http://herbiesaudiolab.home.att.net

Tinker

• http://web.access.net.au/~bwilliam/macam
« Reply #40 on: 25 Jul 2004, 03:13 am »
Quote from: kyrill
the Kwak clock 7 is still available as a DIY but superseded by Kwak clock 8 which is by Eiso Kwak himself a magnitude better. The '8" however cannot be build, only ordered as a complete unit. And is as expensive as the (still in my opinion the best of the reasonable priced) LcAudio from Denmark

Thanks for the heads up on this. I'll be interested in your final assessment of these two products. It entirely possible that each could have the same jitter level, but a different jitter spectrum, which would be an interesting comparison too. Also it seems clear that circuit layout and build quality plays a big part in these high speed devices. I look forward to further insights from your extensive audio travels.

Cheers,
   T.

kyrill

« Reply #41 on: 25 Jul 2004, 12:06 pm »
Ok
My best friend and neighbour has the newest Guido Tent clock, which I can de- assemble and put it the the TEAC as the clock freq is all the same

So with some work I can compare 3 different clocks in one transport

maybe even with the toggle of the switch. This litle jitter inducing device will be equal for the 3 dacs.

I still wait for all the 3 clocks for 3 very fine powersupplies from guido tent. Guido puts a lot of emphasis on the "purity" and fastness of the pws for accurate clocks. his pws is better than the one form LcAudio.

I wil come back to this

Rocket

clock upgrades
« Reply #42 on: 26 Jul 2004, 03:00 am »
Hi,

Here is a link to the tentlabs site.  I have been thinking of installing one of these in my marantz cd4000 which i use as a transport for me perpetual technologies dac.

I have a pioneer pds 507 which has an iec plug, damping mods and g&d clock installed in it.  I thought it sounded as good as a stock perpetual technologies p3a.

http://www.tentlabs.com/

regards

rod

Lost81

OT (again): Diving the Arch of The Blue Hole, Dahab
« Reply #43 on: 30 Aug 2004, 08:47 pm »
Chanced upon this article over the weekend while perusing the report of an unfortunate recreational diver who foolishly attempted a 100m dive at The Blue Hole on a single 11 liter / 83 cu. ft. tank of compressed air :roll:

DiverNet's article on The Blue Hole, Dahab

Map of the Arch at The Blue Hole

An instructor later recovered the tank and BCD at 168m but could not locate the body. (I wonder how much the deceased's next-of-kin paid the instructor to pull off such a profile).

Anyways, DiverNet's description of hanging there, weightless, insignificant, surrounded by the vast blue nothingness, made me homesick for deep diving...

The closest approximate I can come up with is this:
Imagine that you are listening to your favorite song in the darkness, alone. Imagine how the notes, the riffs, the melodies wrap themselves around you. Now try to imagine that the feeling of this "enwrapping" sensation is tactile, physical, tangible. That, is the feeling of floating, weightless, hundreds of feet down from the surface, suspended motionless over a seabed that is hundreds or thousands more feet below you, unseen, unseeable...

:rock:
-Lost81

andyr

Re: OT (again): Diving the Arch of The Blue Hole, Dahab
« Reply #44 on: 31 Aug 2004, 06:44 am »
Quote from: Lost81
Chanced upon this article over the weekend while perusing the report of an unfortunate recreational diver who foolishly attempted a 100m dive at The Blue Hole on a single 11 liter / 83 cu. ft. tank of compressed air :roll:  ...
Wow, what a top dive spot!  Too bad I'm never likely to be able to make it.  Lost81 - have you read about the Bikini Atoll wrecks - they need mixed gas too.

Regards,

Andy

Lost81

« Reply #45 on: 31 Aug 2004, 07:14 am »
Quote from: andyr
have you read about the Bikini Atoll wrecks - they need mixed gas too.

Hi Andy,

Yep. I heard a lot about the Bikini Atoll wrecks.
As a matter of fact, one of the local dive shops around here is planning an expedition to it next year.
(Nah, I can't afford it. It is one of those "once in a lifetime trips" that costs five figures--usually in the ballpark of US$10,000).

If I were to do it, I will do mixed gas though.
The problem is that Bikini Atoll does not have helium.
You will have to ship all your helium on a vessel headed that way 6 months ahead of time.
This adds a huge premium to an already ludicruously expensive trip. And then there is the problem of helium diffusing out through the tanks over time.

The alternative is to do deep air. But then you won't remember most of the dive  :lol:

:mrgreen:
-Lost81

andyr

« Reply #46 on: 31 Aug 2004, 07:25 am »
Quote from: Lost81
Hi Andy,

The alternative is to do deep air. But then you won't remember most of the dive ...
Yeah but you'll have a real buzz on every dive.  And that metallic taste of deep air is addictive, eh??!!

Regards,

Andy

Lost81

« Reply #47 on: 31 Aug 2004, 06:18 pm »
Quote from: andyr
Yeah but you'll have a real buzz on every dive.  And that metallic taste of deep air is addictive, eh??!!

Ah, so I'm talking to a fellow renegade as well.
(Took compressed air down to 61m on HMS Repulse).
Talk about a buzz, lengthy deco stops, and that metallic taste
 :angel:

But I will definitely do mixed-gas next time...
I seriously do not remember most of the dive  
 :o

-Lost81