Amps for MG 3.7

mgard

Re: Amps for MG 3.7
« Reply #20 on: 21 Mar 2012, 05:45 pm »
I am using two McIntosh MC601 mono blocks with my 1.7s. Seems to do a nice job with plenty of power in reserve. In another week or two and I'll be able to try them with the 3.7's.

mfsoa

« Reply #21 on: 21 Mar 2012, 06:35 pm »
First Planar post here-

I have a major itch to get 3.7s to replace Von Schweikert VR4JRs.

I'd be using a Digital Amp Co. Cherry Plus w/ upgraded 1800 watt transformer, something like 700 watts/ch @ 4 ohms, if the pairing works out. I know Tommy (from DigAmpCo) would love for me to buy the Ultra Monos that I've borrowed for 6 weeks - I'd think that a pair of 1800 watt transformers would be able to push the 3.7s quite nicely!

Room's a bit small (13 x 18, speakers on long wall, but can still get them 3-4 feet from front wall) but I'll have lots of diffusion and absorption all over.

-Mike

josh358

« Reply #22 on: 21 Mar 2012, 11:29 pm »
First Planar post here-

I'd be using a Digital Amp Co. Cherry Plus w/ upgraded 1800 watt transformer, something like 700 watts/ch @ 4 ohms, if the pairing works out. I know Tommy (from DigAmpCo) would love for me to buy the Ultra Monos that I've borrowed for 6 weeks - I'd think that a pair of 1800 watt transformers would be able to push the 3.7s quite nicely!

Room's a bit small (13 x 18, speakers on long wall, but can still get them 3-4 feet from front wall) but I'll have lots of diffusion and absorption all over.

-Mike

That amp should drive them nicely. They can probably take a bit more power, but you'd have to be pretty fanatical about levels!

BTW, dipoles generally want less treatment than boxes. They don't require any floor or ceiling absorption, maybe a rug in front at most. Lateral diffusers (e.g., QRD's) at the first reflection point on the front wall are the most popular treatment, it will help compensate for their relatively small distance to the front wall. Side wall absorption, maybe, they radiate less to the sides than boxes and some complain that if you put absorption on the sidewall first reflection points the image doesn't extend beyond the speakers (though that's very room dependent, usually you'll also get spread from the second reflections to the left and the right, the ones that bounce obliquely across the corners). Rear wall absorption only if you have to sit close to it, maybe diffusion but only if the wall is far enough away for a QRD to work, e.g., 8' or so.

Then season to taste to bring the highs into line, Magnepan's recommendation is that if you need more than a 1 ohm attenuating resistor on the tweeters you should add some high frequency absorption to the room.

Bass traps are good, but note that planars excite fewer room modes so placement could be different. They don't directly excite the lateral axial mode or the vertical axial or I think oblique or tangential modes. They do excite the depth axial, tangential, and oblique modes, and the lateral tangential and oblique modes, perhaps to a lesser extent. This assumes the speakers are pretty much parallel to the front wall, as you toe them in you'll dump more energy towards the sides and less front-back. Also, depending on distance, you can get some suckouts in the e.g. 100-200 Hz range from the front wall reflection. If that happens, trapping would be useful here.

Finally, be prepared to spend a lot of time on positioning! Line source dipoles are less sensitive to room acoustics than boxes, but more sensitive to placement.

Æ

« Reply #23 on: 21 Mar 2012, 11:43 pm »
w/ upgraded 1800 watt transformer

A very minor technicality, but transformers are rated in "VA", not Watts.
If you are interested why. . .

"VA, or volt-amperes, is a measure of the output of the transformer. VA is also called apparent power. Watts on the other hand, is also called true power. If the transformer feeds a resistive load, then watts are equal to VA, because the voltage and current are in phase. If the transformer feeds a reactive load, such as a motor, then the voltage and current are no longer in phase, and the true power (watts) is less than apparent power.

Since the true power, or watts delivered can change depending on the load, it is not very useful as a transformer rating. The VA remains constant regardless of the load characteristics, and so is a much better indicator of transformer performance."

SteveFord

• Facilitator
  • The poodle bites, the poodle chews it.
« Reply #24 on: 21 Mar 2012, 11:57 pm »
Mfsoa,
That room should be fine.
You should scratch that itch, I think you'll be glad you did.

Rclark

« Reply #25 on: 22 Mar 2012, 08:10 am »
AE, thank you for that.

And Mike, it could be the avatar, but I think those will be the only speakers you want. I haven't heard the 3.7's, but all Maggies have the reputation for being superb jazz speakers, maybe the best at it.

rw@cn

« Reply #26 on: 22 Mar 2012, 12:34 pm »
Has anyone heard these?

1. Sanders Magtech
2. Channel Island DK 500 mkii

or at around $10k

3. Pass 350
4. Coda 33
5. Digital Audio Company Ultra Mono ($8k)

Just asking. I would like to see Tone Audio, Ultra Sound or any mag do a shoot out of these.

Of course these all are a bit costly for many here, but they all seem to be great candidates to push 3.7's and may well last in a system for 10 or more years.

rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio Consulting -
« Reply #27 on: 22 Mar 2012, 03:12 pm »
First Planar post here-

-Mike

Mike Maggies love a rectangular room. If you would like to hear Maggies in your home I have a personal pair of 3As with 3.6 ribbons hanging out. I know its a trip but you can borrow them anytime to check out. Not for sale .

charles

rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio Consulting -
« Reply #28 on: 22 Mar 2012, 03:26 pm »
  There are many classic combos for Maggies. From Mc Intosh to Audio Research. Bryston, CJ, Pass, Arion, Cherry and so on.
   I would think about the character of sound you desire and then search out the amp that offers such.
  I would suggest a SS amp for Maggies. Not saying tubed amps are inferior just that one needs mucho power to make Maggies sing their best tune. We used an Audio Research DR 250 Servo mk 2 with 240W of Triode bliss per channel. A killer combo but but 32 tubes for the amp alone, oh my.
   To date we have yet to hear a bad sounding amp with Maggies. Different ? Absolutely. Better? That is up to you. Have fun.

charles

jhm731

« Reply #29 on: 22 Mar 2012, 06:25 pm »
Has anyone heard these?

1. Sanders Magtech
2. Channel Island DK 500 mkii

or at around $10k

3. Pass 350
4. Coda 33
5. Digital Audio Company Ultra Mono ($8k)

Just asking. I would like to see Tone Audio, Ultra Sound or any mag do a shoot out of these.

Of course these all are a bit costly for many here, but they all seem to be great candidates to push 3.7's and may well last in a system for 10 or more years.

I own a Magtech and have heard the Pass and the stereo DAC amp.

The Magtech is much more neutral sounding. Its 900 watts/ch @ 4 ohms will make your 3.7s sing.