Make your own (like) Richard Gray Power Station

KKM

« Reply #20 on: 3 Jun 2004, 10:28 pm »
Thanks Phil, let us know what your impressions are after the project.

WerTicus

« Reply #21 on: 4 Jun 2004, 09:57 am »
awesome someone is going to try it... i cant find a choke that large anywhere....

audiosold

Where to get the choke....
« Reply #22 on: 4 Jun 2004, 01:00 pm »
You can find information on where to get the choke on our site. Click on "DIY Projects" and then the "DIY Richard Gray" link. There is info there on where to get the choke.

www.audiosold.com

audiosold

PS
« Reply #23 on: 4 Jun 2004, 01:03 pm »
Bookmark our site. www.audiosold.com
We are always adding great DIY projects. Also...show us your system by uploading photos in our "Photo Showcase".

www.audiosold.com

WerTicus

« Reply #24 on: 5 Jun 2004, 02:50 am »
yeah thats where you get a 110volt choke i needs 240volts baby!

Red Dragon Audio

• Industry Participant
    • http://www.reddragonaudio.com
« Reply #25 on: 5 Jun 2004, 05:53 am »
Do you need more than one of these to be effective?

Red Dragon Audio

• Industry Participant
    • http://www.reddragonaudio.com
« Reply #26 on: 5 Jun 2004, 06:13 am »
Quote from: heavystarch
Do you need more than one of these to be effective?

Also it doesn't look like anyone answered the question as to whether or not getting a unit with more "henries" is better...is that important?  I'm not an electrical engineer so I just don't know but I took a couple of EET classes in college for fun...so a techy explanation won't be totally lost on me.

Would it be helpful to place one of these chokes near your computer, microwave, fridge and other noisy appliances?  Would it help smooth the power on the lines in the home? :?:

audiosold

Questions answered
« Reply #27 on: 6 Jun 2004, 04:53 am »
More Henrys better? You can try 10 Henrys. I settled on 6 or so since that is what Richard Gray arrived at. It is all experimental, depending on your equipment, noise on the line, etc.

As far as a 240V unit for our down under friend...Try a 10 henry unit and see what you think.

# of units: I have 3 in my system and could probably use one more. There will be a point as you add them when you notice that the sound gets dull and looses life. Unplug them one at a time until you reach a happy medium.

You could try some on your refrigerator, etc but I feel that the effect would be best closer to your equipment, with the garbage on the line "choked" at that point. Otherwise the line in the wall from the fridge to your equipment will pick it up again.

www.audiosold.com

WerTicus

« Reply #28 on: 6 Jun 2004, 11:54 am »
10 henries no worries :)
thanks!

PhilNYC

« Reply #29 on: 18 Jun 2004, 03:24 pm »
FYI - I finally put a plug on this thing and plugged it in to an extra outlet on my power conditioner (Audience adeptResponse).  My understanding is that these things take a little bit of time to charge up, which would explain my not noticing any change in the sound...!  But I am hosting the NY Audio Rave tomorrow, and will pull it out sometime during the gathering and see if a room full of audiophiles can notice a change...

PhilNYC

« Reply #30 on: 18 Jun 2004, 03:29 pm »
Btw - on a side (humorous) note, about 6 hours after I first plugged it in, a transformer down the street blew up, knocking out power for my whole neighborhood.  I thought for sure it was because of this thing...   :o

WerTicus

« Reply #31 on: 18 Jun 2004, 03:32 pm »
hahah very amusing
i would suggest you plug it in next to the wall instead of plugging it in after filtration as i believe that is how these things are supposed to work.

PhilNYC

« Reply #32 on: 18 Jun 2004, 03:50 pm »
Quote from: WerTicus
hahah very amusing
i would suggest you plug it in next to the wall instead of plugging it in after filtration as i believe that is how these things are supposed to work.

Unfortunately, I don't have a spare outlet on that wall (in that circuit).  But it should work plugged into the adeptResponse...the outlets in this conditioner are wired in a star-pattern (not in serial), so the choke is in parallel in the circuit (according to Richard Gray's website, this is what is important).

I've used a few other somewhat similar power conditioners (lower-priced units like the Blue Circle BC86 Noise Hound, Audioprism Quietlines, Monster Subwoofer filter, etc), and I do notice an affect with these...in my experience, the effect is usually much greater on video, so at some point I will move it to an outlet near my TV and see what happens...

