Magico Q1 versus ...

SoCalWJS

Re: Magico Q1 versus ...
« Reply #40 on: 20 Feb 2012, 06:20 am »
Perhaps quite foolish of me, but no.  Going to roll the dice.  If they're only 3/4 as good as people say, I'll be happy given that you don't need to take out a second mortgage to buy them.
I think it's a very safe bet. Enjoy!

morganc

« Reply #41 on: 20 Feb 2012, 07:18 am »
The Linkwitz Pluto is certainly unconventional.  No pricing information though.  Even so, he isn't far from where I live -- maybe I should arrange an audition.

The Pluto looks like it needs subs.  Is that right?

I know Siegfried Linkwitz well and I could introduce you two if you want.  Just let me know, he is a very nice and very brilliant man.....he also has rental homes on the Mendocino Coast outfitted with his speakers so that you can get a real world audition and a vacation in one :thumb:

Rclark

« Reply #42 on: 20 Feb 2012, 07:38 am »
I don't understand what is meant by "pride of ownership".  Being proud to have spent more money is an absurd proposition, although I'm sure there are people who feel this way.

It turns out that there are real quantitative and qualitative differences between a 25K Acura RSX and a 50K Porsche Boxster, not just pride of ownership and fit and finish.  The Boxster is a better car in every performance metric save fuel efficiency.

But I think I've decided.  The Vapor Cirrus will be my next speaker.  Time to start saving pennies.

Good luck and please let us know as soon as you get them, I'm very curious about these.

wilsynet

« Reply #43 on: 21 Feb 2012, 06:58 am »
Yup, will do.  Thanks all!

Scottdazzle

« Reply #44 on: 21 Feb 2012, 09:37 pm »
I don't understand what is meant by "pride of ownership".  Being proud to have spent more money is an absurd proposition, although I'm sure there are people who feel this way.

It turns out that there are real quantitative and qualitative differences between a 25K Acura RSX and a 50K Porsche Boxster, not just pride of ownership and fit and finish.  The Boxster is a better car in every performance metric save fuel efficiency.

But I think I've decided.  The Vapor Cirrus will be my next speaker.  Time to start saving pennies.

Wilsynet,

The Vapor Cirrus would be a great choice.  I auditioned them at RMAF and was completely impressed by them in every regard.  They are amazingly neutral, dynamic, fast, balanced, and clear.

Scott

wilsynet

« Reply #45 on: 21 Feb 2012, 09:57 pm »
It's sort of turning into a Cirrus fan club here.  I haven't heard anyone say anything negative about them.  And as it's being compared against the very best speakers out there (at any price), then at a $3700 starting price, it seems hard to go wrong.

I suppose this might be a signal to Ryan that he could increase the price, but pricing at its current level certainly remains one of its strong selling points I think.

Wilson

srb

« Reply #46 on: 21 Feb 2012, 10:04 pm »
It's sort of turning into a Cirrus fan club here.  I haven't heard anyone say anything negative about them.  And at a $3700 starting price, it seems hard to go wrong.

Well you could choose different drivers but I don't think anyone wood argue the quality and performance of these drivers.  The crossover is the next ingredient and one would hope Ryan has come up with a good recipie, and reviews so far would lead one to believe that he did.  The third ingredient is the enclosure, and no one is offering a built speaker with this type of construction at the price point, and it's a main attraction of this speaker.

How many weeks/months until delivery?

Steve

« Last Edit: 21 Feb 2012, 11:40 pm by srb »

wilsynet

« Reply #47 on: 21 Feb 2012, 10:08 pm »
I sent Ryan an email last night asking about how long the lead time is, what bang-for-the-buck options he recommends, etc, but haven't heard back yet.  Will update this thread when I place the order.

lowtech

« Reply #48 on: 21 Feb 2012, 11:00 pm »
Like I implied earlier, there's much more at play than the quality of the drivers... that get stuffed into a box.  Do yourself a favor and spend 10 minutes reading the link from my earlier post in this thread.

Ric Schultz

« Reply #49 on: 22 Feb 2012, 02:40 am »
I don't see the purpose of a small monitor (especially an expensive one) unless you have a recording console or use it on a table with your computer.  As long as you have the midrange and woofer doing the same thing (2-way) you will have intermodulation of the midrange from the woofer (along with compromised bass).  When you have a 3 way you can have separate woofers that use a separate amp and you can easily equalize the bass too.  The Behringer Inuke 3000DSP costs $400 and gives 400 watts a channel and has a built in xover for the bass and 8 bands of equalization.  Have you ever heard bi-amped equalized bass?  Imagine plus and minus 1 db from 25-300hz....talking about clean sound!  No bass nodes at your listening position...none!  "Wow" is what most people say after equalizing the bass in their room.  Also not having the bass run off the same amp gives you no back EMF from the woofers that would also mess up the midrange.  And then there is the cabinet thing.  If you have a 3 way then you can put the midrange on an open baffle thus eliminating the air pressure behind the midrange.  As long as you have the midrange in a box (no matter how good the box is made) there is the air spring that the driver is always fighting.  A monitor on a stand does not take any less room then say 3 of Danny Richies 8 inch servos woofs on an open baffle with the mid and tweeter above.  Same amount of floor space.  I know monitors are cute but for pure performance an open baffle midrange and biamped equalized bass would be mucho better.  I know Danny has such a design in the works and that is what I would go with in a heartbeat over any monitor, no matter what drivers were in it.   I just don't get the monitor thing.   Ok, someone had to say it.  Now back to your regular program. 

