speakers for around $100

arthur

speakers for around $100
« on: 10 May 2004, 06:57 pm »
a friend asked me for a recommendation for a pair of speakers that do not cost much more than $100. He will use a 50w Sony receiver and a Sony DVD changer for the rest of the system... i know i know - scary!

i was thinking of recommending the Omage AV21 which were said to be better than anything that can be had for $100, not even in the used market. However, i don't think that these speakers are available anymore.

Is there anything else on the market that is worth paying $100?

THANK YOU!

Carlman

speakers for around $100
« Reply #1 on: 10 May 2004, 07:03 pm »
I bought a pair of Energy ESM-2's for $66 on ebay.  They sound like $300 speakers.  If it has to be new, a pair of Polk's from Circuit City aren't bad. $140

I found these at Best Buy to image very nicely.  $150

-C

Marbles

speakers for around $100
« Reply #2 on: 10 May 2004, 07:10 pm »
In the under $20 used range, the Radio Shack Minimus 7 were very good sounding speakers.  They are ineffecient, and not the last word in bass, but otherwise were pretty decent.

http://search.ebay.com/ws/search/SaleSearch?bs=Search&catref=C6&from=R2&gotopage=&lopg=&sacategory=14990&sapricehi=&sapricelo=&satitle=minimus+7&sbrftog=1&sofocus=bs&sosortorder=2&sosortproperty=2&sotr=2

Seemed to me there was a lot of mention of a very good speaker being auctioned off for around $55 dollars two years ago that was all the rage, forget the name.

When I was looking for some surround speakers I happened to listen to a pair of small Mirage speakers that I thought were pretty decent, they would have been around that range.

Good luck.

JoshK

speakers for around $100
« Reply #3 on: 10 May 2004, 07:58 pm »
The Omage AV21s I have for my bedroom are pretty good.  Actually surprisingly good for the money.   The tangband based speakers that Creative Sound of CA sells are amazingly good if you stuff the box with cotton or fiberglass stuffing.  They don't have a ton of bass but adequate for many applications.  CSS sells the box and all, all you have to do is put it together which is very simple and they are well under $100.

audioslave

speakers for around $100
« Reply #4 on: 10 May 2004, 08:29 pm »
The speakers that carlman mentioned are on sale at jandr.com for $99, I think. They are the Polk R15's and they sound decent for the price. My buddy is using them as rears in his HT setup and they do a pretty good job.

PSP

Parts Express BR-1
« Reply #5 on: 10 May 2004, 08:58 pm »
The BR-1 mini-monitors at Parts Express are $138 (kit) and have recieved a lot of favorable comment on AA.

I built a pair and am using them as surrounds (haven't listened to them critically yet in my main system).  I can attest to their good looks (for $138!!) and that they go together really easily (assuming that you can solder).

Good luck,
Peter

Tonto Yoder

speakers for around $100
« Reply #6 on: 10 May 2004, 09:00 pm »
Quote from: Marbles

Seemed to me there was a lot of mention of a very good speaker being auc ...

Could that be the Michaura 55  (or something similar in name); seems like Ubid  was auctioning off millions of 'em, but I never heard them.
You're also right about the Minimus 7 being a very worthwhile speaker considering the price:  if hung  in the corner where the walls meet the ceiling, bass is reinforced quite a bit.  I put two pair of these up for an aunt of mine, and she was very happy with them.

Marbles

speakers for around $100
« Reply #7 on: 10 May 2004, 09:04 pm »
The  Michaura 55 was exactly the speaker I was thinking of.....Thanks!

rosconey

speakers for around $100
« Reply #8 on: 10 May 2004, 10:02 pm »
i have 2 pair of the m55's, was going to sell one pair -not anymore.
for 40$ and some new caps and resistors these are sweet sounding units.
only metal dome tweeter i ever heard that i liked and doesnt give me headaches.

ive seen these go for 150$ used on agon

WEEZ

speakers for around $100
« Reply #9 on: 11 May 2004, 12:47 am »
The Model 6 by Henry Kloss (available from Cambridge Soundworks) is a very balanced speaker for the money. (hifi.com).

Many laugh; but have been fooled in blind tests- really.

WEEZ

sleepkyng

speakers for around $100
« Reply #10 on: 11 May 2004, 07:40 pm »
I really like my Wharfedale diamond 7.2s

i think they sound great (tho i'm only 19 and don't have a super master setup)
initially i wasn't too impressed
the bass is really deep and after burn in they sounded fantastic. i am really surpised by these guys, tho they did retail for 250, (got them for 85 shippd)

you can get the new Wharfedale Crystal 10 bookshelves for 96 dollars shipped from www.tsto.com

cheers!