Mayweather & Pacquiao Set to Fight

dB Cooper

Mayweather & Pacquiao Set to Fight
« on: 2 Feb 2012, 02:01 am »
Mayweather & Pacquiao are set to fight...

OTHER FIGHTERS.

(Made you look!)

Mayweather is fighting Miguel Cotto on May 5 and Pacquiao is fighting Timothy Bradley on June something. After Floyd ducking Manny for two years, Manny now appears to be ducking Floyd. Floyd is calling Pacquiao "Miss Pac-Man" (which IS kind of funny actually.)

Phooey on everybody involved.

Frankly I hope Cotto ruins the fight by scoring a miracle KO. The fight being at 154 is in his favor but can't think of much else that is. Floyd is too fast. Don't know enough about Bradley to have a pick. One of them needs to lose to put us out of our misery. If they both lose the fight is still on, only for a lot less money. Screw it, I don't wanna see it anymore; it shoulda happened two years ago.

Rclark

Re: Mayweather & Pacquiao Set to Fight
« Reply #1 on: 2 Feb 2012, 02:07 am »
Damn it.

dB Cooper

« Reply #2 on: 2 Feb 2012, 03:47 am »
How do we spread the word NOT TO BUY ANY OF THEIR FIGHTS until they fight each other???? BOYCOTT any PPV from either Manny or Money that isn't Manny vs. Money!

Rclark

« Reply #3 on: 2 Feb 2012, 03:52 am »
I'll throw it up on my Facebook..... Everyone wants to see this fight happen. Was just the other day talking about this with the dudes.

Maybe they will finally agree to it after this.

I don't think Cotto will beat Mayweather.

dB Cooper

« Reply #4 on: 2 Feb 2012, 04:04 am »
I'll throw it up on my Facebook..... Everyone wants to see this fight happen. Was just the other day talking about this with the dudes.

Maybe they will finally agree to it after this.

I don't think Cotto will beat Mayweather.

I don't either. Nothing against Cotto. Like I said, Floyd is too fast.
Facebook is a good place to spread the word. I'll do the same.

jimdgoulding

« Reply #5 on: 2 Feb 2012, 04:05 am »
Damn it.
Those are not bad fights.  Good for their respective opponents and, it could be said, good for the sport.  Pac vs. May is down the road as long as the idea remains a superfight.  I'm to the point of not caring.  I'll take two competitive fights any day, but I don't think Cotto vs. Mayweather will be much of one.  Bradley?  Well, I DO like that fight better. 

cujobob

« Reply #6 on: 2 Feb 2012, 04:11 am »
In the good ol' days, men used to fight bears with their bare hands. Now they got gloves on these kids. It's a shame.

dB Cooper

« Reply #7 on: 2 Feb 2012, 04:24 am »
There are a pretty good number of "not bad" fights to be had. For boxing to thrive again, it has to offer the public something better than "not bad". Pacquiao-Mayweather could be that fight. Like jimdgoulding, I don't see Mayweather-Cotto as likely to be particularly competitive, and I don't see  Pacquiao-Bradley as likely to be particularly interesting. Bradley hasn't captured the public because he is a talented but not especially crowd pleasing fighter. Even optimistically, neither is likely to be anywhere near what "the Big One" could be as a fight, and will not attract much beyond diehard boxing fans.. If anybody wants to help stir the pot, I created a public facebook event titled "Boycott Mayweather and Pacquiao". Join if you like.

jimdgoulding

« Reply #8 on: 2 Feb 2012, 01:12 pm »
It's just a money thing.  After the big fight, the paydays for the loser are going to get smaller.  So, get as much in the bank as you can beforehand and be sure to have a rematch clause for the big fight.  That's what they are doing along with their promoters and they will.     

dB Cooper

« Reply #9 on: 2 Feb 2012, 03:04 pm »
I guess I don't understand the boxing business, although what you say makes sense if they are both planning on it being a retirement fight. But whoever loses will want a rematch. This may be a way for Floyd to apply pressure; Manny struggled with Marquez and Floyd dominated him. If he also beats Cotto more decisively than Pacquiao did, that makes it even less likely that The Big One will happen, as Team Pacquiao seemed to be the one hollering the loudest for the fight- until Manny struggled against a crisp counterpuncher he was supposed to dominate.

I think a case can be made that the fight is already not worth what it could have made a couple years ago; both guys seem to have lost a step. That's the worst part.

django11

• Canuckistani
« Reply #10 on: 3 Feb 2012, 04:13 am »
I don't give Cotto much of a chance either but someone brought up that he did very well against Zab Judah a few years ago and Judah is fast.  Cotto's boxing has improved too.  Still I won't buy the fight.

