Photos from the metal shop

Niteshade

• Tubes: Audio's glow plug. Get turbocharged!
    • Niteshade Audio
Photos from the metal shop
« on: 4 Feb 2012, 01:44 pm »

Clearly old school! Everything is hand made. Not a single computer operated machine in the place!

Parts of our amplifiers made in the USA:
1) Enclosures
2) Transformers
3) Wood trim upgrades
4) All internal work

There are a few enclosures shown. The first photo shows a chassis for a 100 watt mono to be completed soon. The second photo displays the chassis for our new custom 240 watt DC filament supply.

dangerbird

Re: Photos from the metal shop
« Reply #1 on: 4 Feb 2012, 02:16 pm »
I hope that is one of mine  :D

Niteshade

• Niteshade Audio
« Reply #2 on: 4 Feb 2012, 02:43 pm »
Yes it is!

I hope that is one of mine  :D

dangerbird

« Reply #3 on: 4 Feb 2012, 02:51 pm »
Woo Hoo-- :thumb:

gcos

« Reply #4 on: 5 Feb 2012, 09:34 am »
Blair,
I hope there is a power on led on the ps. I would like to be sure at all times that the filaments are being heated ! I ask because I do not see an opening in the chassis shown.

Guy 13

« Reply #5 on: 5 Feb 2012, 01:02 pm »
Hi Blair and all Audio Circle members.
Slowly, but shurely you are getting there.
You are getting closer to what I am looking for.
The only thing still missing is the front silk screen printing.
Keep up the good work.
Guy 13.
Note:
Can the DC filament option/up-grade be built in the main chassis?

Niteshade

• Niteshade Audio
« Reply #6 on: 5 Feb 2012, 01:41 pm »
There is no silk screening yet- but I can have engraved plates made up, such as with the Beacon Four. They're actually much better than print on paint.

LED "On" indicator: Hmmm. Wasn't planning on it actually. The filaments are your 'pilot' light. I will look into it though. Some of these units will be placed where they are not visible- so this never came to mind.

Guy 13

« Reply #7 on: 6 Feb 2012, 06:52 am »
There is no silk screening yet- but I can have engraved plates made up, such as with the Beacon Four. They're actually much better than print on paint.

LED "On" indicator: Hmmm. Wasn't planning on it actually. The filaments are your 'pilot' light. I will look into it though. Some of these units will be placed where they are not visible- so this never came to mind.
Hi Blair and all Audio Circle members.

I agree with you about the engraved plates being more durable, however, I still think silk screen printing looks better, to me anyway.

I am still looking for a way to make the front face of your amplifier look more to my liking.

I have an idea, but I must wait until I am back in Canada to get someone to do it for me professionnally.

The small LED ON indicator is something I would like to have on my amplifiers.

Guy 13

gcos

« Reply #8 on: 6 Feb 2012, 10:57 am »
[quote author=Niteshade link=topic=

[/quote]

In your instructions you mention that we should plug in the DC filament supply first before plugging in the main plug. I am assuming that if the main is plugged in and there is no supply to the filament, there can be damage done. The on light makes it easy to verify quickly that the filament is powered and that the plug wasn't accidentally displaced or shifted.

Niteshade

• Niteshade Audio
« Reply #9 on: 7 Feb 2012, 02:24 am »
The power supply does have to be plugged into the amp before it's turned on. If the power supply is turned on without it being plugged into the amp, there will not be any problems. It just can't be turned on while it's being plugged into the amp.

I have to make yours and another one 'yesterday'- but will see what I can do.

gcos

« Reply #10 on: 7 Feb 2012, 02:29 pm »
If there is no risk to the amp, then I would not fuss over the 'on' light.

Niteshade

• Niteshade Audio
« Reply #11 on: 8 Feb 2012, 12:41 pm »
The only thing you have to remember is to have the power supply off while plugging/unplugging the power supply. The filaments will glow once the amp's main power is turned on. There will be an on/off switch on the power supply.

Niteshade

• Niteshade Audio
« Reply #12 on: 8 Feb 2012, 09:41 pm »
The 240w power supply is a new product for 2012. I'll have a photo of one tomorrow if I remember to bring the camera. Assembling the first one was a bit of a challenge, but it came out good. I decided to put a power-on LED in it today since these supplies need a little color.  :wink:

gooberdude

« Reply #13 on: 8 Feb 2012, 10:50 pm »
Blair,

Have you made a Beacon preamp with the new chassis?  If not, i'll be a guinea pig   :wink:

Niteshade

• Niteshade Audio
« Reply #14 on: 8 Feb 2012, 11:16 pm »
I have not made a preamp on these new heavy models yet because there are several of the others in stock.

In your case- I will make an exception and have them whip one up. They're overbuilt for preamps- but that will lend itself to great anti-resonance properties.

gooberdude

« Reply #15 on: 9 Feb 2012, 12:08 am »
Excellent, thank you    :thumb: