Make your own (like) Richard Gray Power Station

john4618

« Reply #40 on: 12 Aug 2004, 08:18 pm »
The www.audiosold.com site does not have the link on it to build the Richard Gray AC power conditioner for $40.00 ???

Can someone post the plans or pm me with how to make it, thanks.  

It sounds like what you do is attach the wires from the HAMMOND 193L FILTER CHOKE to the leads of a power cord and then plug it into the wall ???

PhilNYC

« Reply #41 on: 12 Aug 2004, 08:30 pm »
Quote from: john4618
The www.audiosold.com site does not have the link on it to build the Richard Gray AC power conditioner for $40.00 ???

Can someone post the plans or pm me with how to make it, thanks.  

It sounds like what you do is attach the wires from the HAMMOND 193L FILTER CHOKE to the leads of a power cord and then plug it into the wall ???

Well, the original post overstated what this thing does.  A Richard Gray AC power conditioner does a lot of things; it cleans power, protects against surges, provides AC distribution to multiple outlets, etc.  What this Choke does is conceptually the same as what Richard Gray does regarding power cleaning...by putting an inductor (or "choke") in parallel to your AC, it will act as a filter for that AC line.  There's no claim that the materials used in the choke are the same as the Richard Gray, nor is it proven to be as effective.  And for $40, you don't get any of the many other features that the Richard Gray provides.

That said, yes, all you do is put a plug on the Filter Choke and plug it into an adjacent outlet to your gear.

ctviggen

« Reply #42 on: 12 Aug 2004, 09:42 pm »
I thought it also acted to reserve power, so that the amp could draw the power through the inductor.  While I personally have nothing against Richard Grey, I do think that most electronic gear is vastly overpriced as compared to what it really should cost.  So, I wouldn't doubt that this device performs a similar (perhaps not as good) function for much less money.

eico1

« Reply #43 on: 12 Aug 2004, 10:40 pm »
I did't notice any mention of noise reduction in the literature, just surge protection (MOV?) and the "electronic flywheel" which the theory sounds like bunk.

steve

pureAC

« Reply #44 on: 2 Apr 2006, 10:16 am »
Hi all,

I am new to the forum and DIY, so bear with me.

I was thinking about this idea of plugging in a large transformer into the power line.

After reading the posts, I have a few questions:
- Does the transformer need to be a E type? can it be a toroidal?
- I have found some isolation transformers. info is below and was wondering what you think about them? Can I just plug this in the wall and be done with it??

CM33002  260-4294  AUS$ 263.00 2kva
Double wound with safety earth screen between windings
110V secondaries centre tapped to earth
All insulated yellow splashproof GRP enclosure
Resettable thermal cut out trip in primary circuit
Thermal safety overload fuse embedded into primary winding
Approx. 2 metres mains cable fitted with 13A plug (plug not fitted CM40002)
Conforms to EN60 742 BS3535

Just out of interest, most equipment these days have large transformers. If you had 10 of these in your system, wouldn't it already receiving the same effectas one large inductor??

Pureac

morrowaudio

• http://www.audiosold.com
Re: Make your own (like) Richard Gray Power Station
« Reply #45 on: 2 Apr 2006, 06:42 pm »
Quote from: morrowaudio
Build your own Richard Gray AC power conditioner for $40.00. Free information and parts links. This is free information...we do not make any money on this. See www.audiosold.com  Look for the link at the top of the page. Enjoy!

www.audiosold.com

The Richard Gray company contacted us and said that we had to remove the instructions from our website. It is a typical 6 Henry choke across the power line. That is all it is! Get it from Hammond electronics.

Mike

morrowaudio

« Reply #46 on: 2 Apr 2006, 06:45 pm »
Quote from: pureAC
Hi all,

I am new to the forum and DIY, so bear with me.

I was thinking about this idea of plugging in a large transformer into the power line.

After reading the posts, I have a few questions:
- Does the transformer need to be a E type? can it be a toroidal?
- I have found some isolation transformers. info is below and was wondering what you think about them? Can I just plug this in the wall and be done with it??

CM33002  260-4294  AUS$ 263.00 2kva
Double wound with safety earth screen between ...

Just buy a $20 to $40 Hammond choke, put a power plug on it and plug it in near your equipment, hopefully in the same outlet that the equipment is plugged into. It must be 6 Henries or larger....

morrowaudio

« Reply #47 on: 2 Apr 2006, 06:49 pm »
Quote from: PhilNYC
Well, the original post overstated what this thing does.  A Richard Gray AC power conditioner does a lot of things; it cleans power, protects against surges, provides AC distribution to multiple outlets, etc.  What this Choke does is conceptually the same as what Richard Gray does regarding power cleaning...by putting an inductor (or "choke") in parallel to your AC, it will act as a filter for that AC line.  There's no claim that the materials used in the choke are the same as the Richard Gray, nor is it pr ...

I owned first the Richard Gray and then tried the Hammond choke...same result in sound...no diffrence between them. Surge protection in the RG is a simple varistor, which I would leave out anyway. A Hospital grade outlet from Home Depot can be made into your multiple outlet....

http://www.morrowaudio.com

pureAC

« Reply #48 on: 2 Apr 2006, 10:49 pm »
Hi all,

The problem is that I live in australia, and sourcing some the transformers you said is a bit hard.

How would I know that it is 6 henries or larger, cannot see that sort of specs on the trannies I have seen.

That's why I was thinking I'll just plug in a large isolation transformer and be done with it. Would it do the same thing? it is a 2kva one!

pureac

pureAC

« Reply #49 on: 4 Apr 2006, 05:47 am »
HI all,

I have found a aussie company that I may be able to source my transformers from: www.tortech.com.au They have a dual wound shielded isolation transformer. Would two of these do the job??

pureac

pureAC

« Reply #50 on: 5 Apr 2006, 06:19 am »
Hi all,

Ok finally found a supplier of the hammond chokes in Aus www.evatco.com.au  I have sent them an email and awaiting a responce. but....

Which choke to use.

I have read that for 240v we should use 10 henry+. I have some options:
1. 193J 10H, 200ma - au$84
2. 193M 10H, 300ma - au$120
3. 193Q 10H, 500ma - au$171

I was thinking to go for No.3 (lowest resistance), but some suggestions would be appreciated.

pureac.

pureAC

« Reply #51 on: 5 Apr 2006, 07:15 am »
Hi all,

Ok for another stupid question...

Do we need to fuse the lines into the choke?? for safety??

pureac

pureAC

« Reply #52 on: 11 Apr 2006, 09:14 am »
Wazzup,

Finally got around to ordering the 193Q.
21 Lb of pretty expensive steel  :?

Will report back on the findings.

pureac

pureAC

« Reply #53 on: 18 Apr 2006, 08:36 am »
Hey Hey,

Finally received the choke :D

From initial tests the sound has more body, bass has filled in also. High end siblance has disappeared.

Will get back to you all with further news

pureac

Levi

« Reply #54 on: 18 Apr 2006, 01:50 pm »
I have 2 Richard Gray 400s on a piggy.  It's the real thing.  No waiting.

Enjoy.
Quote from: pureAC
Hey Hey,

Finally received the choke :D

From initial tests the sound has more body, bass has filled in also. High end siblance has disappeared.

Will get back to you all with further news

pureac

budyog

• I don't listen to audio, I listen to music.
« Reply #55 on: 18 Apr 2006, 08:25 pm »
I have 2 also. What a wonderful difference they have made. I would not run my system without them. Someday I will get a 3rd and hook them up like Mr. Gray recommends. I got mine from Audiogone.

pureAC

« Reply #56 on: 20 Apr 2006, 04:56 am »
Dang!!!

If someone has dirty power these power chokes are a must!! What a difference they make. I will order another one soon  :D

pureace

fajimr

« Reply #57 on: 20 Apr 2006, 02:50 pm »
Pure AC

what was your final construction layout like?  I'd be interested to know how it all came together.

Levi

« Reply #58 on: 20 Apr 2006, 03:01 pm »
PureAC,

How much was the total cost?

thanks.

pureAC

« Reply #59 on: 21 Apr 2006, 12:57 am »
Hi all,

To answer your questions:

The construction has not yet started, the choke is simply connected to the positive and negative power prongs of a AC plug. The I plug it into the wall. It's sitting naked on the floor at the moment. What I will be doing is getting a enclosure and adding an IEC connector for a detachable power cord.

Nobody on the forum has stated that we need to install a fuse. I don't currently have one (I'm assuming a bad idea). Also assuming that the Uk people already have a fuse in their AC plug. What amperage is the fuse (10A or 15A??). Also won' the AC fuse raise the resistance on the choke (a bad idea)

The total cost was AU$171 for the 193Q 10H 500Ma (largest one they had, would have bought a bigger one if they had it). With delivery it came to about AU$190

pureac