AKSA Scandinavia Launches...

AKSA

« on: 11 May 2004, 07:26 am »
AKSAphiles,

Aspen Amplifiers is pleased to announce that AKSA Scandinavia, an expert presence for AKSA customers in Northern and Western Europe, is now up and running in Copenhagen, Denmark. AKSA Scandinavia will be a center of excellence for anyone interested in the AKSA power amplifiers and the GK-1 preamplifier.  As the product range grows, so too will AKSA Scandinavia thrive, under the careful stewardship of Jens A. Thorsen, whom most will know is a strong presence (and a brilliant linguist!) in this forum.

I've written of the genesis of this development in the NEWS update on the website, here:  http://www.aksaonline.com/news.html  
I invite all on the forum to read this update.    :thumb:

This gives a European face to AKSA, courtesy Jens' generosity and enthusiasm.  I'm delighted, and grateful.   :thankyou:   In time something very similar will happen in the United States, and in SE Asia.   :hyper:

Thank you Jens, this is an important moment in the history of Aspen Amplifiers.  Proud to have you with us.........   :dance:

Cheers,

Hugh

Jens

« Reply #1 on: 11 May 2004, 08:33 am »
Thanks Hugh,

I'm almost blushing here  :oops:

I would like to add that we have a few things in the pipeline for AKSA Scandinavia, the most important one of which will be a press release that will go out the the Scandinavian audio press.

This will be timed with the launch of the AKSA GK-150 preamp, as this will be an extraordinary product presense on the market here in Scandinavia.

AKSA Scandinavia will not have a web page at this time. However, anyone from Scandinavia - or Europe for that matter - interested in the AKSA products may contact me at aksa@email.dk

Also, any AKSAphiles travelling in Europe who happen find themselves in Copenhagen at some time are most welcome to come and have a listen. Just give me a shout!  :wave:

Cheers,

Jens

« Reply #2 on: 11 May 2004, 01:51 pm »
I should mention one other thing about AKSA Scandinavia, which is that for the time being we will act as a demo and support facility only.

This may well change in the future, but is obviously a question of whether Scandinavian/European sales can support the keeping of a stock AKSA products in Copenhagen.

Since the AKSA Scandinavia project is a first for Aspen as far as directly marketing the AKSA products in Europe we will tread cautiously in this matter, so as not to incur any unnecessary costs for Aspen, which needs to concentrate on finishing the products in the pipeline, as Hugh has already mentioned on this forum.

All sales of AKSA products will thus still be handled directly by Aspen in Melbourne. However, AKSA Scandinavia will indeed be able to assist any customers wishing to purchase AKSA products with the paraphernalia of their purchases.

Hugh may have a few other comments on some of this, which he may offer when light comes to his timezone again  :mrgreen:

Cheers,

kyrill

« Reply #3 on: 11 May 2004, 02:34 pm »
Hi Jens

I wish you luck and congratulate you on yr choice. You couldn't aim much higher in the world of audio kits.

Still I do not understand  your services yet. Support and demo?
Demo, is that people can hear an actual AKSA. but where?
And support services? emailing you with technical building problems instead of Hugh while the unit was bought in Melbourne?

In sum, I do not know too much what you mean with "with the paraphernalia of their purchases. "

:)
Kyrill

UPDATE

I did not read Hugh's news update.  should have.. He states very clear what customers may expect.

Jens

« Reply #4 on: 11 May 2004, 02:58 pm »
Hi Kyrill,

Thanks for your kind words.

I think that most of the things you ask about are dealt with in the posts above.

However, just so that no one will be in doubt I will elaborate a bit on what AKSA Scandinavia does.

- Demo AKSA products (currently GK-1R and AKSA 55 N available)
    - Offer limited support to nearby users. In practice this would probably mostly mean users in Scandinavia, where we have the advantage of being able to communicate in local language. Hugh's email service will not be changed.
    - AKSA Scandinavia is located in Copenhagen, as mentioned by Hugh
    - 'Paraphernalia' among other things refers to all the small things to do with purchasing over the Internet. Some people may not have tried this before, and we merely offer our guidance in connection with buying from Hugh. This could also include guidance in choosing the right AKSA model for a given purpose. All of this is free, of course.[/list:u]
    I hope the above is a clear representation of our services.

Cheers,

peranders

« Reply #5 on: 14 May 2004, 08:14 am »
Jens, nice audio gear you have and I like your clean audio corner, typical nordic design!

