Who has ordered the iPad 3?

jparkhur

Re: Who has ordered the iPad 3?
« Reply #20 on: 13 Mar 2012, 02:16 pm »
I ordered two of them last week.  Use most of the time for fun videos with kids and basic word processing with a BT keyboard.  Very happy so far.

nathanm

« Reply #21 on: 13 Mar 2012, 02:41 pm »
I don't know how much use I'd get out of one, but the 264ppi display is enticing.  Now give me a 30" one with a matte finish and now we're talking. :thumb: One of these years the end consumer should be able to watch movies at the native resolution that the RED cameras (which everything's gonna be shot on eventually), are capable of producing.

So does this mean that the GUI elements in the iPad OS are now vector-based rather than raster?  Or do the buttons just get smaller like usual?  I don't know anything about iPads… :scratch:

Don_S

« Reply #22 on: 13 Mar 2012, 03:57 pm »
Mine is scheduled to ship on April 3rd.  Do I remember correctly that Apple frequently shipped earlier than promised on previous iPad releases?  I seem to remember some AC members being pleasantly surprised.

soundbitten1

« Reply #23 on: 13 Mar 2012, 04:09 pm »
Ordered March 10th , on schedule to arrive this Fri. afternoon. Coming from Shenzhen, China. This is my first Apple product.

kmmd

• YG? Y NOT? Carmel 2’s and Hailey 3’s
    • Systems
« Reply #24 on: 13 Mar 2012, 04:25 pm »
If I recall correctly, some received their iPhone 4 a day early.  Maybe some of us will receive the new iPad a day early also.  My iPad has been pick up by Fedex and held in Ontario, CA for overnight delivery by 3pm Friday. :D

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #25 on: 13 Mar 2012, 05:03 pm »
If I recall correctly, some received their iPhone 4 a day early.  Maybe some of us will receive the new iPad a day early also.  My iPad has been pick up by Fedex and held in Ontario, CA for overnight delivery by 3pm Friday. :D
Mine will be here early!   :green:

JohnR

« Reply #26 on: 14 Mar 2012, 11:20 am »
I haven't ordered one... still can't figure out what I'd actually use it for.

TomS

« Reply #27 on: 14 Mar 2012, 12:22 pm »
Mine will be here early!   :green:
Fedex has been sitting on mine in Nashville all week with status of "Future Delivery Requested", which is apparently Friday. I guess they're just trying to make sure no one his it before it's time.

saisunil

« Reply #28 on: 14 Mar 2012, 12:45 pm »
Been waiting for a ipad for a while - this one does it for me ... have tried a couple of other tablets - had to return them due to lack of usability / responsiveness ...

Let's see if I can use it for browsing, digital audio remote etc.

I am planning to get rid of my iPhone and replace it with a regular phone (so the battery will last more than a day  :lol:) and an iPad

JohnR

« Reply #29 on: 14 Mar 2012, 12:59 pm »
I am planning to get rid of my iPhone and replace it with a regular phone (so the battery will last more than a day  :lol:) and an iPad

That's a good point. I did try a "feature phone" a while back but once you get used to a "smart" phone it's hard to go back.

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #30 on: 14 Mar 2012, 02:17 pm »
I haven't ordered one... still can't figure out what I'd actually use it for.

Web surfing
As a remote for my stereo
Games
Reading books, magazines, newspapers
Watching movies

While I do use my iPad (first gen) a good amount at home, it is a godsend when I travel.  Between its small (and light) form factor and roughly 10 hour battery use, it allows me to have access to everything I want/need without carrying a backpack full of "stuff".

Well worth the investment from my perspective.

What isn't as clear to me is why I should "upgrade" now (which I am not doing).  While the new screen resolution is definitely intriguing, it will take some time before apps are built that will take advantage of the new capabilities.  Heck, some of the apps I use right now still haven't been fully optimized for the iPad (they were initially iPod or iPhone apps)!

George

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #31 on: 14 Mar 2012, 02:21 pm »
What isn't as clear to me is why I should "upgrade" now (which I am not doing).
I have an iPad 1 and the speed difference between the 1 and 2 is crazy.  That alone is worth it to me...

Don_S

« Reply #32 on: 14 Mar 2012, 03:16 pm »
George, Same here for many of the uses.  This is my first iPad and I plan to use it for:

Remote for my music server.

Internet and email use when I want to do it from my patio or curled up on the couch. Or quickly without waiting for my desktop or laptop to boot up.

Travel--A 15.9" laptop in a good bag is quite a nuisance to carry through an airport with other baggage.  It isn't light either.  I already purchased a carry bag for my iPad and it is a giggle  :lol: compared to my laptop bag. My iPad will quickly earn mileage when I fly to OH in May.

I don't have a "feature" phone or a "smart" phone although sometimes my basic phone seems smarter than me. I understand the portability features of them is attractive to many but I prefer a larger format to work with. The iPad will give me access to my emails and investment portfolio when I travel. Around town I don't need to stay connected 24/7 with a phone-sized device.

I have a question about iPads and airports.  With a laptop a traveler is required to remove the laptop from its bag unless they are using a special bag. Then the bag and laptop must be placed side by side or in different bins.  They cannot be stacked.  What is the requirement for an iPad in a bag?

Web surfing
As a remote for my stereo
Games
Reading books, magazines, newspapers
Watching movies

While I do use my iPad (first gen) a good amount at home, it is a godsend when I travel.  Between its small (and light) form factor and roughly 10 hour battery use, it allows me to have access to everything I want/need without carrying a backpack full of "stuff".

Well worth the investment from my perspective.

What isn't as clear to me is why I should "upgrade" now (which I am not doing).  While the new screen resolution is definitely intriguing, it will take some time before apps are built that will take advantage of the new capabilities.  Heck, some of the apps I use right now still haven't been fully optimized for the iPad (they were initially iPod or iPhone apps)!

George

Audioclyde

« Reply #33 on: 14 Mar 2012, 03:36 pm »
Don, Ipads do not have to be removed from luggage when going through security screening (at least in my experience, and I've been traveling with one for 2-3 years now).

Best,

Randy

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #34 on: 14 Mar 2012, 03:38 pm »
Don, Ipads do not have to be removed from luggage when going through security screening (at least in my experience, and I've been traveling with one for 2-3 years now).

Best,

Randy
You've been lucky then...

Don_S

« Reply #35 on: 14 Mar 2012, 03:41 pm »
Randy,  Thank you.  I am talking about using a separate shoulder bag for the iPad, not tucking it inside my larger luggage. How do you carry your iPad?

Best,

Randy

TomS

« Reply #36 on: 14 Mar 2012, 03:46 pm »

zybar

• Volunteer
« Reply #37 on: 14 Mar 2012, 03:53 pm »
I have an iPad 1 and the speed difference between the 1 and 2 is crazy.  That alone is worth it to me...

Just curious...what apps needed the improved speed?

I can't think of anything I do on my original iPad where I said "I wish that this went faster".

George

Audioclyde

« Reply #38 on: 14 Mar 2012, 03:53 pm »
Don,

I have carried it through in either a duffel type bag or in a briefcase/shoulder bag, no problems (without being asked to remove it).

Randy

zybar

• Volunteer
« Reply #39 on: 14 Mar 2012, 03:54 pm »

Best,

Randy

This has not been my experience (especially on international flights).  Most of the time I have to take out my iPad and pass it through separately just like I would with my laptop.

George