How about some omnidirectional speker with raal

ricardojoa

How about some omnidirectional speker with raal
« on: 8 Mar 2012, 09:02 pm »
Hi Jim,
is an omnidirectional speaker a good alternative for those who want the open sound of an OB but without the necessary room?
What is your word about omnidirectional speakers?

Thank you.

kip_

Re: How about some omnidirectional speker with raal
« Reply #1 on: 9 Mar 2012, 12:55 pm »
I'm really not sure the raal or any ribbon would be suitable for an omnidirectional speaker just because they tend to have limited vertical dispersion.  I think the raal with the foam pads installed is better than most here. It would probably depend on how you orient the tweeter - the omni designs from GR Research fire it towards the ceiling. If you want to get REALLY expensive then maybe you could use the dipole version of the raal  - they only cost $750 each  :duh:

http://www.madisoundspeakerstore.com/ribbon-tweeters/raal-dipole-140-15d-ribbon-driver/

Saturn94

« Reply #2 on: 9 Mar 2012, 03:52 pm »
I came across a speaker online that used a bunch of RAAL tweeters arranged in a circle to achieve an omnidirectional radiation pattern.

http://www.raal-requisite.com/

I can't imagine what it cost. :o

audiotom

• Ground control to Major Tom
    • for everything music
« Reply #3 on: 9 Mar 2012, 04:03 pm »
you would miss a lot in pinpoint stereo imaging
that a single point source tweeter would give you

this would smear the image

some manufacturers use drivers located close together to minimize this effect

srb

Re: How about some omnidirectional SPEAKER with raal
« Reply #4 on: 9 Mar 2012, 04:29 pm »
I wish I could remember the name, but I came across a speaker online that used a bunch of RAAL tweeters arranged in a circle to achieve an omnidirectional radiation pattern.

RAAL-Requisite - a partnership between RAAL Advanced Loudspeakers and Requisite Audio Engineering.

The Eternity:
- 5 X 15" woofers in cast bronze sphere
- 18 X 3" full-range drivers as midrange in cylindrical omni array
- 15 RAAL tweeters in cylindrical omni array
- $88,000

The Instinct:
- 5 X 8" woofers in cast bronze sphere
- 8 X 3" full-range drivers as midrange in cylindrical omni array
- 4 X RAAL 70-10D tweeters in cylindrical omni array

6 Moons - Road Tour Serbia

Don't know if that projected price from several years ago is valid, but this is certainly one expensive loudspeaker whose parts and manufacturing would seem to easily justify its cost.

Steve

ricardojoa

« Reply #5 on: 9 Mar 2012, 06:46 pm »
I have no clue how that is, just shooting at Jim, he knows much then i do. it may not be feasible at all. I really want something with big soundstage, something that plays big but i just dont have the room and im afraid i might just have to stick box type speaker. For reference, my listen room, wall to wall is only 11.5"!!

coke

« Reply #6 on: 9 Mar 2012, 07:08 pm »
I have no clue how that is, just shooting at Jim, he knows much then i do. it may not be feasible at all. I really want something with big soundstage, something that plays big but i just dont have the room and im afraid i might just have to stick box type speaker. For reference, my listen room, wall to wall is only 11.5"!!

My room is around 11x14, but I can't use part of it because of a door and other issues.  I'm left with around 11x11 and my HT2-TLs sound great. 

ricardojoa

« Reply #7 on: 9 Mar 2012, 07:59 pm »
My room is around 11x14, but I can't use part of it because of a door and other issues.  I'm left with around 11x11 and my HT2-TLs sound great.

im sure your htl2 sound better then my ST dome. There is something about soundstage that i crave for.

Nuance

« Reply #8 on: 9 Mar 2012, 08:39 pm »
Omnidirectional might be cool, but how would one perform in a small room?  Jim has the open-back SoundScape line, but in a small room like that I fear that design wouldn't be allowed to play at its full potential.  In other words, the room would limit its performance capabilities.  With that said, at least you'd have the speakers already if you ever moved them into a larger room. :)

Saturn94

Re: How about some omnidirectional SPEAKER with raal
« Reply #9 on: 9 Mar 2012, 09:18 pm »

RAAL-Requisite - a partnership between RAAL Advanced Loudspeakers and Requisite Audio Engineering.

The Eternity:
- 5 X 15" woofers in cast bronze sphere
- 18 X 3" full-range drivers as midrange in cylindrical omni array
- 15 RAAL tweeters in cylindrical omni array
- $88,000

The Instinct:
- 5 X 8" woofers in cast bronze sphere
- 8 X 3" full-range drivers as midrange in cylindrical omni array
- 4 X RAAL 70-10D tweeters in cylindrical omni array

6 Moons - Road Tour Serbia

Don't know if that projected price from several years ago is valid, but this is certainly one expensive loudspeaker whose parts and manufacturing would seem to easily justify its cost.

