Why Planar's for you?

jimdgoulding

Re: Why Planar's for you?
« Reply #20 on: 3 Mar 2012, 08:54 pm »
When I moved into the room I have now, I had to listen with much closer proximity.  From this position, I could sometimes hear the elements rattle.  I took off the grille sox, unscrewed all the stock screws and replaced them with longer screws and managed to crack some of the plastic frames.  And it didn't work anyway.  A month or so later, one speaker slowly went quiet.  Acoustat was out of business by this time.  I sent them to speaker heaven.  This was before I had a computer and access to all the info available today.  If I had it to do over again, things might have turned out differently, dunno.  It bumms me just thinking about it.   

medium jim

« Reply #21 on: 3 Mar 2012, 09:13 pm »
Jim:

Sorry for drudging up the bad memories.  If not for the Internet, I wouldn't have been able to fix my Magnepan 2.5's. 

Thanks for being brave enough to share your experience.

Jim

apog

« Reply #22 on: 3 Mar 2012, 10:22 pm »
In early 90s I was looking to replace my AR9s and found the speakers that sounded more or less 'right' were all planars (ie Quad, Magnepan, Martin Logan) but Apogee Slant 8s were the ones for me.  After 17 years with the 8s, I've quite recently purchased a pair of Rich Murry's Duetta Ultimates.  I haven't quite yet nailed placement, but can already tell they'll be keeping me happy for at least another 17.   :D

NIGHTFALL1970

« Reply #23 on: 4 Mar 2012, 01:18 am »
I. Greyhound fan,
I was considering replacing my 1.7s with Salk Veracity HT3s. I have not heard them and they are 6K. That is more money than I have ever spent on speakers before. You seem to like the Mags better.  Should I just keep the 1.7s? What are the differences?

• Don't touch the VOLUME!!
« Reply #24 on: 4 Mar 2012, 03:17 am »
That would be the sound  :duh:

josh358

« Reply #25 on: 4 Mar 2012, 04:06 am »
Apogee's are really nice speakers but, unfortunately, they're dinosaurs at this point.....just not quite extinct yet.
No more being made (in any decent quantity) and the repairs are expensive and inconvenient.

This summer/fall (after I retire from my day job) I'm going to turn my attention to an Apogee "repair" procedure that might be attractive to a wide variety of Apogee owners.  A procedure that can be done locally, or possibly by the user himself.  My Duetta II's will be the trial-horses for this procedure.  Stay tuned.

If you can come up with something, I'm sure a lot of owners will be grateful. I understand why Graz stopped selling the woofer materials direct, but in some cases that's made older Apogees economically impractical to repair.

SteveFord

• Facilitator
  • The poodle bites, the poodle chews it.
« Reply #26 on: 4 Mar 2012, 10:54 am »
Nightfall1970,
Maybe contact Salk to see if they can arrange a demo and then swing by a dealer and hear some 3.7s before you make up your mind.

NIGHTFALL1970

« Reply #27 on: 4 Mar 2012, 05:30 pm »
Steve,
Thanks for the reply.  I think the 3.7s are too big for my room.  I live way too far from Mn to do a demo.  I never felt that I needed a sub (or subs) with the 1.7s.  It's just something I have wondered about.