a server anywhere at all but it also picks up your iTunes libraries if you have them.

DS-21

« Reply #6 on: 17 Mar 2012, 01:05 am »

Thank you.

Be aware of one issue with the APE, though. It has poor power supply design and/or thermal management. So they get super-hot, and thus don't last particularly long. Since 2005 or so I've had to replace 3 I think. For the functionality and the price, I don't mind too much. There's nothing else that does what it does as cheaply anyway. But if you're looking for "high end" durability, the APE won't give it to you.

Something had to give to fit a bit-perfect optical audio output, a good-but-not-great analog audio output, a USB print server, a wireless router, and circuitry to power all that in a MacBook power supply's case, I guess

raysracing

« Reply #7 on: 17 Mar 2012, 01:32 am »
You bet. As I said, it works flawlessly and it's reasonably priced. No need for a server anywhere at all but it also picks up your iTunes libraries if you have them.

yeah, Ive got 254G in my iTunes and friends are always turning me onto new bands to search on Spotify. Life is Good!

mcgsxr

« Reply #8 on: 17 Mar 2012, 12:24 pm »
My best friend loves his Boxee, but it cannot do playlists?

eclein

• Volunteer
  • ..we walk the plank with our eyes wide open!-Gotye
« Reply #9 on: 17 Mar 2012, 02:09 pm »
I really enjoy the Squeezebox experience......its easy...
 SB Touch to DAC to Amp to JBL's......BINGO!!!
Last night I was using my headphones and controlling the content from my ACER Iconia Tablet and it was great until like 3 am....LOL.

I use MOG, my own digital library and stream Sony Unlimited from my PS Vita to DAC/Pre etc. etc.....lots of options...

Noseyears

• Restricted
  • SS-Audio
    • Supreme Sound Audio
« Reply #10 on: 18 Mar 2012, 11:21 pm »
Does anyone know about the MED500X2? availability only on Europe, but it have nice features at a low cost.

http://www.mede8er.eu/products/new-med500x2.html

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #11 on: 18 Mar 2012, 11:35 pm »
Does anyone know about the MED500X2? availability only on Europe, but it have nice features at a low cost.

http://www.mede8er.eu/products/new-med500x2.html

Nice find ($300 USD, striped). 

Noseyears

• Restricted
  • SS-Audio
    • Supreme Sound Audio
« Reply #12 on: 19 Mar 2012, 11:56 pm »
Yes, it is definitely a bargain. Here's a link to a review.