FM is Fun Again,with Dynaco!!!!

denny9167

FM is Fun Again,with Dynaco!!!!
« on: 21 Feb 2012, 01:26 am »
I must say,after rebuilding several Dynaco tuners w/new boards and components,I will never feel the same way about FM Stereo again,They may not be the best tuners ever made,but I must say the sound is "INCREDIBLE",another word I could use is simplicity. How can a tuner this simple,sound so fine????  Modern tuners may be more sensitive as well as selective,but the sound "Terrible",I guess that is why I've always played a CD,or record,and left the FM,OFF!!! Not any more.  I find myself listening to the Dynaco,more than I do my iPod,even with tube equipment. I just thought I would chime in,it's been awile,hope everyone is doing well.

decal

Re: FM is Fun Again,with Dynaco!!!!
« Reply #1 on: 21 Feb 2012, 01:32 am »
I wish there were some decent stations around here, I'd love to get another tuner.

denny9167

« Reply #2 on: 21 Feb 2012, 01:48 am »
I wish there were some decent stations around here, I'd love to get another tuner.

There are some really bad stations out there!! I lived in Dallas for awile,about the only station I listened to was 101.1 The Classical station,that was the only one that was half-way decent.  I live in a small town now,and they have a really good station here 94.7,a classic rock station,and I must say the programming is excellent and the sound is really nice.

jimdgoulding

« Reply #3 on: 21 Feb 2012, 01:57 am »
Heard that!  I live out a good ways from town and had to install an outside antenna.  Well worth it!  I'm home a lot.

Guy 13

« Reply #4 on: 21 Feb 2012, 02:44 am »
Hi all Audio Circle members.

Here in Vietnam, the FM sucks...

The signal is very weak for most of the FM stations,

the programming is terrible (No specialize station for one type of music.)

and some station have boosted the bass to a point that it's unbearable or annoying...

I am anxious to get back to Montreal, Canada (March the 15th) where the FM is king.

I will be looking soon for a (Vintage) MacIntosh MR71 FM stereo tube tuner that will be mated with my Niteshade Audio and GR Reserach speakers.

Guy 13

jimdgoulding

« Reply #5 on: 21 Feb 2012, 05:32 am »
Best wishes to you, Guy, for your homecoming.  Your lady speak French?

TONEPUB

« Reply #6 on: 21 Feb 2012, 05:53 am »
I always liked my Dynaco tuner.  Built it from a kit, I think it was about $80 back then...

Guy 13

« Reply #7 on: 21 Feb 2012, 06:02 am »
Best wishes to you, Guy, for your homecoming.  Your lady speak French?

Hi Jim and all Audio Circle members.
Thanks for your best wishes.

I need those wishes, since my return to my home country will not be easy.
I will have to start a new life almost from scatch.

My wife speak fluently french she went for 7 years to College Fraternité and living together for the past 16 years, she even pick-up my French accent from the province of Quebec.

My wife also speak English, well, she can make herself understandable.

Thanks and have a nice day.

Guy 13

Mark Korda

• Dawkus
« Reply #8 on: 21 Feb 2012, 07:06 am »
Denny,I live in Portland Me.2 years ago I bought a Dyna FM-3 that was modded out to the max.I played it once.It was great sounding,but as others have said,the stations suck!It sits on my shelf,like a prize animal trophy,but never gets turned on.As a house painter at this time in my life,55,music is important to get me thru the day.I have found an AM channel,that has no ads,and plays everything from Gary Puckett to a medely of the great songs from the Sound of Music!I can't listen to FM...94.9 WHOM on the top of Mt. Washington,50 years or so..great signal but boring....computer fed,no D.J.......As Mapleshade Audio said,The best sound you can get is from a live FM broadcast on a good tube tuner,better than cd.....before a rebuttle..FM means frequency modulation or (Free Music)....the computer is great,but there is still something very alluring about listening to a tube radio or hi-fi tuner late at night when it costs nothing...you know what I mean....Mark Korda

SteveFord

• Facilitator
  • The poodle bites, the poodle chews it.
« Reply #9 on: 21 Feb 2012, 09:58 pm »
You can get kind of close to the sound by running a SS tuner through a tube buffer but it's not quite there.
Old tube tuners are an addiction!

Devil Doc

• On the road to Perdition
« Reply #10 on: 21 Feb 2012, 10:12 pm »
Hi all Audio Circle members.

Here in Vietnam, the FM sucks...

The signal is very weak for most of the FM stations,

the programming is terrible (No specialize station for one type of music.)

and some station have boosted the bass to a point that it's unbearable or annoying...

I am anxious to get back to Montreal, Canada (March the 15th) where the FM is king.

I will be looking soon for a (Vintage) MacIntosh MR71 FM stereo tube tuner that will be mated with my Niteshade Audio and GR Reserach speakers.

Guy 13

Oh man, you reminded me of my youth when I listend to CKG FM, now CHOM in Montreal. I just found their feed on the internet. They're still one of the best rock stations on the planet. Thanks.