I agree that it kind of looks like Pacquiao is ducking Mayweather.  On the other hand, we got big egos here and Floyd was insisting on his date and he wouldn't agree to a 50/50 split.  Insisting on getting the bigger share of the pot was sure to not go over well with Pacquiao and pretty well meant he didn't really want to make the fight either...  Surprising because both guys will make incredible amounts of money...

jimdgoulding

« Reply #11 on: 3 Feb 2012, 06:03 am »
How much of all this is the promoters and not the fighters.  Think it could 100%?  Mayweather is chomping at the bit now and before he begins a jail sentence and I think Mayweather is more in charge of himself and what he wants than Manny is.  Manny trusts Arum's guidance, I think, and besides, he has whole nuther career ahead of him if he wants.  One which doesn't involve Arum.  Arum is gonna contol this as long as he can.  It's probably his largest goose egg.  An interim fight is more money in HIS pocket.

django11

• Canuckistani
« Reply #12 on: 3 Feb 2012, 01:17 pm »
I agree about that .  There is a whole bunch of people involved all probably pulling the blanket to their side of the bed.  The loser of the fight is going to be worth a lot less ( excluding a classic fight where both fighter's worth goes up) so it is probably a cash out fight and so everyone is encouraged to milk the fighters for all they are worth by making other fights first.

I still think that Floyd saying publicly that he wouldn't give Manny 50% meant he didn't want to make the fight.  Floyd always seems to add a condition that he knows Manny will not accept.

I have to give Floyd some credit for taking the Cotto fight at 154 instead of forcing Cotto to drain himself to make 147.

dB Cooper

« Reply #13 on: 3 Feb 2012, 02:41 pm »
It's hard to go up, get used to the weight, and come back down. That might help Pacquiao in a Mayweather fight.

In this one, the 154# weight helps Cotto. Floyd will probably be 150-151 for Cotto unless he puts silver dollars in his pockets like Leonard did when he weighed in for the Hagler fight.

jimd, one thing that is certain is that Mayweather's time will occur before any Manny fight- it's gotta happen by June.

dB Cooper

« Reply #14 on: 3 Feb 2012, 02:44 pm »
Floyd always seems to add a condition that he knows Manny will not accept.
Exactly. There you have it.

jackman

« Reply #15 on: 3 Feb 2012, 04:45 pm »
I give Floyd no credit for taking the Cotto fight at any weight.  Cotto is a slow, hand picked easy payday for Pretty Boy and I don't expect this fight to go the distance unless Floyd gets lazy or Cotto fights cautiously or defensively. Either way, I don't see this as a competitive or entertaining fight.

Floyd continues to avoid Manny. I'm not sure why because he (Floyd) is a skilled fighter and if he fights smart, could win without taking punishment.  Plus the pacman-mayweather fight would be the biggest payday in boxing. 

Floyd can call Manny all the names he wants. Manny has too much class to retaliate and will save his "responses" for the squared circle as they say.  I just hope that Floyd is fit to face Manny after he gets out of prison.  Hopefully, all of the ass rapings he is sure to receive in prison wont dampen Pretty Boy's fighting skills.  Maybe he will think twice the next time he decides to beat up a woman.

jimdgoulding

« Reply #16 on: 3 Feb 2012, 05:05 pm »
Man-o-Jack, I have to disagree somewhat if you're serious.  I don't think Floyd will be anybody's bitch in jail.  Convicts want to see the Pacman fight, too.  Heck, he'll more likely have an entourage while he's there.

dB Cooper

« Reply #17 on: 3 Feb 2012, 10:01 pm »
Floyd's father and uncle have both done time (fruit doesn't fall far from the tree I guess) so they should be able to guide him through. The other jailbirds used to call Tyson "Champ" in a derisive way. That's probably Floyd's biggest worry. I don't think Floyd has to worry too much about dropping his soap.

jackman

« Reply #18 on: 3 Feb 2012, 10:07 pm »
Tyson was a heavyweight with mad street cred when he did his stint.  Pretty Boy is a cocky, flashy little punk who was on dancing with the stars!  He'll be doing the dance with no pants with his cellmate Bubba. That's my prediction!  At least Floyd is Pretty!

django11

• Canuckistani
« Reply #19 on: 3 Feb 2012, 11:14 pm »
I give Floyd no credit for taking the Cotto fight at any weight.  Cotto is a slow, hand picked easy payday for Pretty Boy and I don't expect this fight to go the distance unless Floyd gets lazy or Cotto fights cautiously or defensively. Either way, I don't see this as a competitive or entertaining fight.

You may be right but I am a bit intrigued.  Some fairly slow guys, like JC Chavez, did well for themselves.  Cotto has improved and if, I know big if, Floyd can't hurt Cotto then maybe it could get interesting.  Castillo wasn't very fast and many thought he beat Floyd.  "Styles make fights"...

Still,  Floyd never picks anyone who gives him much of a challenge.  I won't pay to see it...