Steve

Thanks for the link.  I enjoyed reading about the making of RAAL tweeters (with great pictures).  It makes me appreciate the RAAL tweeters in my HT2-TLs even more.

The idea of a RAAL ribbon based headphone was interesting as well.

DMurphy

• Industry Participant
    • SalkSound
« Reply #10 on: 10 Mar 2012, 02:58 am »
I came across a speaker online that used a bunch of RAAL tweeters arranged in a circle to achieve an omnidirectional radiation pattern.

http://www.raal-requisite.com/

I heard a prototype of this as RMAF a few years back.  They were, uh, bright--but interesting.  Jim can contradict me if he wishes, but I kind of doubt there will be any omni designs anytime soon using the RAAL.  I love loudspeakers, but for what these would cost, I think I would prefer a BMW 328i with a great 6-speed manual and a complete bumper-to-bumper service contract. 

ricardojoa

« Reply #11 on: 10 Mar 2012, 04:38 am »
Omnidirectional might be cool, but how would one perform in a small room?  Jim has the open-back SoundScape line, but in a small room like that I fear that design wouldn't be allowed to play at its full potential.  In other words, the room would limit its performance capabilities.  With that said, at least you'd have the speakers already if you ever moved them into a larger room. :)

Well well, small room sucks.  It doesnt allow for optimal speaker placement. I was thinking something similar to ohms or mirage. Speaker design is about trade offs so i was thinking maybe trading pinpoint imaging for soundstage? As for the omnidirectional one from raal, i would rather take Dennis advice about the bimmer.... 

opnly bafld

• 83 Klipsch LSIs
Re: How about some omnidirectional speaker with raal
« Reply #12 on: 10 Mar 2012, 04:46 am »
No Raal, but both of these radial designs do very well in a small room.

Decware ERR

Turning Point Audio HR-1

Lin

ricardojoa

Re: How about some omnidirectional speaker with raal
« Reply #13 on: 10 Mar 2012, 11:30 pm »
No Raal, but both of these radial designs do very well in a small room.

Decware ERR

Turning Point Audio HR-1

Lin

Thanks for the suggestions.
I hate to say this but Decware looks and sounds too good to be true.

Mountain-ear

« Reply #14 on: 15 Mar 2012, 12:41 am »
There's another option to consider.  Jim has built speakers using the Heil Air Motion Transformers -- a true dipole design.  Not the omni-directional presentation that you were looking for but an amazingly open sound.  Like you, I like that idea of a big soundstage, and the Heil/Visaton combination has worked very well for me.  You can see the speakers here:

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=92821.0

If you're in the Pittsburgh area and want to hear them some time, let me know.

Steve

Jeffr1966

« Reply #15 on: 15 Mar 2012, 12:56 am »
why not a Raal or other ribbon still firing from the front of the baffle with an upward facing mid-woofer ala Samadhi Ichiban and AV123 Omni (though neither used a ribbon tweeter).  should sound awesome with an optimally designed cabinet and crossover

J Fallows

• melomane
« Reply #16 on: 15 Mar 2012, 02:48 am »
Yes, forgot about those Heil speakers.
Real big sounding. Someone interested in an omni may indeed find these pretty nice.

DMurphy

• Industry Participant
    • SalkSound
« Reply #17 on: 15 Mar 2012, 03:20 am »
why not a Raal or other ribbon still firing from the front of the baffle with an upward facing mid-woofer ala Samadhi Ichiban and AV123 Omni (though neither used a ribbon tweeter).  should sound awesome with an optimally designed cabinet and crossover

I've had a couple of speakers with that configuration in da house, and I designed one.  I didn't like any of them.  It's very difficult to get the tweeter to blend with the response of the upward-firing woofer. 

J Fallows

• melomane
« Reply #18 on: 15 Mar 2012, 03:35 am »
Maybe tweeter upward?

ricardojoa

« Reply #19 on: 16 Mar 2012, 11:17 pm »
There's another option to consider.  Jim has built speakers using the Heil Air Motion Transformers -- a true dipole design.  Not the omni-directional presentation that you were looking for but an amazingly open sound.  Like you, I like that idea of a big soundstage, and the Heil/Visaton combination has worked very well for me.  You can see the speakers here:

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=92821.0

If you're in the Pittsburgh area and want to hear them some time, let me know.

Steve
Thanks,
im aware of those, but didnt know Jim is offering it at such a reasonble price.