Who has ordered the iPad 3?

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
Re: Who has ordered the iPad 3?
« Reply #40 on: 14 Mar 2012, 03:54 pm »
Just curious...what apps needed the improved speed?

I can't think of anything I do on my original iPad where I said "I wish that this went faster".

George
not the apps but the general load time in safari on websites. 

Audioclyde

« Reply #41 on: 14 Mar 2012, 04:02 pm »
I did a little digging re the official TSA position on removal of Ipad type devices from bags (there is also discussion re removal from a 'cover', but it appears the consensus is that this latter removal is not often required).  As I mentioned I've flown extensively the past couple of years, through LAX, Laguardia, O'Hare, Hartshorne, etc. and never been asked to even remove mine from whatever carryon I had it in.  Per the TSA blogs others have had different experiences.  It would appear the 'official' position is its not required to be removed, but alas it also appears to be at the whim of the screener you get that day  :o!

Randy

Don_S

« Reply #42 on: 14 Mar 2012, 04:14 pm »
Randy and George,

Thanks for the information.  Now I know exactly, approximately what I must do.  :lol:  All part of the "fun" of travel--the unknown.

While going through security, I once had a female traveler grump at me and ask if I really needed to use so many bins. Well, I did. One each for shoes/belt, under-seat bag, laptop, laptop bag. Even if I have to remove the iPad from its bag it will be much easier to manage while juggling my loose clothing and under-seat bag.

Crimson

« Reply #43 on: 14 Mar 2012, 06:47 pm »
This has not been my experience (especially on international flights).  Most of the time I have to take out my iPad and pass it through separately just like I would with my laptop.

George

+1.

Both domestic and international.

tabrink

• lake life is good
« Reply #44 on: 14 Mar 2012, 07:58 pm »
Interesting thread. I took exactly 100 flights last year and never took my iPad out of my bag nor was I asked to. All domestic.
 :)

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #45 on: 14 Mar 2012, 08:01 pm »
Interesting thread. I took exactly 100 flights last year and never took my iPad out of my bag nor was I asked to. All domestic.
 :)

I fly almost exclusively out of Logan (Boston).

To be honest, I am probably on autopilot in terms of taking the iPad and laptop out of my bag at this point.

Thankfully my flight count is well under yours these days.   :thumb:

George

TomS

« Reply #46 on: 14 Mar 2012, 08:02 pm »
Zybar just gets profiled because of the Yankee's hat  :green:

JohnR

« Reply #47 on: 14 Mar 2012, 11:01 pm »
Web surfing
As a remote for my stereo
Games
Reading books, magazines, newspapers
Watching movies

While I do use my iPad (first gen) a good amount at home, it is a godsend when I travel.  Between its small (and light) form factor and roughly 10 hour battery use, it allows me to have access to everything I want/need without carrying a backpack full of "stuff".

But I can do all of those with my laptop, and a whole lot more besides! Well, I don't watch movies on it but I saw someone doing it on the plane the other day. And with the laptop you get a 16:9 screen.

Size: 240×186×9.4 mm vs 300x192x17 mm
Weight: 650g vs 1040g

Smaller and lighter, but I'm not convinced it makes any practical difference. The laptop definitely loses out in the battery life stakes.

zybar

• Volunteer
« Reply #48 on: 14 Mar 2012, 11:20 pm »
But I can do all of those with my laptop, and a whole lot more besides! Well, I don't watch movies on it but I saw someone doing it on the plane the other day. And with the laptop you get a 16:9 screen.

Size: 240×186×9.4 mm vs 300x192x17 mm
Weight: 650g vs 1040g

Smaller and lighter, but I'm not convinced it makes any practical difference. The laptop definitely loses out in the battery life stakes.

John,

Of course you can.   :wink: 

The iPad is not a direct replacement for a laptop, but rather provides an alternative way to perform many of the same tasks. 

Not the best analogy, but think of one as a cd player and the other as a music server.  Both provide music, but they do it differently.

When traveling I use my iPad unless I have to do something that can only be done on my laptop.

When home, I find myself using the iPad more than the laptop due to the smaller form factor and easier workflow and better usability.

George

Crimson

« Reply #49 on: 15 Mar 2012, 01:45 am »
There's one thing you can do with an iPad that no laptop can match: try consuming content on your laptop while lying down, either on your back or sideways.

:green:

lowtech

« Reply #50 on: 15 Mar 2012, 01:58 am »
There's one thing you can do with an iPad that no laptop can match: try consuming content on your laptop while lying down, either on your back or sideways.

:green:

You are correct... if you mean no Apple laptop can match it.

jqp

• Volunteer
  • Each CD lovingly placed in the nOrh CD-1
« Reply #51 on: 15 Mar 2012, 02:21 am »
John,

Of course you can.   :wink: 

The iPad is not a direct replacement for a laptop, but rather provides an alternative way to perform many of the same tasks. 

Not the best analogy, but think of one as a cd player and the other as a music server.  Both provide music, but they do it differently.

When traveling I use my iPad unless I have to do something that can only be done on my laptop.

When home, I find myself using the iPad more than the laptop due to the smaller form factor and easier workflow and better usability.

George

If you produce with a computing device, which John does all the time (coding, content, design, etc.) you will want a laptop and you can consume on it as well. If there are enough hours in a day, you may have use for a consuming device such as an iPad. But folks who produce usually will just use the tool they efficiently produce with, IMO, for all these tasks.

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
« Reply #52 on: 15 Mar 2012, 04:40 am »
Good read.... here...

So....those that have ordered...did you order a 16GB or 32GB or 64GB ?

Don_S

« Reply #53 on: 15 Mar 2012, 04:56 am »

16GB WiFi (Black)

Good read.... here...

So....those that have ordered...did you order a 16GB or 32GB or 64GB ?

soundbitten1

« Reply #54 on: 15 Mar 2012, 05:00 am »

jMelvin

« Reply #55 on: 15 Mar 2012, 10:45 am »
I'm replacing my 1st gen with a 32GB WIFI white one.

I've traveled a bit in the past couple of years and I've never had to remove my iPad from my carry-on (including international flights).

TomS

« Reply #56 on: 15 Mar 2012, 12:28 pm »

kmmd

• 5 mos.= My VAC is back - now silver w/phono
    • Systems
« Reply #57 on: 15 Mar 2012, 01:48 pm »
Black 4G 64GB. 1st iPad.

zybar

• Volunteer
« Reply #58 on: 15 Mar 2012, 02:48 pm »
If you produce with a computing device, which John does all the time (coding, content, design, etc.) you will want a laptop and you can consume on it as well. If there are enough hours in a day, you may have use for a consuming device such as an iPad. But folks who produce usually will just use the tool they efficiently produce with, IMO, for all these tasks.

Well said.

I use my laptop at home when I need to create power point decks, update spreadsheets, etc...  But even though I have that device open, I am finding myself more than willing to put it down and consume on the iPad.

George

Don_S

« Reply #59 on: 15 Mar 2012, 03:10 pm »
I see my laptop falling into disuse when I get my iPad. The laptop battery is shot and since I have a permanent home for the laptop, I leave it plugged in. But when I need portability it sucks.

On the other hand I don't ever see myself abandoning my desktop.  It gives me comfortable seating, paper/pen and documents at hand, full-size keyboard, wireless mouse, and gorgeous 22" HP monitor. Then there is my 2.1 desktop audio system to frost the cake.

But I can't take my desktop as carry on luggage.  :lol: