Bryston + MA GX300

rpmartins

Bryston + MA GX300
« on: 22 Feb 2012, 07:08 pm »
Hi!
I´m seriously thinking of buying Bryston BP6+4bsst2 (or 3bsst2).
I´m about to try Monitor Audio GX300 and other ProAc speakers but the store doesn´t sell Bryston.
The system will be used in a 24m2 room,

Can you tell me if this kind of speakers matches well with Bryston´s amplification? Read about PMC, but I have no chance of hearing them.
I´ve another big doubt: to feed speakers like MA GX300 and ProAC D15 or D18, do I need 4bsst2, or it´s worth saving money and choose the 3b?

Thanks in advance.

SoundGame

Re: Bryston + MA GX300
« Reply #1 on: 22 Feb 2012, 08:18 pm »
Hi!
I´m seriously thinking of buying Bryston BP6+4bsst2 (or 3bsst2).
I´m about to try Monitor Audio GX300 and other ProAc speakers but the store doesn´t sell Bryston.
The system will be used in a 24m2 room,

Can you tell me if this kind of speakers matches well with Bryston´s amplification? Read about PMC, but I have no chance of hearing them.
I´ve another big doubt: to feed speakers like MA GX300 and ProAC D15 or D18, do I need 4bsst2, or it´s worth saving money and choose the 3b?

Thanks in advance.

I own a BP6 and 4B-SST2 and find it detailed, transparent, powerful, neutral with a good level of finesse across the frequency spectrum.  The BP6 is a wonderfully simple single-ended solid-state preamp but if you're looking for balanced IC connection, you might do well to consider the BP26 at a substantially higher cost, when you factor in the MPS-2 power supply. 

There is very little difference in the cost of a 4B $4,995 CDN/US vs 3B $4,295 CDN/US, for the extra $700 you are getting twice the power output, a more substantial power supply, which can help to further isolate the amplifier from inconsistencies / noise coming from the wall.  With more power, you will also have less to worry about down the road, if you decide to change your speakers and take on something more difficult to drive.  If you end up getting the 3B-SST you'll always wonder if you should have just moved up to the 4B; however, when you're at the 4B, you need to double your investment to get anything noticeably better in the Bryston line-up.

The MA sound tends to lean towards the lighter side of things and can come across as a little more forward.  the GX200 would come across as a little lean/thin to many listeners when paired with a neutral solid-state amp like a Bryston, whereas the GX300 may add a little more body.  I've heard the GX300 with SimAudio and found it very detailed, airy in the top frequencies but even then just a tad lean.  I tend to take lean over fat, so not a big issue for me but for someone looking for a full-bodied sound, they probably won't make the deal with Bryston.

PMC / ProAC / Dynaudio have all had good success matching with Bryston.  Some Canadian speaker brands that aim for neutrality, as does Bryston, would include PSB, Paradigm and Axiom.  All three rely on anechoic chambers to test their speakers and get to as flat a response as possible given the cost and parameters of the design.  From PSB, the Imagine and Synchrony lines are solid, so is the case with the Paradigm Studio Reference and Signature lines, and Axiom of late has got some attention from me - you will note if you read some of the threads that James Tanner has tried Axiom M80's with good success, using Bryston amps, of course.

john1970

« Reply #2 on: 23 Feb 2012, 12:39 am »
I second SoundGame's advice and I would definitely go with the 4B SST2 vs. the 3B SST2.  For a less than 20% increase in cost you are gaining twice the power.  I cannot comment on the Monitor Audio speaker because I have not heard them.

Good luck,

John

Laundrew

• "Sometimes it rains inside my head..."
« Reply #3 on: 23 Feb 2012, 12:50 am »

"...  Some Canadian speaker brands that aim for neutrality, as does Bryston, would include PSB, Paradigm and Axiom."

I remember hearing a 14B SST driving a pair of Paradigm Signature S8 speakers - it was definitely a great combination. Unfortunately, I do not remember what pre-amplifier they were using.

Be well...

SoundGame

« Reply #4 on: 23 Feb 2012, 01:39 pm »
I remember hearing a 14B SST driving a pair of Paradigm Signature S8 speakers - it was definitely a great combination. Unfortunately, I do not remember what pre-amplifier they were using.

Be well...

A BP26 would have been a lovely match.  I believe one of our Circle patrons uses the Signature 8's with a Bryston pre/power combination...

SoundGame

« Reply #5 on: 23 Feb 2012, 01:46 pm »
A BP26 would have been a lovely match.  I believe one of our Circle patrons uses the Signature 8's with a Bryston pre/power combination...

Found him...it's our regular Robert D that uses the Paradigm Signature S8's with his full-Bryston setup.  The shame is he shares a lot of his system pics, sans the speakers.

Robert - if you read this, could you share some pictures of your full system with speakers in view, preferably with covers off (though I know Paradigm recommends their grills on for listening).   :thumb:

rpmartins

« Reply #6 on: 23 Feb 2012, 05:05 pm »
Appreciated your replies.
4bsst2 is a "no brainer" as I imagined.
If I´ll choose Bryston, I should pair it with the BP6 as I don´t need the balanced outputs and there´s a big price difference between BP6 and BP26.
From SoundGame´s words I suppose ProAC is a better match than MA. I´m sure I can test models from both companies at some stores nearby but not with Bryston amps.
About PMC and Dynaudio, It´s almost 100% sure I couldn´t try them.
Many say it´s better to buy speakers first, but I´m thinking of buying the amps without hearing them and then search for speakers to match.

rpmartins

« Reply #7 on: 26 Feb 2012, 06:16 pm »
Auditioned MA GX300 with Primare amp and CD player because that´s the system at the store. Didn´t seem special.

Tried the Primare system with Magnepan 1.7 and I couldn´t disguise a smile. So many details! So realistic stage! Violin cords sounded so natural! :drool:

Unfortunately, such a lack of bass.  :cry:

The dealer said that with a powerfull amp (Primare is only 120W) reproduction is far better but he hasn´t got one at the moment.

My question now is if Briston 4sst2 as the ability to extract more bass from Magnepan 1.7 or if they are really limited at deep frequences independently of the amp. Putting it in a pratical way: Is there any possibility that combining Bryston with 1.7 I can appreciate the details and the correct timbre of most instruments in a symphonic orchestra and at the same time hear the roar of the percussion?

I heard ProAc studio 140Mk2 and Response d18 with valve amplification (Primaluna Dialogue2) and transistors (micromega). Didn´t like the 140mk2. D18   approached the Magnepan 1.7 kind of high frequencies but with much more bass, although the holographic image of the musicians, the sensation of "being there" wasn´t nothing in comparison with the american speakers.

Checked already the Magnepan´s audiocircle, but didn´t found useful info about bass issues. Only that there´s Magnepan´s woofers but the effect wasn´t exactly creating lower bass.

Thanks for any opinion that may contribute to buy Magnepan or take them out of my head  :duh:

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #8 on: 26 Feb 2012, 06:39 pm »
Hi

I have both the 1.7 and the 3.7 and if really deep powerful bass is required I would opt for adding a quality Sub.

James

predrag

« Reply #9 on: 26 Feb 2012, 08:35 pm »
Hi

I have both the 1.7 and the 3.7 and if really deep powerful bass is required I would opt for adding a quality Sub.

James

I agree James.
This weekend I have on trial a pair of new 3.7`s.
Maybe it was my mistake for listening mid sized PMC for a long time.
Maggies are hard to beat in the middle and in the treble.
Vocals, piano and acoustic instruments are sounding next to perfect!
However in the bass area I could not achieve satisfying results with only positioning them.
There is simply too little bass and it is boxy.
My conclusion is that a pair of subs would be the only solution.

Anyway, a very nice experience playing with these speakers!

rpmartins

« Reply #10 on: 27 Feb 2012, 12:20 am »
Thanks both.
@Predrag: 2 subs, really? Isn´t one enough for 24m2. Something like BK XLS200MkII connected via high level.

@James: I found the only Bryston and PMC dealer where I can buy and test, but only old models, at 300miles from home: Bryston BP25 and 4B an 14BSST with PMC FB1. Suppose it´s not the same as BP26 and 4BSST2. Do you think it´s worth travel 600 miles to hear them or they are so different than the new models that it´s preferable to buy without spending time and money in the trip (around $250).

@both: If I finally choose Magnepan over PMC, the sub will be well integrated with the speakers or the magnetoaccoustic "magic" will be partially lost? 

Thanks again. It´s nice to have answers from the other side of the ocean.  :thumb:

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #11 on: 27 Feb 2012, 06:28 pm »
Thanks both.
@Predrag: 2 subs, really? Isn´t one enough for 24m2. Something like BK XLS200MkII connected via high level.

@James: I found the only Bryston and PMC dealer where I can buy and test, but only old models, at 300miles from home: Bryston BP25 and 4B an 14BSST with PMC FB1. Suppose it´s not the same as BP26 and 4BSST2. Do you think it´s worth travel 600 miles to hear them or they are so different than the new models that it´s preferable to buy without spending time and money in the trip (around $250).

@both: If I finally choose Magnepan over PMC, the sub will be well integrated with the speakers or the magnetoaccoustic "magic" will be partially lost? 

Thanks again. It´s nice to have answers from the other side of the ocean.  :thumb:

Hi,

Comparing the NEW to the OLD is always difficult for me as changes at this level are evolutionary not revolutionary. So I guess it comes down to value.

