who would you give a kidney..

ricko01

who would you give a kidney..
« on: 2 Mar 2012, 10:38 am »
or a marrow transplant to save ....

I am not talking of people who self destructed (J.Hendrix/Elvis/J.Joplin/J.Morrision/C.Parker) but an artist who died prematurely due to relatively natural causes.

For me, above all others, it would be Hound Dog Taylor.

To me, he was the Blues distilled into its very essence. One drop of Hound Dog Essence is worth a gallon of anyone else (although Freddie King comes so incredible close but losses out due to his relative fame)

So who would you really want to save?.

Peter

Devil Doc

• On the road to Perdition
Re: who would you give a kidney..
« Reply #1 on: 2 Mar 2012, 12:56 pm »
My wife and my kids. I limit kidney donations to close relatives.

Doc

SoundGame

« Reply #2 on: 2 Mar 2012, 01:26 pm »
For a pair of Bryston 28B-SST2, in a flash - for 7B's, I'd need some time to think about it but probably. :icon_twisted:

95Dyna

« Reply #3 on: 2 Mar 2012, 03:09 pm »
Speaking as one who is alive today only due to the generosity of a kidney donor four years ago, the act of donation is one of the most selfless and most appreciated gifts one could bestow on another.  You'll never know the joy I felt waking up from the surgery and immediately feeling like a human being again.  And then I bought my 7B SST2's/BP26....  Joy piled on top of joy.  :thumb:

thunderbrick

• Volunteer
  • I'm just not right!
« Reply #4 on: 2 Mar 2012, 03:42 pm »
So, did you give the Bryston system to the donor?    :icon_twisted: :lol:

95Dyna

« Reply #5 on: 2 Mar 2012, 09:37 pm »
So, did you give the Bryston system to the donor?    :icon_twisted: :lol:

Sadly the young man's kidney was available due to his death in an accident.  Being alive long enough to experience the joy of listening to music produced by my Bryston components is just one of the endless things for which I will be forever grateful to him and his family.

Ron D

« Reply #6 on: 2 Mar 2012, 09:57 pm »
There was a similar thread somewhere a few years back and when asked who would you give up your system for (and I guess there are those who would rather give up a kidney than their system...) to bring back my response was Eva Cassidy. There were many choices to make but that may have been my first thought as I had just discovered her at the time.

thunderbrick

• Volunteer
  • I'm just not right!
« Reply #7 on: 2 Mar 2012, 10:04 pm »
Sadly the young man's kidney was available due to his death in an accident.  Being alive long enough to experience the joy of listening to music produced by my Bryston components is just one of the endless things for which I will be forever grateful to him and his family.

Sorry!  I really stepped in that one. :duh: :duh: :duh: :duh: :duh: :duh: :duh: :duh: :duh: :duh: :duh: :duh: :duh: :duh: :duh: :duh: :duh: :duh: :duh: :duh:

BrysTony

« Reply #8 on: 2 Mar 2012, 10:45 pm »
There was a similar thread somewhere a few years back and when asked who would you give up your system for (and I guess there are those who would rather give up a kidney than their system...) to bring back my response was Eva Cassidy. There were many choices to make but that may have been my first thought as I had just discovered her at the time.

Nice reminder of Eva Cassidy -- an awesome performer whose life was far too short.  Queuing up Eva on my BDP-1 right now.

Tony

95Dyna

« Reply #9 on: 3 Mar 2012, 03:29 am »
Sorry!  I really stepped in that one. :duh: :duh: :duh: :duh: :duh: :duh: :duh: :duh: :duh: :duh: :duh: :duh: :duh: :duh: :duh: :duh: :duh: :duh: :duh: :duh:

It's OK, thunderbrick.  Don't sweat it.  I was probably out of line bringing a real life kidney donation comment to the thread.  My bad, not yours.  :thumb:

SHV

« Reply #10 on: 3 Mar 2012, 04:35 am »
It's OK, thunderbrick.  Don't sweat it.  I was probably out of line bringing a real life kidney donation comment to the thread.  My bad, not yours.  :thumb:

I think that a "real life" story is very positive if it will make a person think to request being a potential donor on their driver's license.  "feeling like a human being again.", pretty much makes the case for not sending good organs to the embalmers.

