vr 35 sumiko master setup

rlw3

vr 35 sumiko master setup
« on: 13 Feb 2012, 08:27 pm »
Decided to see if this highly regarded setup system would improve quality. hired sumiko recommended/trained av guy in my area. sound was sluggish,thick,uninvolving. went from back of speaker 44" into the room to 25"- 19"closer to dead zone near front wall-dimished bass overhang encreased speed. went from tweeter/sidewall distance of33" to 28" then back out to 30" as center voice got way to wide. toe in set at convergance 18" behind listening position. biggest change tilted back speakers with  metal washers taking up space caused by partially unscrewed spikes. tested for this by going on hands and knees facing side wall with head in front of center chair. put head to ground come up slowly- maximum mid/treble quality was at seat cushion height. tilt back caused this sweet spot to move up to ear level. getting used to new more distant sound will leave alone for a month to get used to it. room is wood framed 18x13x8 opens to a hallway with 12x10x8 room on other side. bigger difference between great & average cd,s.well worth $95 x 3 hrs

Indiansprings

Re: vr 35 sumiko master setup
« Reply #1 on: 13 Feb 2012, 08:41 pm »
That is a difficult read... :scratch:
I haven't heard about this system, is there a website.

Gopher

« Reply #2 on: 13 Feb 2012, 08:49 pm »
Yes, I had a bit of difficulty reading that as well.

I think you're happy with the Sumiko setup for your VR-35s.  As a VR-33 owner, I'd be interested to hear more.

richidoo

« Reply #3 on: 13 Feb 2012, 09:17 pm »
is there a website.

Search 'Master Set' here on AC.

rlw3

« Reply #4 on: 13 Feb 2012, 11:21 pm »
Best description of the Sumiko set up is to be found in the absolute sound's golden ear club booklet from a year ago. See if you can get a reprint from TAS or Sumiko. That method assumed bass had to be maximized. With the great bass from VSA the low end actually had to be brought down a little

Delacroix

« Reply #5 on: 14 Feb 2012, 12:36 am »
It would be churlish of me to point out that we have a whole thread on speaker placement here in the VSA circle that people should read before adding the same comments again WITHOUT my also pointing directly to a link here on AC to the master method:
http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=64320.0

Enjoy - detailed experiences with this method encouraged here....

JackD201

« Reply #6 on: 14 Feb 2012, 03:39 pm »
Hey, whatever works!  :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

rlw3

« Reply #7 on: 14 Feb 2012, 05:28 pm »
Delacroix.
Please explain how a person who has never heard of the simiko method would know to  look it up and find the link you referred to? You owe me and the rest of the readers an apology

es347

• Facilitator
  • ..I've got my eye on you...which one you say?
« Reply #8 on: 14 Feb 2012, 07:57 pm »
Delacroix.
Please explain how a person who has never heard of the simiko method would know to  look it up and find the link you referred to? You owe me and the rest of the readers an apology

He already said he was churlish but I suppose he could drop and give us twenty as well  :duh:

Delacroix

« Reply #9 on: 15 Feb 2012, 02:39 pm »
Delacroix.

Really? An apology for that lighthearted note? Come on, there is a thread on speaker placement, one can browse the list here and find it. Rather than piecemeal the forum with repeated threads, I just reminded people of this. And I gave you the direct link too which I did not imply you should have been able to find on your own.....sheesh, if I have to start apologizing for this type of reply then I guess you folks need a new moderator.

es347

• Facilitator
  • ..I've got my eye on you...which one you say?
« Reply #10 on: 15 Feb 2012, 06:15 pm »
Shame on ya Patrick!  :roll:

rlw3

« Reply #11 on: 15 Feb 2012, 08:17 pm »
I am sorry if i was thin skinned but i didnt expect the response i received. The most important part of my original post was the ability to improve the mid/treble by tilting the speaker upwards by partially unscrewing the front spikes-using washers to fill that gap. The technique of getting on hand and knees facing the side wall so that one ear is pointed towards the midpoint between the speakers and one ear pointed/next to your listening chair is something anyone can do. You simply put on some music lower your head to the floor and come up slowly and note where the mid/treble  quality seems best. Continue going up and note if the sound quality goes down again. In my case perfectly leveled speakers resulted in a sweet spot at seat cushion level. Tilting the speakers back brought the best mids i have heard at seated ear level. The rest of the master set up was to my ears subtle and hard to duplicate without further experience

Delacroix

« Reply #12 on: 15 Feb 2012, 08:26 pm »
Understood -- I have tried to put a sticky together up top that will pull together the relevant links externally and within the forum -- for some reason I cannot post those internal links into the sticky at the moment as they just won't show up as text, but I'll work on it or send them to you privately if that is the only way.  I really was trying to be light hearted in reminding people that this stuff is here and I accept, it can be hard to find. I was in no way having a go at you personally, just trying to encourage folks to use the threads that exist.  So now, at least there is a sticky post for Speaker Placement.

Peace.

rlw3

« Reply #13 on: 15 Feb 2012, 08:57 pm »
I skimmed the area on speaker placement the Delacroix referenced and simply did not find anything useful that i have not already tried-always to mixed results. I have tried many different placements always to mixed results which i thought was a case of "as good as it gets." When you hire another person you get away from your personal preferences and prejudices. The speaker positioning now is something i never would have tried and the sound balance is lighter and faster than i would choose. i think i will like the results more as i get used to it. i called sumiko in Berkely for the referral and was very pleased with the cost/benefit ( 3hrs at $95 per hour) Note the normal sumiko set up as described by John Hunter maximizes bass. the vr35s in my room needed a little less bass-a different set of problems

musiciseverything

« Reply #14 on: 16 May 2012, 01:12 am »
I can completely understand the OP's post.  I have tried all the methods I can try and the Sumiko method was the only one that worked.  I'm glad he found it.

Gopher

« Reply #15 on: 16 May 2012, 01:16 am »
Sounds like people are having success with this method.  Any gurus on long island wanna help me out in tweaking the setup of my vr33s?  They sound good, but there is nothing optimal about the placement and I generally struggle with setup.