Preamp recommendations

Emil

Preamp recommendations
« on: 5 Feb 2012, 06:01 pm »
Hi all
After spending some time looking at the for sale ads here and audiogon, I've come across some preamps in my price range which include an Audio Research LS16, Modwright SWL9, and a new Beacon II by Niteshade. 1.2-1.5K is my limit.
Any other suggestions? Any comments on the ones I've mentioned?

Thanks

opnly bafld

• 83 Klipsch LSIs
Re: Preamp recommendations
« Reply #1 on: 5 Feb 2012, 06:25 pm »

Jon L

« Reply #2 on: 5 Feb 2012, 06:31 pm »
If you can do some soldering/modding, Transcendent Grounded Grid can be made to sound absolutely amazing.  Been using GG with a couple of Sabre DAC's, and it's just crazy good..

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=72652.0

gkinberg

« Reply #3 on: 5 Feb 2012, 07:21 pm »
I am looking for something similar but with a slightly smaller budget. I will be watching this thread with interest.

bummrush

« Reply #4 on: 5 Feb 2012, 07:49 pm »
Coda ,,, might have something and sometimes they have b stock at good prices.

JakeJ

« Reply #5 on: 5 Feb 2012, 08:02 pm »
You might want to consider the VAC preamp that's available on Audiogon right now as well.

Four inputs and a built-in phono stage plus a tape loop and dual main outs for bi-amping or running a sub.  All for $1.2K!

http://app.audiogon.com/listings/464101

sunnydaze

« Reply #6 on: 5 Feb 2012, 08:38 pm »

If you like fluidity, tone and musicality, JuicyMusic Blueberry Xtreme is a nice choice.  I owned this exact model -- nice features w MM and MC phono.  I often regret selling it.

One on the 'gon now for $1300:

http://app.audiogon.com/listings/463554

SteveFord

• Volunteer
  • The poodle bites, the poodle chews it.
« Reply #7 on: 5 Feb 2012, 09:09 pm »
Used Cary SLP-98, Joule Electra LA-100 or Sonic Frontiers SLF-2 would be within your budget (maybe).

MaxCast

« Reply #8 on: 5 Feb 2012, 09:37 pm »
I would check with Blair and see if he is still doing the Beacon tour.  I had it in my system for a couple weeks and really liked it.  Can't beat trying a preamp out in your own system!!

jackman

« Reply #9 on: 5 Feb 2012, 09:43 pm »
If you can go to $1600
http://www.sasaudiolabs.com/pream10a.htm

Lin

You beat me to it but I'll give another  recommendation for the SAS 10A.  It is the best preamp I have ever heard in my system.  I have owned and auditioned several more expensive and highly regarded preamps and the SAS is the best, by far. 

It's even better with the new Genelex Gold Lion tubes I just installed.  If you are in the Chicago area and want to give it a listen, just PM me.  The SAS is not going to satisfy the audio-bling ego driven audio geeks who insist on an two inch thick slab of cnc'd aluminum faceplate, but it is so transparent and musical.   It also has a three way switch that gives you three settings to tailor the sound to your system or preference.  Steve from SAS is a great guy who designs and assembles all of his own stuff.

It's not perfect, no remote, but it just sounds like pure and beautiful music.  Steve sometimes has demo models for sale and he offers a lower cost model, the 7A, which sounds great as well. He has a 30 day trial period if you want to test a preamp in your system. 

Emil

« Reply #10 on: 6 Feb 2012, 01:23 am »
Thanks guys.

Any feedback here on the Eastern Electric Minimax pre?

Neogeo333

« Reply #11 on: 6 Feb 2012, 07:30 am »
Thanks guys.

Any feedback here on the Eastern Electric Minimax pre?

I have there Avant model.  Very nice for only 1300.00 if i remember correctly.  Give Bill a call at
Morning Audio.  Very friendly and informative guy.  This preamp is very sensitive to tubes.  My
current are Telefunkens 12ax7 and i've tried many but always come back to them.   

cheap-Jack

« Reply #12 on: 6 Feb 2012, 08:45 pm »
This preamp is very sensitive to tubes.  My current are Telefunkens 12ax7 and i've tried many but always come back to them.

Bingo!

Same 50-year vintage Telefunken ECC83s (ribbed plate+numbered diamond
embossed at tube base) are used in ALL my phonstages. They sound su..perb! :thumb:

c-J

Neogeo333

« Reply #13 on: 7 Feb 2012, 05:30 am »
Bingo!

Same 50-year vintage Telefunken ECC83s (ribbed plate+numbered diamond
embossed at tube base) are used in ALL my phonstages. They sound su..perb! :thumb:

c-J

Mine are smooth, tried the ribbed but sounded a bit slow and bit condense, maybe it was nearing it end who knows.

sturgus

« Reply #14 on: 7 Feb 2012, 06:31 am »
Another one to think about. Very flexible and very good sounding.
http://www.musicalconcepts.com/MC_Cham.html

catastrofe

• "That's what credit cards are for. . ."
« Reply #15 on: 7 Feb 2012, 10:50 am »
I highly recommend the SAS 11A.  If you go that direction, please drop me a PM before you purchase....I have one that's not being used right now.

mhconley

« Reply #16 on: 7 Feb 2012, 01:59 pm »
I've been researching tube preamps myself for quite some time...  I would consider these:

DOGE 8: http://www.pacificvalve.us/Doge8.html

YS Audio A2: http://www.ys-audio.com/a2.htm

Martin

Emil

« Reply #17 on: 7 Feb 2012, 02:23 pm »
Thanks everyone. Im really confused now :icon_lol:

Im leaning toward either SAS or EA Minimax. If Im reading the reviews correctly, the Minimax has a more "tubey" sound while the SAS has transparency but not "solidstatey" if thats a word :D

rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio Consulting -
« Reply #18 on: 7 Feb 2012, 03:35 pm »
   The amp as well as the sorurce play an important roll. Synergy of the Pre and Amp is key. Consider input impedance of Amp and output impedance of Preamp. Gain of preamp as well if CDP has a high voltage output.
    I believe you have a Mcormack DNA 225 , driving Maggie 3.6? Lots of quality preamps out there. With the DNA a used CJ PV 10A, VAC, Juicy music or another full sounding Pre would fit nicely. For new the EE pre is good but dry in character. The Nightshade has balls to wall dynamics and great bass.
   Have fun looking.

charles

ptmconsulting

« Reply #19 on: 7 Feb 2012, 03:40 pm »
Emil, I know you plan on using this with your new McCormack DNA225 amp which has an input impedance of 100 kOhms, which should be fine for matching with most tube preamps out there. The general guideline is the preamp should have an output impedance 1/10 or less of the amp's load (input impedance).