2 more convert's to the Maggie fold

madog99

2 more convert's to the Maggie fold
« on: 24 Feb 2012, 12:10 am »
My buddy has been coming over for awhile listening to my old  SMGA's and has been on the lookout for a used set of MMG's within a few hours drive to no avail ,so finally ordered a new set from the local dealer who he swore he would not set foot in again . bit of a backlog at factory so he was told so will be about 4 weeks till he gets them . Last weekend we were up North on an icefishing trip visiting an old friend and talking Maggies . So after the weekend buddy up north emails me that he picked up a set of 2009 MMG's at 1/2 price local , in the little town we were in !!!  talk about salt in the wound  :lol: So I have converted 2 more to the fold. Strange after visiting my place with my old 1984 set , they both now will have Maggies . Now wait until I do the crossover mods on mine and we will see what they do next  :)

SteveFord

• Facilitator
  • The poodle bites, the poodle chews it.
Re: 2 more convert's to the Maggie fold
« Reply #1 on: 24 Feb 2012, 12:41 am »
Madog99, Enabler Extraordinaire!

madog99

« Reply #2 on: 24 Feb 2012, 01:02 am »
Madog99, Enabler Extraordinaire!

LOL , the wives call me something else though !

BaMorin

• AR turntable rebuilder/modifyer
« Reply #3 on: 24 Feb 2012, 06:21 pm »
LOL , the wives call me something else though !

we married sisters?  :P

madog99

« Reply #4 on: 24 Feb 2012, 11:09 pm »
we married sisters?  :P

Hey Marc , their wives !  Mine clued in a long time ago  :lol:

Rclark

« Reply #5 on: 24 Feb 2012, 11:37 pm »
Same here. I got a buddy with some Klipsch Reference 83's and he came over to listen to my mmgs a lot, and helped me the day they came back from Magnestand.

...Needless to say he is now searching out a deal on mmg's and anxious to get them modded. Klipsch is outta there.  :lol:

madog99

« Reply #6 on: 24 Feb 2012, 11:54 pm »
Same here. I got a buddy with some Klipsch Reference 83's and he came over to listen to my mmgs a lot, and helped me the day they came back from Magnestand.

...Needless to say he is now searching out a deal on mmg's and anxious to get them modded. Klipsch is outta there.  :lol:

Funny how that works , my local buddy has been using Energy C'6's for years and is now parting ways with them , other buddy has Mission towers of some sort . I am really looking forward to hearing the MMG's on a good rig , never had the chance so will be very exciting for me also . Another 2 weeks or more and then they will need break in too  :icon_twisted:

madog99

« Reply #7 on: 11 Mar 2012, 02:29 pm »
So the local dealer gave buddy the floor demo's to take home until his new MMG's arrive (going on 5 weeks now ) , so had a chance to listen to them.  He had a fairly large and lively room and the MMG's showed the extended highs over my SMGA's but seemed to not have the low end of mine. But he has a small sub so kicked that in . anyway sounded pretty nice . I guess he had been doing a lot of listening and adjusting of placement this past weekend , got this email last night .

"OK, I am converted now...these things really are amazing, no more boxes for me. I am listening to shawn colvin, always found her voice a bit harsh on energys , not with these and I never liked detail before but now I do and these things have detail and ridiculous imaging. I have only had one beer and this is the best thing I have ever heard !

:lol:

Davey

« Reply #8 on: 11 Mar 2012, 06:12 pm »
It's interesting you mention Shawn Colvin.  I like Shawn Colvin and have all the albums, but these are not very well produced and have questionable recording quality.  And they got worse through the years.  :)  My favorite is still the first album..."Steady On".
Anyways, those are not the type of recordings/music that really demonstrate what a pair of Magnepan's can do.

With well recorded classical music (that was engineered to capture the ambiance of the recording venue) Magnepan's can really demonstrate what a believable acoustic experience they can recreate.
Lately I've been listening to some SACD's in the Channel Classics catalog.  Some of these are breathtaking in the their recording realism when produced with excellent speakers....like Maggies.

Cheers,

Dave.

madog99

« Reply #9 on: 11 Mar 2012, 07:18 pm »
It's interesting you mention Shawn Colvin.  I like Shawn Colvin and have all the albums, but these are not very well produced and have questionable recording quality.  And they got worse through the years.  :)  My favorite is still the first album..."Steady On".
Anyways, those are not the type of recordings/music that really demonstrate what a pair of Magnepan's can do.

With well recorded classical music (that was engineered to capture the ambiance of the recording venue) Magnepan's can really demonstrate what a believable acoustic experience they can recreate.
Lately I've been listening to some SACD's in the Channel Classics catalog.  Some of these are breathtaking in the their recording realism when produced with excellent speakers....like Maggies.

Cheers,

Dave.

Actually that was my buddy's comments , he was spinning "cover girl " which I think has a great sound , the live tracks really jump out at ya.  He is not a classical fan at all but we did spin a bunch of pretty hifi discs the other night .

Davey

« Reply #10 on: 12 Mar 2012, 03:36 am »
Yep, I understood it was your buddy's comments.  I spun "Cover Girl" myself this evening to refresh my memory since it's been a few years since I listened to it.  It's just as horrible as I remember.  :)  Much too much reverb on Shawn's voice (especially the live tracks) and most of the instruments are panned all the way left or right which is somewhat distracting.

But, he's a convert and that's all that really matters.  I see more beers and extended listening sessions on the horizon.  :)

Cheers,

Dave.