What Gear or Other Change Has Done the Most for Your System?

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
Re: What Gear or Other Change Has Done the Most for Your System?
« Reply #20 on: 25 Feb 2012, 06:52 am »
This is a tough question, as so many things gradually add the system quality.  If listing changes in order...
1.  going from set of GR-Research AV-3 speakers to LS9 speakers
2.  going from a midfi pre to a Dodd battery pre
3. Vacuum record cleaner
4. adding diffusers
5a. changing outlets
5b. tube rolling
6. Wywires IC's
7. power cords, amps,
« Last Edit: 1 Mar 2012, 01:54 am by S Clark »

2gumby2

« Reply #21 on: 25 Feb 2012, 10:00 am »
The most dramatic change for me was when I got a Bel Canto phono satge into my system. I had no idea vinyl could sound so good.

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #22 on: 25 Feb 2012, 10:30 am »
Speakers (1st always)

Room (2nd always)

Power amp

Somehow sources have never "done it" for me.   :scratch:

DaveNote

• Without music, life would be a mistake. Nietzsche
« Reply #23 on: 25 Feb 2012, 12:34 pm »
Actual it wasnt about endless small adjustments... it was trying some really kinky placements as well as trying some of the standard "maths" based ones (cardas, audio physic etc).

Some of the non-standard ones were excellent.. so my point is trying stupid placements that are unconventional (such as extreme toe in, toe out, speakers in far flung corners) taught me stacks about my system and my room.

And as I say while the timeline was long, I tried maybe 6 different settings but left each one in place for several months then compared the current to what were my existing two favorites.

So not a lot of shifting and it was free...

Very interesting, indeed. Never thought of making these kinds of changes. Unfortunately, neither my room nor physical abilities give me the latitude to make big moves with my big speakers on spiked stands.

Dave

jaylevine

« Reply #24 on: 25 Feb 2012, 02:30 pm »
Speakers (1st always)

Room (2nd always)

Power amp

:thumb: :thumb:

Don't see how anything but speakers rise to the top of the list...

won ton on

« Reply #25 on: 25 Feb 2012, 02:31 pm »
my Salk ht2-tl's

Old timer

« Reply #26 on: 25 Feb 2012, 02:39 pm »
The TRL Dude preamp that I recently purchased has transformed my system. I didn't realize how dynamic music could be, yet sound so natural and at ease.

Now I'm looking at a pair of amps from Tube Research.

DaveNote

• Without music, life would be a mistake. Nietzsche
« Reply #27 on: 25 Feb 2012, 02:53 pm »
Speakers (1st always)

Room (2nd always)

Power amp

JLM, this is the order of improvement I always assumed to be the best guide, and still is what I advise others to follow. However, my experience tells me that circumstances can dictate what might have the greatest effects.

I used to have a sound room that was virtually square. Nothing, absolutely nothing, I tried could make that room sound right. When I moved to a new home with a good rectangular room, the difference was incredible. But was it an audiophile kind of improvement (i.e. diagnosing an issue, searching for a solution, buying the gear, etc.) or just eliminating a problem inherent in a room I had no way of changing? I count it as a dramatic, but kind of ass-backwards almost inadvertent change.

Before getting my 7BSST2s, I placed amps as number 3 as you do. However, as I explained in another post on this thread, my changed speakers did not show dramatic improvement until I changed my amps.

Moral? Despite the plain intent of my OP question, it may be that circumstances sometimes dictate that dramatic changes in performance come about with multiple changes in gear and other factors.

Dave

95Dyna

« Reply #28 on: 25 Feb 2012, 02:59 pm »
I have had my Infinnity 9 Kappas for almost 21 years now so I have the speaker placement down pat.  Over the past two years I have upgraded to 7B SST2's, BP26, Esoteric X-05, VPI Classic, Benz Wood SL, Ray Samuels F117 Nighthawk, Torus CS15 and WireWorld Silver Eclipse 6 SC's and balancred IV's. 

The 9 Kappas are notorious amp killers dipping to .8 ohms in the low 30 hz range with nasty phase angles. 
As such the 7B's have made the biggest impact simply due to their iron fisted control of the speakers.  I honestly feel as if I have also spent $15K on a new pair of speakers which is about what it would take to replace the Infinitys to better them.  I like to say driving these speakers is a walk in the park for the 7's.

I would give honorable mention to the X-05 and the Torus CS15.  The former is a marvelous bang for the buck CD player and the latter made a noticeable improvement to the stability of the soundstage and imaging.

95Dyna

« Reply #29 on: 25 Feb 2012, 03:02 pm »

I have had my Infinity 9 Kappas for almost 21 years now so I have the speaker placement down pat.  Over the past two years I have upgraded to 7B SST2's, BP26, Esoteric X-05, VPI Classic, Benz Wood SL, Ray Samuels F117 Nighthawk, Torus CS15 and WireWorld Silver Eclipse 6 SC's and balancred IV's. 

The 9 Kappas are notorious amp killers dipping to .8 ohms in the low 30 hz range with nasty phase angles. 
As such the 7B's have made the biggest impact simply due to their iron fisted control of the speakers.  I honestly feel as if I have also spent $15K on a new pair of speakers which is about what it would take to replace the Infinitys to better them.  I like to say driving these speakers is a walk in the park for the 7's.