Doc

mark funk

« Reply #11 on: 21 Feb 2012, 10:23 pm »
I don't know? I have five FM-3s and when they are tuned up they sound dam good but you know they are hard to keep running. I'll tell you, I picked up a real sweet Van Alstine Super Tuner II (That is a Dyna FM-5) and sent it to Frank and he did some stuff to it, hell if I know what he did but it sure sounds sweet. That is what I listen to now. I live a little west of Chicago and there are too many dam stations!

:smoke:

Guy 13

« Reply #12 on: 22 Feb 2012, 01:11 am »
Oh man, you reminded me of my youth when I listend to CKG FM, now CHOM in Montreal. I just found their feed on the internet. They're still one of the best rock stations on the planet. Thanks.

Doc

Hi Doc and all Audio Circle members.

I am 64 years old, maybe we did listen to the same type of music and station in our youth ?
Did you mean CKGM FM ?

I more often listen to classical music on FM.

One of the many reasons why I am anxious to get back to Canada is the choice in everything.

Guy 13

Guy 13

« Reply #13 on: 22 Feb 2012, 01:17 am »
I don't know? I have five FM-3s and when they are tuned up they sound dam good but you know they are hard to keep running. I'll tell you, I picked up a real sweet Van Alstine Super Tuner II (That is a Dyna FM-5) and sent it to Frank and he did some stuff to it, hell if I know what he did but it sure sounds sweet. That is what I listen to now. I live a little west of Chicago and there are too many dam s :smoke:

Hi Mark and all Audio Circle members.

Who's Frank ?
If I get my MacIntosh MR-71 FM tuner,
I will be looking for someone to calibrate and
bring to perfect working condition my old - new purchase.
Do you have his coordonates?
(Phone, address, e-mail...)

Last year I spent 2 weeks at my wife's aunt in Elgin, Il
and at night I was searching for a good FM station and there was so many stations stacked one beside the other
that I kept changing stations all night long.
That's what I call having choice.

Guy 13

Indiansprings

« Reply #14 on: 22 Feb 2012, 12:53 pm »
Hi Mark and all Audio Circle members.

Who's Frank ?
If I get my MacIntosh MR-71 FM tuner,
I will be looking for someone to calibrate and
bring to perfect working condition my old - new purchase.
Do you have his coordonates?
(Phone, address, e-mail...)

Last year I spent 2 weeks at my wife's aunt in Elgin, Il
and at night I was searching for a good FM station and there was so many stations stacked one beside the other
that I kept changing stations all night long.
That's what I call having choice.

Guy 13

Here is Frank. :D
http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?board=48.0

rcag_ils

« Reply #15 on: 22 Feb 2012, 09:57 pm »

One that looks like this? I am still waiting for getting the "Frank's stuff" done to it. FM sucks in the Twin Cities as well, only one jazz station that I can find with poor reception, but the Super FM-5 makes it sounds a lot better.

Devil Doc

• On the road to Perdition
« Reply #16 on: 22 Feb 2012, 10:07 pm »
Hi Doc and all Audio Circle members.

I am 64 years old, maybe we did listen to the same type of music and station in our youth ?
Did you mean CKGM FM ?

I more often listen to classical music on FM.

One of the many reasons why I am anxious to get back to Canada is the choice in everything.

Guy 13

Yup, we're about the same age. I discovered CKGM FM on our cable feed about 1967. I was living in the sticks in N. Vermont . It was my outlet into the real world at the time. I'll I had available were AM stations out of Albany and Buffalo NY. That station was a real eye opener.
Doc

Wayner

« Reply #17 on: 22 Feb 2012, 10:08 pm »
rcag_ils, try 88.5 for some nice jazz. It's run by the Minneapolis skool system and also features some nice programs on Saturday morning called string theory, lots of blue grass.

w

rcag_ils

« Reply #18 on: 22 Feb 2012, 10:16 pm »
 :) That's the only one jazz station I am talking about, most of the time it has background hiss, some evenings they have sports on, nice jazz during the week, WAY too much bluegrass on Saturday morning. I listen to the classical in the middle of the dial sometimes, 98.xx. Classic rock stations sounds horrible here, unbearable.
« Last Edit: 23 Feb 2012, 12:20 am by rcag_ils »

mark funk

« Reply #19 on: 22 Feb 2012, 10:56 pm »
Ya that would be Frank Van Altine or AVA.  :thumb:

And that would be a yes and no. Yes that is a FM-5 and it's built by Jensens Stereo Shop and if it has not been upgraded it's from the early 80s. I don't know if Frank can do "the stuff" to an old one like yours?( Drop by Franks, he can tell a lot of storys of the old Dynaco years) The one I was lucky to pick up is a Super Tuner II built in the early 90s. Boy the back of yours looks really nice for a Dyna! I have a Pas 3 with a new transformer on the back just like that and for how many years now? I'll get that Super Pas III one of these years :lol:.

Ya, hear what I mean! Lot of dam stations. Thats cool, I can always find some thing to listen to that sounds good :thumb:.

:smoke:

« Last Edit: 23 Feb 2012, 10:42 am by mark funk »