my EARLY XR45 HT mod impressions...

Red Dragon Audio

• Industry Participant
    • http://www.reddragonaudio.com
my EARLY XR45 HT mod impressions...
« Reply #20 on: 15 May 2004, 07:54 pm »
Quote from: azryan
If it's not digital amps then it couldn't say what chips aren't in it right? I maybe be wrong but I'm betting it's not a digital amp.

As for room correction... not really the place to talk about it here I guess but I'm not big on the idea at all.

Peter T. is sure against it! hehe

IMO you can't distort your speakers to compensate for a room echo effect.
To a microphone and test tones it might look like the sum of the two =fixed/flatter but one's the original speaker wave and one's an echo.

I kn ...

I don't know if it is digital or not but it seems like it could be since it is so compact.  I haven't seen one though and the manual isn't downloadable online (Pioneer friggin charges $6 for a manual...why not just offer it in PDF?!!)  So I can't say one way or the other.

You are probably right that the Pioneer doesn't have a really advanced 'room correction' device and probably won't have many user adjustable controls either (if any other than hit 'start correction').  And it might mess up the sound more than it helps.

On another note:
Ryan are those your actual speakers in your picture?  If they are, then they could very easily benefit from room correction because of their line array stature.  You won't have any floor or ceiling bounce to worry about so all you are correcting would be some peaks and dips in the frequency response of your room (maybe some sidewall reflections but that is what a few well placed diffusers and absorptive panels are for).

However just treating your room won't correct everything.  If you take a mic and measure the response at your listening position, I bet you’d find more peaks and dips then you thought were there.  I have read a number of reports on Behringer EQ's and chatted with fellows who own them; they all swear by them because it unmasks their music.

If you simply treat your room you might make it less "bright or have less echo or boomy" but you can only fix so much with a room that wasn't designed for music reproduction from the ground up.  

So let's say you measure your room and you find some peaks and dips in the low end response.  Those you will encounter and you can alleviate them pretty easily with an EQ.
So the bass response has been smoothed out and taken care of.  That alone will do some good things for the lower midrange throughout the upper mids.

But let's go on above that...into the midrange...you are very likely to find out your room does dastardly things up there too. If you have but a few peaks and dips (you wont' have all peaks or all dips but combinations of them at different frequencies) then you are going to have problems with the purity of music.  

Hypothetically speaking, what if you had a 6-12dB PEAKS at 600Hz, 900Hz, 2000Hz and 3000Hz and at the same time 6-12dB DIPS 300Hz, 500Hz, 1500Hz and 4000Hz the music is going to sound very different then how it was intended.  This is because between those DIPS and PEAKS you have between 12dB and 24dB variances which is quite substantial and will mask the music (so the music is just very unbalanced/distorted/tilted etc).  

Now of course you are only EQ'ing for one listening spot: YOURS.  I personally don’t care if the seat over on the side wall or the loveseat on the other side doesn’t come out ahead in terms of sound reproduction.  I don’t sit there.  I sit in the sweet spot.  That aside, everyone else who comes over to an audiophile’s house just doesn't care this much about the technical side of music reproduction but they do hear the differences.  

Most of the time I don't even point things out to my "non-audiophile" friends but they are always shocked how much better my system sounds.  This is for a few simple but good reasons, much better speakers, better speaker placement, and some nicely placed pieces of furniture/accessories that also double as room treatments.  I do think that a nice Behringer DEQ2496 in the chain could help me get more out of my music as I am sure there are still anomalies which need be corrected or at least smoothed out a bit; say from 12-24dB variances in frequency response to 3-6dB variances in PEAKS and DIPS.

Anyway, when I get the DEQ2496, I will let you know if it was a worthy purchase or not.  I just think the audiophile community has shunned room correction for far too long when we all know that the room is probably the biggest culprit when it comes to getting good sound reproduction in our homes.  And if you can’t build a room from the ground up, there is only so much treating and padding you can do to fix it.  Well I guess I shouldn’t be so quick to say that because I know people who do treat their rooms to a very great length and get it pretty darn close to flat/correct.  These guys for one seem to have it nailed pretty well.

Okay tear me apart guys.  I seem to be very long winded when I bet someone else out there with a better mastery of the language could have said what I wrote in one paragraph.  *sigh*