I would give honorable mention to the X-05 and the Torus CS15.  The former is a marvelous bang for the buck CD player and the latter made a noticeable improvement to the stability of the soundstage and imaging.

jaxwired

« Reply #30 on: 25 Feb 2012, 03:10 pm »
KEF Q1 Bookshelf speakers > JBL 1400 Project Arrays
Marantz SR-19 receiver      > 28B SST²/BP 26
Marantz CC-38 CD player    > Esoteric X-05

This is fascinating.  Talk about taking the leap.  The vast majority of hifi enthusiasts take a much longer path with incremental upgrades.  What made you jump right to end game?  It's a heck of a gap between those products.

It's actually the cheapest way to do it as getting to the same level through incremental upgrades involves much more wallet pain.

rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio Consulting -
« Reply #31 on: 25 Feb 2012, 03:46 pm »
   For me it was getting the room right. Equipment changes such as the front end and speakers allowed me to get deeper into the music.
  The room however was put aside. A big mistake. After measuring away and treating accordingly the result was staggering.
  Eliminating the standing waves allowed the rest of the spectrum to come thru as never before. Live and learn.
   Adding the BSGT Qol was the biggest improvement. This changed the game entirely. Thoght the system was at its peak of performance, was I wrong. To top it all off adding a third sub placed behind me about 5 feet away added dimension, and a fullness to the sound which amazed me.
  In the end, the room, the Qol, and third Sub in that order did it for me. We are dealers for BSGT Qol so we may be a bit biased.

charles

Laundrew

• "Sometimes it rains inside my head..."
« Reply #32 on: 25 Feb 2012, 04:20 pm »
This is fascinating.  Talk about taking the leap.  The vast majority of hifi enthusiasts take a much longer path with incremental upgrades.  What made you jump right to end game?  It's a heck of a gap between those products.

Greetings jaxwired  :D

I changed careers, turned in my ID card along with my uniforms, drove out the front gate with my "thank you" certificate from the prime minister on a Friday and assumed a normal life (:wink:) on a Monday - Lady Laundrew was so happy and relieved. One day, I was reading an abandoned Stereo magazine in the lunchroom and thought to myself that it would be interesting to hear some of this gear. I was very fortunate to be living close to the GTA where I could demo this equipment firsthand and was ecstatic at how my music sounded. You might also find it interesting to know that I had never heard of Bryston or Esoteric before this.

I realized that this equipment was now within reach and decided to spoil myself on 2 fronts; devised a schedule to acquire my new system starting with the 1400s and secondly, grow my hair long and dye it black so I could finally look the way as I had always seen myself in the mirror over the previous years.

Ahh... it is good to be nice to yourself from time to time  :D

Be well...

jaxwired

« Reply #33 on: 25 Feb 2012, 04:40 pm »
Greetings jaxwired  :D

I changed careers, turned in my ID card along with my uniforms, drove out the front gate with my "thank you" certificate from the prime minister on a Friday and assumed a normal life (:wink:) on a Monday - Lady Laundrew was so happy and relieved. One day, I was reading an abandoned Stereo magazine in the lunchroom and thought to myself that it would be interesting to hear some of this gear. I was very fortunate to be living close to the GTA where I could demo this equipment firsthand and was ecstatic at how my music sounded. You might also find it interesting to know that I had never heard of Bryston or Esoteric before this.

I realized that this equipment was now within reach and decided to spoil myself on 2 fronts; devised a schedule to acquire my new system starting with the 1400s and secondly, grow my hair long and dye it black so I could finally look the way as I had always seen myself in the mirror over the previous years.

Ahh... it is good to be nice to yourself from time to time  :D

Be well...

Well done!  I'm inspired. 

It's still surprising you'd go for the 28s.

Warren_Buff

« Reply #34 on: 25 Feb 2012, 06:34 pm »
Speakers (1st always)

Room (2nd always)

Power amp

Much the same as my experience.
Note that the room is very important and Bryston's biggest competitor according Bryan Russell at Bryston:
http://hifi-unlimited.blogspot.com/2009/10/friendly-chat-with-brian-russell.html

Ilkatze

« Reply #35 on: 26 Feb 2012, 07:09 am »
I stand with ricko1 in reference to speaker placement contributing most to my system.

I also share JLM and rollo's experiences with the room itself being a significant factor in system sound.  When I was moving from apartment to apartment before settling in my current place, it was as if I had a different system in each place I lived.

Aside from speaker placement and physical space, it was a preamp that made for the most dramatic change and benefit to my system (started with a BP-20, now use a BP-26; had a BP4 at one time which was also wonderful).

tim92gts

« Reply #36 on: 26 Feb 2012, 10:30 am »
Definitely on the side of the infrequent but significant changes here.
Last upgrade was from Monitor Audio GR60s to PMC BB5is followed by
changing the NAD C272s plus C162 to Bryston 14BSST2s plus Lyngdorf
DPA-1.
All performed as expected so the change was expletive deleted amazing.
i always mess around with speaker positioning for a year or so after purchase.

Most cost effective upgrade was probably carpeting the room we used to use.
Got a remnant as it doubled as a kitchen but the sound was transformed compared to the tiled floor.

bjski

« Reply #37 on: 26 Feb 2012, 08:14 pm »
Biggest inprovement for me was adding 7BSST/2.

sweetspot

« Reply #38 on: 26 Feb 2012, 09:11 pm »
 Moving my system to a dedicated room,but even more was adding the bcd-1.

vegasdave

• My online rock magazine-Crypt Magazine
« Reply #39 on: 26 Feb 2012, 11:19 pm »
Most recently, the Bryston SC4 speaker cable. The difference is not subtle with the 4BSST amp!