Jens, why don't you take some close-ups of your amps?

Jens

« Reply #6 on: 14 May 2004, 08:45 am »
Quote from: peranders
Jens, nice audio gear you have and I like your clean audio corner, typical nordic design!

Jens, why don't you take some close-ups of your amps?

Hi Peranders,

Thanks - I like things to be uncluttered  :D

There are a few photos of my GK-1R in image section here - see the thread above. I plan to put in some more when my GK-1R enclosure is completely finished. The guy who is making the front and the volume knob for it is coming around this evening, so it's on the move!

Also, I have purchased the Plus upgrade for my 55 Nirvana, so I expect to take a few photos when I'm putting it in. It will be a little while, though - lots of other things going on!

Cheers,

AKSA

« Reply #7 on: 14 May 2004, 11:19 am »
Thanks Jens,

Nice sentiments indeed;  the marriage is to take place in a couple of hours, apparently, and will be televised Downunder as well....

Per Anders, welcome to our digital party!  Robust debate is encouraged here, you'll find out!

I listened to this speaker today with an AKSA 100N.  I've not heard bass like it for a while, I must admit!  Audax 15", Focal 7K, not sure about the tweeter, think it's a Fostex but not sure.  Wonderful speaker but rather large.

Cheers,

Hugh

Jens

« Reply #8 on: 14 May 2004, 12:27 pm »
Hi Hugh,

I'm fairly sure it's a Focal Tioxid tweeter!

Cheers,

AKY

« Reply #9 on: 14 May 2004, 01:50 pm »
Hi Hugh,

I've finally decided to register.  Is that MJ's speaker?  We had a small POP group meeting there the other night which the token Yank DJ'ed.  All New Orleans music until late - get him to play that version of Sympathy for the Devil sometime.  Unfortunately his turntable wasn't running and I had to scrap about 1/3 of my selections.  I agree with the great bass, but only after he got everything sorted out on that night.    

Andrew

Rocket

Hi
« Reply #10 on: 15 May 2004, 01:52 am »
Hi,

Yes it is a focal 90k tweeter.  Quite nice in my opinion much better than the 120tdx.

Are those commercially made speakers or diy type?

regards

rod

AKSA

« Reply #11 on: 15 May 2004, 04:51 am »
Hi Rod,

These speakers were built to customer order by Lewis Muratori, a superb speaker designer and builder.  He works as a psychiatric nurse;  his attention to detail and musical ear is legendary.  I think he charged somewhere around $US3300 for these speakers;  they are huge, but easily fill a hall with 100 people present on only 28W (my Glass Harmony, some years back in fact).  I will never forget Resphigi's Appian Way played on these speakers;  the Centurion March into Rome was palpable. Efficiency is 94dB/meter/watt.

Lewis has two reference amplifiers.  The first is a custom 35W 845 PP amp built by Lucas Cant of Black Art Audio, with B+ of 1200V.  This amp is monobloc and heavy (and expensive) beyond comprehension.  The other amp is a 55W AKSA Nirvana.  The AKSA is very, very good, with huge slam and impact and marvellous, black silence between notes, but the PP 845 just pips it at the post.  The grandeur of the tube presentation, the warmth, and even the dynamics, are incredible.  But the imaging, although very realistic, is not sharp.

Cheers,

Hugh

AKSA

« Reply #12 on: 15 May 2004, 04:55 am »
Hi Andrew!

You've found our digital lair!  You are very welcome here!

Yes, this is Matt's speaker, saw him yesterday.  He was busy as ever......

Cheers,

Hugh

Rocket

focal components
« Reply #13 on: 15 May 2004, 05:30 am »
Hi Hugh,

Actually the midrange looks like it is the same as what is used in my speaker.

focal kevlar 7k4211db mid/bass driver.  I could be wrong but it looks the same.

it is quite a good driver imo.

regards

rod

kyrill

« Reply #14 on: 15 May 2004, 08:21 am »
Hmm .In so many forums you see Focal speakers mentioned as a primary choice

Are they a more musical choice than for instance the the Audax Aerogel speakers?

Rocket

focal drivers
« Reply #15 on: 15 May 2004, 11:31 am »
Hi Kyrill,

I can't comment on audax drivers as i have never heard them.