As for adding a Sub to a Maggie set up - not easy but worth the effort.

james

rpmartins

« Reply #12 on: 28 Feb 2012, 07:16 pm »
Thanks James.

I suppose the problem shouldn´t be the choice of the sub, but the placement in the room.
I´ll ask for some info at the planar circle.

SoundGame

« Reply #13 on: 29 Feb 2012, 03:06 am »
Thanks James.

I suppose the problem shouldn´t be the choice of the sub, but the placement in the room.
I´ll ask for some info at the planar circle.

I wouldn't make such an assumption.  The choice of sub is critical when matching to speakers to be used for critical listening.  The speed that the sub can react to changes need to match the capabilities of the main speakers.  This is always a compromise but with the Maggies, you'll want a sub that reacts quickly, high transient response - so that it doesn't sound tagged onto the Maggies like a ball and chain. 

I would look into tight, fast reacting subs that have a good crossover to allow for matching.  The suggestion made about two subs is actually a good one, since a single sub is much harder to optimize in a room then two.  The more subs added, the easier it gets.

You might want to do a fair amount of reasearch into the subs that have been proven to work well with Maggies.

rpmartins

« Reply #14 on: 4 Apr 2012, 09:48 am »
More than a month since last post, here I am writing about an audition at home. To those who have patience to read the lines below, please feel free to correct my english, because that´s the only way I can improve my writing.
As the seller doesn´t have Bryston, we tested MA GX300 and Magnepan 1.7 with Plinius Hautonga (Class A/B, 200W).
I felt the 1.7´s bass bigger than when I heard them at the store, but the it wasn´t enough as it lacked impact. So, we connected the Rel T7 (subwoofer) and what a nice match  :icon_twisted:
The system played Classical, Jazz and Rock with great dynamic. In spite of being a very reverberant room, it handled, at very high levels (volume knob at 11 o´clock) the low and high frequencies so well that we continuously heard music for 5 hours with an amazed smile and never tired. With electronic music, and specially with a specific CD, we heard effects of bass I never thought they were recorded. Trying to describe: quick and powerful percussion at the back of the stage and from time to time a shot of bass that runs all along the room floor in a precise line. But so precise that seemed like if the floor has a line of subs passing at the left of the sofa from front to rear wall. More fantastic is that Rel T7 was placed right in front of the sweet spot, what proved that the system is capable of a noticeable separation and positioning of instruments reproducing a 3D image. The subwoofer integrates very well with the 1.7 because it visually disappears. So, if my eyes doesn´t search the sound source it´s because I have a good (virtual) scenary set on  :thumb:
Decided to give MA GX300 a try with Tom Waits. First impressions:
a) good and solid bass; it´s difficult for me to describe, but it was like a wall of (good) bass comparing with Magnepan + Rel;
b) Tom Waits´voice sounded more thin and scratched than it really is;
c) perceptible box coloration.

I can´t say the GX300 were worst than the other combination, but the truth is that we reconnected the Magnepan and continued hearing them for one more hour and didn´t come back to GX300.

I´m still not decided and I´d appreciate to hear your opinion on the following.
About amplification, I can´t compare Bryston BP6+4bsst2 with Plinius Hautonga, but I suppose that the first combo will sound even better than the second, as it has more power. Bryston´s are about $1500 more expensive. Do you think it´s worth it?

Concerning to speakers, I got the idea that GX300 are very good if powered by a good amp. They are a very nice piece of furniture, and become even more beautiful if compared to Magnepan 1.7   :green:
They´re about 60% of Magnepan´s+REL T7 price!
Comparing Magnepan´s+REL price I have other options that I could buy without demoing:
a) MA PL200 (exactly the same price);
b) PMC PB-1i ($500 less);
c) PMC OB-1i ($500 more).

Shot me your point of view, please.  :guns:
Thank you.

PierreB

« Reply #15 on: 5 Apr 2012, 01:48 am »
Hi,
I have a Bryston 2B SST and BP 25 with a pair of ProAc D18 and I am very happy. I have about the same size room of yours and the 2B does a great job. The D18 won't go as deep as some other speakers but the sound is so natural. It depends of what you are looking for.
If you have the $$$, the 4B SST² is the way to go. Someday I will buy one.
If you decide to go with ProAc, don't forget they need at least 200 hours of burn-in.
Also, before you buy, try them at your house.

rpmartins

« Reply #16 on: 5 Apr 2012, 09:23 pm »
Hi PierreB,

Already listened to D18, but not with a Bryston amp and not at home.
Liked them but preferred Magnepan 1.7 + sub.
Concerning to speakers, my doubt is between Magnepan+REL and these brands and models:
a) Monitor Audio PL200 (exactly the same price);
b) PMC PB-1i ($500 less);
c) PMC OB-1i ($500 more).

I´m avoiding ProAc because, where I can buy, their models are more expensive than the above.