Steve

Pez

« Reply #11 on: 3 Mar 2012, 06:47 am »
Well Tyson donated his liver to me. I ate it with some fava beans and a nice chianti.

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
« Reply #12 on: 3 Mar 2012, 06:52 am »
Well Tyson donated his liver to me. I ate it with some fava beans and a nice chianti.

It's nice to see you having some of the other AC members for dinner. 
But I dunno about Tyson's liver- well worn with all that Scotch.

Pez

« Reply #13 on: 3 Mar 2012, 07:33 am »
It's nice to see you having some of the other AC members for dinner. 
But I dunno about Tyson's liver- well worn with all that Scotch.

I think you mean thoroughly marinated and tenderized.  :icon_twisted:

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #14 on: 3 Mar 2012, 04:46 pm »
I feel like such an idiot :duh: 

I have been listening to Eva Cassidy for a coulpe of years now and was one of the artists I used when I was evaluating the BDP-1 concept.  I had no idea she died in 96 at 33  :oops:  What a shame and what a voice  - I am listening to her now - Imagine Album - brings tears to my eyes.

james

thunderbrick

• Volunteer
  • I'm just not right!
« Reply #15 on: 3 Mar 2012, 04:54 pm »
I think that a "real life" story is very positive if it will make a person think to request being a potential donor on their driver's license.  "feeling like a human being again.", pretty much makes the case for not sending good organs to the embalmers.

Steve

+1!  Have a buddy whose kidneys failed, and his brother-in-law donated one.  I did ask him "if your sister and brother-in-law divorce, would you have to give back the kidney?"

I am an organ donor on my drivers license, and my wife keeps threatening to make a lot of ill people happy, earlier than I might feel appropriate.   :nono:

Stu Pitt

« Reply #16 on: 3 Mar 2012, 05:28 pm »
+1!  Have a buddy whose kidneys failed, and his brother-in-law donated one.  I did ask him "if your sister and brother-in-law divorce, would you have to give back the kidney?"

There was a guy who gave a kidney to his wife, and later sued her for it when they divorced.  Saw it on the news a year or two ago and your comment reminded me about it.

I tried to give my mother one.  Blood types didn't match.  So did my siblings and my wife.  My mother has an odd antibody that's making things difficult to find a donor.

Polysystic Kidney Disease sucks.  All but one of her 8 siblings has the disease and either have had a transplant or will need one eventually, as it's just a matter of time.  Fortunately, neither me nor my siblings have the disease.  Most of my cousins do however. 

Diamond Dog

• Chameleon, Comedian, Corinthian and Caricature
« Reply #17 on: 3 Mar 2012, 06:22 pm »

I'd give a kidney to my other kidney...just to , you know, kinda help it out and as a way of thanking it for doing such a good job all these years while asking for so little in return...

Just seems right somehow.  :green:

D.D.

95Dyna

« Reply #18 on: 5 Mar 2012, 04:23 pm »
There was a guy who gave a kidney to his wife, and later sued her for it when they divorced.  Saw it on the news a year or two ago and your comment reminded me about it.

I tried to give my mother one.  Blood types didn't match.  So did my siblings and my wife.  My mother has an odd antibody that's making things difficult to find a donor.

Polysystic Kidney Disease sucks.  All but one of her 8 siblings has the disease and either have had a transplant or will need one eventually, as it's just a matter of time.  Fortunately, neither me nor my siblings have the disease.  Most of my cousins do however.

I hear ya, Stu.  PKD is what did me in and it has ravaged our family as well.