I've been a fan of the focal kevlar drivers for a long time.  There was a speaker builder in oz called whatmough speakers and i was very impressed with his speakers.  He used focal tweeters and drivers in his speakers.

Pat at war audio uses focal in most of his designs.

regards

rod

kyrill

« Reply #16 on: 15 May 2004, 12:53 pm »
I am walking at the dark side of my mind occupied with insecurity, questions with glimpses of insanity and madness regarding making a decision what will be the most transparent speakers in setup that cannot be listened to beforehand. So I follow the leads and the comments of trusted others and rely obviously on your judgement and ears: AKSA lovers including  of course Hugh and Ben and others

My intuitive choice for the tweeter is the the Norwegian SEAS Excel tweeter T25CF002. I do not know really why. Because there are so many other top notch tweeters, but with this one my "feelings" click. Isn't that strange?

I don't have it with their woofers or any other woofer, sigh
My ratio says that the Raven ban tweeter must be a better choice:

or the Accuton German ceramic drivers: http://ldsg.snippets.org/vendors/accuton.php3

Maybe the SEAS and an Audax Aerogel midbass woofer?

The Aksa 55 for the Seas and the Aksa 100 for the midbass and mids?
Or Focal? Not Philips and Yamaha. that I know
But, on the same system with the same SPL not stressing the AKSA 55 and comparing it with an AKSA 100 , will they sound equal? (of course similar, but I mean identical in musicality and tranpsarency) Or will one of the two amps sound (a tiny itsy bitsy) better than the other?

Greetz
Kyrill :wink:

Rocket

drivers
« Reply #17 on: 16 May 2004, 12:07 am »
Hi Kyrill,

You really need to have a listen to the different drivers if you have the opportunity.  I could rave all day long about the focal drivers but that is my opinion only.

I have a pair of speakers which utilise raven 1 tweeter and 2 x 7inch 7k4211db focal mid/bass drivers.   the sound is excellent imo.

However i have also heard accuton drivers and they are simply a Lot better than my focals.  The do however cost 2.5 times the price of focal though.

Are you going to design the xover or do you have access to a designer?

regards

rod

kyrill

« Reply #18 on: 16 May 2004, 08:37 am »
Thanks Rocket

I do not have to worry about filter characteristics. Thàt is one of the supreme properties of the Australian DEQX (pre amp)device . It has 3 build in digital filters per channel, with a lineair microphone it measures the characteristics of the speaker and it advises which X-over freq to use if you specify for instance the steepness of the filters (up to 300 db per octafe with no phase distortion). But with very "accessible" graphs and wizzards you can choose a different X-point depending on the other speakers. If that is not enough the preamp corrects   possible freq deviations of the single drivers (making it ruler flat), the phase differences and the time  alignment by adding or substracting delay. (depending on the placements of tweeter and woofer respective to each other. ) Then last it corrects the effect of the  room on the sound. And this all happens in the digital domain and omits all the very complex problems of trying to do this the analogue way.
And you are right, the possibility of listening first is heaven send.

But i have heard already from my AKSA amp so much musicality and transparency compared to my older system, that it warrants the best company i can give it :)

I am glad you have Accuton experience. Although expensive they are very transparent. My possible concern is, do they sound too analytical, at the cost of musicality? Musicality is a must.
The Raven and the Accutons? I shall read Audio Asylum about it.

Rocket

« Reply #19 on: 16 May 2004, 09:52 am »
Hi Kyrill,

I cannot give any opinions about audax drivers as i have never heard them.  They do seem to have a good reputation though.

I have heard the accuton tweeter and thought it was a bit clinical for my tastes, the raven 1 or 2 is better imo.  The accuton midrange or mid/bass driver is imo to die for, it simply is the best driver i have heard.  It is true to the sound and is not coloured.

The focal kevlar's are a little on the warm side, which luckily i like.  the focal utopia's are more neutral imo.

I have heard phl drivers and in fact i am looking at building a new floorstanding speaker utilising a raven 1 or 2 tweeter, phl midrange and 10 inch phl bass driver.

If you have a look at the below link it will show you some of the war audio speakers which have been built.

http://www.warco.com.au/waraudio/kits/kits.html

I am interested in hearing about your preamp?  where did you buy it from in oz?  Is it a digital preamp?  War audio is currently using a digital xover on a pair of speakers using the raven 3 and 2 largish focal utopia bass drivers.

anyway good luck.

regards

rod