Wire question. . .

rockdrummer

Wire question. . .
« on: 8 Mar 2012, 11:55 pm »
I know this isn't a GR related question.  But I know someone here knows a quick answer, and I've had no luck looking online.

My family's new dog ate through a computer speaker wire.  The line out from the PC to the first small speaker.  Inside it, there are two jacketed wires.  Yellow and white.  What I assume is braided around those is more wire.  Then the outer jacket.  Can I just patch the yellow and white together and call 'er good?  Or do I need the outer wires too?

See how much of an electronics noob I am?

Side note . . . all mdf parts cut for my AV 1 mini monitors :)

Ben

corndog71

• Some people call me Rob.
Re: Wire question. . .
« Reply #1 on: 9 Mar 2012, 12:10 am »
Sounds simple but pics would be a big help.

srb

« Reply #2 on: 9 Mar 2012, 12:55 am »
(A) PC soundcards generally either have a single stereo analog Line Out (L + R) or if it has 5.1 analog it could have three stereo Line Out jacks - Front (L + R), Rear (L + R) and Center/Sub (or Center/LFE).

In either case they are all stereo jacks supplying a signal for two channels.   If you only have two conductors (the yellow and white) and an outer braided shield, then the outer shield is likely the common ground between the channels and you may need it also patched back together to provide the return path for the two channels.

(B) If on the rare chance you have a soundcard with 6 separate line out jacks for each of the 6 channels (5.1), then it's possible that the braided shield would not be absolutely needed to have a signal and is used only as a grounded shield to prevent hum, but still is a good idea to have.

But my guess is that your soundcard has one of the (A) configurations.

Steve

rockdrummer

« Reply #3 on: 9 Mar 2012, 03:30 pm »
Thanks.  After I put the kids to bed last night, I just started cutting and tearing.  I always do this.  I think something is more difficult than it really is.  It was easy to just reconnect everything.  It is only makeshift right now, and isn't pretty, but everything sounds right. 

Corndog, you are right.  Pictures are pretty much a must.  I will learn how to put together a gallery this weekend.

Ben