What's your favorite Beatles album?

Rclark

Re: What's your favorite Beatles album?
« Reply #80 on: 16 Mar 2012, 10:38 pm »
Really? Might've guessed by your avatar.
I have never owned anything by AC/DC. But my wife can sing along with them.

I guess that's not entirely true I do have a sizeable collection of mellower tunes, it's just that there are other bands of the era I prefer over the Beatles.

Hell I even prefer solo stuff over the Beatles themselves. John Lennon, Harrison, Wings, etc.

Beatles, obviously great, just low on my radar.

cheap-Jack

« Reply #81 on: 16 Mar 2012, 11:21 pm »
Hi.
+1. 

I'm with you on this.  (My classical collection is SACD/DVD-A    :wink:)

I also got some good DVD-audio recordings, e.g. Mozart Requiem, Beethoven
Choral Symphony, & some opera musics for many years.

Yet, I still love my vinyl recordings much much more. More friendly, more engaging & more emotional.

c-J

Æ

« Reply #82 on: 17 Mar 2012, 12:11 am »
I guess that's not entirely true I do have a sizeable collection of mellower tunes, it's just that there are other bands of the era I prefer over the Beatles.

Yes, but this thread is about liking the Beatles, not about how much you could care less or how you actually don't like them, etc. In other words, this isn't the thread for crapping on the Beatles, so why don't you give the rest of us Beatles fans a break!

Freo-1

« Reply #83 on: 17 Mar 2012, 12:20 am »
Hi.
I also got some good DVD-audio recordings, e.g. Mozart Requiem, Beethoven
Choral Symphony, & some opera musics for many years.

Yet, I still love my vinyl recordings much much more. More friendly, more engaging & more emotional.

c-J

Higher noise floor, lower SNR, compression, more distortion(s), wow, flutter, record noise and wear, and no multi channel. 

Ouside of that, it's great.  :wink:

Anyway, back to the Beatles!   :thumb:

Diamond Dog

• Chameleon, Comedian, Corinthian and Caricature
« Reply #84 on: 17 Mar 2012, 05:17 am »
Hell I even prefer solo stuff over the Beatles themselves. John Lennon, Harrison, Wings, etc.

I have now seen the elephant. I have seen and heard many many things said about the Beatles but I can honestly say that I have never heard anyone say that before.
Not a criticism, R., just an observation.
 It's actually refreshing to hear someone come at it from that angle as the commonly-expressed view is that the sum was vastly greater than the parts. The Beatles are a sacred rock 'n' roll icon so an opinion like that will get you tied to a stake with kindling piled around your feet PDQ. However, I'm sure you will give off a most exquisite crackle... :green:

Shine on.

D.D.

Rclark

« Reply #85 on: 17 Mar 2012, 05:29 am »
 :lol:  :thumb:

OzarkTom

« Reply #86 on: 17 Mar 2012, 05:05 pm »
I'm pretty sure it's "Cranberry Hall," not cranberry sauce!

There is an interview clip with John here where he tells the interviewer he said "cranberry sauce twice", not once.

http://www.beatlesagain.com/bmyths.html

Æ

« Reply #87 on: 17 Mar 2012, 06:14 pm »
There is an interview clip with John here where he tells the interviewer he said "cranberry sauce twice", not once.

http://www.beatlesagain.com/bmyths.html

Well, you are correct! I just listened to the song and cranked it up really loud towards the end.
Hopefully no little children laugh at me behind my back - (Penny Lane).

bummrush

« Reply #88 on: 17 Mar 2012, 09:06 pm »
Revolver

jonbee

« Reply #89 on: 20 Mar 2012, 04:02 pm »
Lots of great choices. I love Rubber Soul and Revolver, but my #1 is Sgt. Peppers. It is great music, wonderful songs, but more than that I think it is one of the 20th centuries' great works of art, in any medium, based on its' influence on the larger world.
I was going into college when it was released, and it created a storm the likes of which I've never seen. Everyone in the arts world was talking about it. Even my Mother's adult radio stations, which usually played Sinatra, Tony Bennett, Julie London, etc. were playing it and having discussions about what this meant for the future of music and society!
It changed visual arts as well- blowing open the doors of creativity.
Maybe today it doesn't SOUND as exceptional (except for the songs themselves, of course, which are all classics), but that's only because so much of the world of music emulates approaches to music that were so perfectly crystallized in that album.
I listen to it a lot today and marvel at it still.

doug s.