Rocket_Ronny

• Your Room Is Everything - Use It Well.
    • ScriptureSongs.com
« Reply #50 on: 22 Feb 2012, 04:01 am »

Hi Ric:

I just don't get the monitor thing

I am listening to some incredible monitors on my computer rig. Even though this is near field I have to say I am having some of my most enjoyable audio experiences while I do my computer work. Not only can I read about audio on great forums such as Audiocircle but I can listen to some of the most amazing audio I have heard, albeit near field.

The nice thing about monitors is flexibility. I had these monitors doing magic in my main rig and now have them on my desktop. Can't do that with a floor stander.

I have also had great audio experiences with my modified Raw OBs that are converted from floor standers, but what I have going now far surpasses that. I am constantly amazed and stunned at what I am hearing. Hard to get work done really, but so enjoyable.

There, someone had to say it.

Rocket_Oh Man this song is stunning_Ronny

Letitroll98

• Facilitator
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #51 on: 22 Feb 2012, 04:19 am »
The nice thing about monitors is flexibility. I had these monitors doing magic in my main rig and now have them on my desktop. Can't do that with a floor stander.

Well, yes and no.  Sorta depends on the size of your office.  I'm adding some small PSB floorstanders to my home office, hopefully this weekend if I get 'round to it.   

So, as usual, it's a matter of size.  There, somebody had to say it.   8)

Rocket_Ronny

• ScriptureSongs.com
« Reply #52 on: 22 Feb 2012, 06:14 am »

:o

Rocket_Ronny

JohnR

« Reply #53 on: 22 Feb 2012, 02:07 pm »
Somewhat unusually, I am inclined to agree with Ric. In the end, though, it is the complete system that matters.

kip_

« Reply #54 on: 22 Feb 2012, 02:30 pm »
I don't see the purpose of a small monitor (especially an expensive one) unless you have a recording console or use it on a table with your computer.  As long as you have the midrange and woofer doing the same thing (2-way) you will have intermodulation of the midrange from the woofer (along with compromised bass).  When you have a 3 way you can have separate woofers that use a separate amp and you can easily equalize the bass too.  The Behringer Inuke 3000DSP costs $400 and gives 400 watts a channel and has a built in xover for the bass and 8 bands of equalization.  Have you ever heard bi-amped equalized bass?  Imagine plus and minus 1 db from 25-300hz....talking about clean sound!  No bass nodes at your listening position...none!  "Wow" is what most people say after equalizing the bass in their room.  Also not having the bass run off the same amp gives you no back EMF from the woofers that would also mess up the midrange.  And then there is the cabinet thing.  If you have a 3 way then you can put the midrange on an open baffle thus eliminating the air pressure behind the midrange.  As long as you have the midrange in a box (no matter how good the box is made) there is the air spring that the driver is always fighting.  A monitor on a stand does not take any less room then say 3 of Danny Richies 8 inch servos woofs on an open baffle with the mid and tweeter above.  Same amount of floor space.  I know monitors are cute but for pure performance an open baffle midrange and biamped equalized bass would be mucho better.  I know Danny has such a design in the works and that is what I would go with in a heartbeat over any monitor, no matter what drivers were in it.   I just don't get the monitor thing.   Ok, someone had to say it.  Now back to your regular program.

The biggest advantage to a small monitor is you aren't paying for all the floorstander cabinetry and can often get equal sound quality. You can then turn around and use that money for better drivers and crossover components. Oftentimes a monitor can image just as well as an open baffle speaker in a lot of rooms, and are far easier to place.

If you want 100% flat frequency response, buy a DEQX or similar and use active driver correction imo. You can do things like +-1db from 50hz-20khz (nearfield).

Rocket_Ronny

• ScriptureSongs.com
« Reply #55 on: 22 Feb 2012, 04:06 pm »

Don't get me wrong. I am a floorstander type of guy. More so a dipole, planer, type of guy. But monitors have their place.

However if I was spending north of 20 grand for speakers you can bet it would not be for monitors. Why, because size does matter. At least in audio that is.

There, someone had to say it again.

Rocket_Ronny

kip_

« Reply #56 on: 22 Feb 2012, 06:09 pm »
Don't get me wrong. I am a floorstander type of guy. More so a dipole, planer, type of guy. But monitors have their place.

However if I was spending north of 20 grand for speakers you can bet it would not be for monitors. Why, because size does matter. At least in audio that is.

There, someone had to say it again.

Rocket_Ronny

Well yeah, but I was talking about things costing less than a used car  :green:. Certainly if you can afford it Floorstanders have better bass and output.

paul canady

« Reply #57 on: 25 Feb 2012, 07:48 am »
I sent Ryan an email last night asking about how long the lead time is, what bang-for-the-buck options he recommends, etc, but haven't heard back yet.  Will update this thread when I place the order.

I was told 12-16 weeks and am at 12 weeks right now. Let me know if you want a follow up.