On a side note, I recently tried out the Enacom Noise Filter (from Harmonix)...plugged it into my conditioner, and the effect was significant...

kana813

« Reply #33 on: 20 Jun 2004, 07:32 am »
Phil- Am I reading your post correctly, that a  Enacom Noise Filter improved the performance of  the new Audience adeptResponse?

PhilNYC

« Reply #34 on: 20 Jun 2004, 11:11 am »
Quote from: kana813
Phil- Am I reading your post correctly, that a  Enacom Noise Filter improved the performance of  the new Audience adeptResponse?

Yep, you are reading correctly.  The effect wasn't "dramatic", but it was definitely noticeable from the instant I plugged it in (I wasn't even in the main listening position).  I don't have any technical documentation regarding the Enacom, so I have no idea what it's doing...but the sound immediately gained in dynamics and definition.  It was surprising, because I've found the adeptResponse to already be very effective (also being the only power conditioner I've been able to plug my amp into without losing dynamics).

Jay S

« Reply #35 on: 20 Jun 2004, 12:01 pm »
I've got a couple of the Blue Circle Noisehound Mk3s... would anyone know how many Henries per Noisehound?

PhilNYC

« Reply #36 on: 21 Jun 2004, 02:39 am »
Jay,

The Noise Hound actually a group of cap filters (8 of them) in parallel to the AC (no inductors), so it's not really based on the same theory as the RGPG/choke thing...

kana813

« Reply #37 on: 21 Jun 2004, 02:52 am »
Phil-

Mahalo for the info.

"I've found the adeptResponse to already be very effective (also being the only power conditioner I've been able to plug my amp into without losing dynamics)."

I totally agree you on this point. Most power conditioners suck the life out of dynamics and the soundstage. I know John & Richard wanted  to avoid these problems when they created the adeptResponse.

Two .47uf/600v Auricaps across the hot and neutral of an AC outlet outperform 99% of the so-called power conditioners on the market.

Aloha,

Dan

Jay S

« Reply #38 on: 21 Jun 2004, 05:02 am »
Phil,

Thanks for the reply.  Hmm, gives me an excuse, er, reason, to go get an inductor, attach a plug to it and give it a try!   :D   When I get a bit of free time I will try to shop for an inductor here in Hong Kong.

Another thing I've been meaning to do is to try my 2nd Noisehound closer to my audio system.  It is currently in my kitchen where I have lots of noisy appliances.  But, it may make sense to move it to the extension cord that my tv, digital cable box, cable modem and wireless router are plugged in to, as I'm imagine all of these components put out a lot of noise.  My 1st Noisehound is plugged into my Blue Circle balanced power supply.  

Regards,

- Jay

PhilNYC

Update
« Reply #39 on: 18 Jul 2004, 01:02 pm »
Thought I'd give a brief summary of what I found using this choke.

As mentioned previously, I first tried plugging the choke into my Audience adeptResponse power conditioner and couldn't really hear a difference.  Around the same time (but as a separate experiment), I had tried plugging in an Enacom AC Filter (cap filtering) into the adeptResponse and found it be make a signficant improvement in lowing the noise floor (surprising, since the adeptResponse was already doing an excellent job).

A couple of weeks ago, I had to send my adeptResponse back to Audience (mine was a production prototype, and they have made improvements...sent it back to get the upgrades to the final production model).  I then placed my Blue Circle Music Ring MR800 balanced power conditioner into the system (everything but the amp).  Tried the Choke and the Enacom again into the conditioner...  Another surprise!  Now the Choke was providing the noticeable improvement with a little more clarity and focus in the image, whereas the Enacom wasn't doing anything.  Go figure!

Unfortunately, I've not had the opportunity to try plugging in the choke or the Enacom into the duplex/outlet that my gear is plugged into.  I've tried another outlet, but the distance from that other outlet to my gear is pretty far, and I think the range on these things are about 25 feet on the circuit (the Blue Circle Noise Hound BC86 is also a cap filter-based conditioner and has that range).  But I'm certain that the Choke will offer improvement to a system that doesn't currently have conditioning (as do the Enacom and the Noise Hound)...for $40 plus a buck or two for a plug, it's pretty effective!  Will it do everything a Richard Gray's product will do?  No...those things offer additional functions like surge protection, power distribution, etc all in a well-built package.  However, if you're on a budget and don't mind a chunky choke sitting around your place, you should check this out.   The only thing I wish was that this choke had longer wires for the AC plug...they are only about 6 inches, so even putting them on an outlet requires that you put something nearby for it to sit on...