• makin' music
« Reply #90 on: 21 Mar 2012, 01:38 am »
Never bought a Beatles album in my life.  NEVER liked the band.
following your posts of what you do listen to, on the "what are you listening to now" thread, why am i not surprised?   :lol:

Are you sure you like music  :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:
following his posts of what he does listen to, on the "what are you listening to now" thread, i'd have to say emphatically NO!!!  :lol:

doug s.

doug s.

• makin' music
« Reply #91 on: 21 Mar 2012, 01:46 am »
...Yet, I still love my vinyl recordings much much more. More friendly, more engaging & more emotional.

Higher noise floor, lower SNR, compression, more distortion(s), wow, flutter, record noise and wear, and no multi channel. 

Ouside of that, it's great.  :wink:

Anyway, back to the Beatles!   :thumb:
sorry, freo, for many, the noise floor on winyl is sufficiently low, snr/compression/distortion is no greater than cd due to recording methodology, wow/flutter/noise/wear is a non issue, due to half-decent winyl rig, and multi-channel is a non issue regardless of playback software.

this, coupled with a smoother, more engaging, less sterile sound offered by winyl vs digital makes all the difference in the world, for many.  outside of that, digital is great!   :wink:

doug s.

doug s.

• makin' music
« Reply #92 on: 21 Mar 2012, 01:50 am »
i woted for abbey road.  sgt peppers and rubber soul tie for second.  i will have to give rewolwer a good listen, now that i have a copy, courtesy of the recent 425lp windfall i received, driving to b'more to graciously give some poor soul an additional ~6' of shelf space.   :green:  it may tie sgt peppers and rubber soul fro 2nd; not yet sure...

doug s.

doug s.

• makin' music
« Reply #93 on: 21 Mar 2012, 01:56 am »
I have now seen the elephant. I have seen and heard many many things said about the Beatles but I can honestly say that I have never heard anyone say that before.
Not a criticism, R., just an observation.
 It's actually refreshing to hear someone come at it from that angle as the commonly-expressed view is that the sum was vastly greater than the parts. The Beatles are a sacred rock 'n' roll icon so an opinion like that will get you tied to a stake with kindling piled around your feet PDQ. However, I'm sure you will give off a most exquisite crackle... :green:

Shine on.

D.D.

i'm w/you, d/d - the beatles are the dictionary definition of the term "the whole is greater than the sum of the parts".

doug s.

Diamond Dog

• Chameleon, Comedian, Corinthian and Caricature
« Reply #94 on: 21 Mar 2012, 02:06 am »
i'm w/you, d/d - the beatles are the dictionary definition of the term "the whole is greater than the sum of the parts".

doug s.

That too!   :lol:

D.D.

Rclark

« Reply #95 on: 21 Mar 2012, 05:38 am »
Paul McCartney Really Is Dead - the Last Testament of George Harrison

- Netflix Streaming.

doug s.

• makin' music
« Reply #96 on: 21 Mar 2012, 05:58 am »
Paul McCartney Really Is Dead - the Last Testament of George Harrison

- Netflix Streaming.

george harrison is dead, that's certain. 

doug s.

Rclark

« Reply #97 on: 21 Mar 2012, 06:17 am »

just watch it for fun, at the very least it's very entertaining.

kbuzz3

« Reply #98 on: 21 Mar 2012, 06:06 pm »
Without question the first half of goats head soup....

dont mean to be a troll just wanted toa dd a little humor