LeCleac'h horns & other products by Autotech

JohnR

Re: LeCleac'h horns by Autotech
« Reply #20 on: 1 Feb 2012, 01:04 pm »
Ah, OK, I'm slightly less confused now that I matched a couple of acronyms  :lol:

JoshK

« Reply #21 on: 1 Feb 2012, 03:05 pm »
So what are the benifits between a miniphase and a iwata?

I think there are not really judgements made a priori about these, instead it is autotech's purpose to provide popular horns for those who wish to make use of them.  There were some thought experiments and simulations that went behind many of these designs.  Many of the ideas originated on DIYaudio's various threads on waveguides and horns (see JMLC on LeCleach, Geddes on Waveguides, manufacturing of waveguides, etc). 

I am not 100% sure where the concept for minphase came from, but I have an idea.  Anyone, I see it as too large for a given loading to be practical, but that is my $.02.  It should have very good behaviour over its pass band, but a system is more than the sum of its parts, and the whole system needs to be taken into consideration when designing, not just a bunch of passbands.

The Iwata is a throw back to another idea and JMLC helped modernize its profile.  It loads down low (the 300hz) while not being too large in the vertical, which really helps with integration.  I've yet to see any real measurements for it. 

HT cOz

« Reply #22 on: 1 Feb 2012, 06:11 pm »
John, I'm not building any with the Le Cleac'h horns, just the SEOS waveguide from the same folks. Josh and I kind of sidetracked this a bit, sorry about that.

The reduced vertical dispersion in comparison to the waveguides in the Abbey's does interest me, so while not an expectation it's very much something I wish to hear in a familiar space.

Mike

I changed the title as this is exactly the kind of conversation I was hoping would occur.  I think the products that Autotech look cool but need more of a traveled path (road map) to consider building something myself.

Party on..

Robert

JoshK

Re: LeCleac'h horns & other products by Autotech
« Reply #23 on: 2 Feb 2012, 02:49 am »
Its a matter of time before people build systems based on the availability....they only just started shipping (2nd pallet, first is there already and some designs are done, if you look around).  But this is the Y in DIY.  Measurement gear and software is cheap these days.  Spend the time to learn it, its not hard and the reward will be forever fruitful if audio is your passion.

gregdee

Re: LeCleac'h horns & other products by Autotech
« Reply #24 on: 20 Mar 2013, 02:00 pm »
Its a matter of time before people build systems based on the availability....they only just started shipping (2nd pallet, first is there already and some designs are done, if you look around).  But this is the Y in DIY.  Measurement gear and software is cheap these days.  Spend the time to learn it, its not hard and the reward will be forever fruitful if audio is your passion.

Couldn't agree more with you Josh , being UK importer for the brand.
As this thread is quiet now for a long time I am curious to ask anybody
who posted here ,as well as others if you got till now any finished DIYs
you would like to show us  or talk about them whatever stage they are ?

cheers
Greg