Rebuilding the stock crossover in an inexpensive 2-way

walkern

Re: Rebuilding the stock crossover in an inexpensive 2-way
« Reply #20 on: 9 Feb 2012, 08:52 pm »
If you live in the Chicago area (or don't mind shipping the woofers) I've used J & J Speaker Repair for years.  They work quickly, accurately, and for a reasonable price. 
Address is: 7006 W. Diversey, Chicago, IL  60707.  Phone number is 773-889-3498.

djkest

• Music and Movie lover
« Reply #21 on: 13 Feb 2012, 04:17 pm »
Danny, why did you have a Paradigm Studio 60 apart, and did you actually do anything to that crossover. Was it "version 5?" I have a friend who owns a pair, sounds like it would sound a lot better with a minor crossover redesign. Maybe that's not quite your "thing" though.

Danny Richie

« Reply #22 on: 13 Feb 2012, 04:37 pm »
Danny, why did you have a Paradigm Studio 60 apart, and did you actually do anything to that crossover. Was it "version 5?" I have a friend who owns a pair, sounds like it would sound a lot better with a minor crossover redesign. Maybe that's not quite your "thing" though.

One of my commercial clients had a pair sent over as a reference. Despite it being a great selling speaker, it wasn't much of a reference. The response was not to good. It didn't sound very good, and the tweeter mounting caused some issues as well. It was really poorly engineered across the board.

I did not do anything with it. I just took measurements and pics of it, shook my head, and put it back together.

I really don't think it is worth the effort of a redesign. I think it would be better to sell them and start over. 

djkest

• Music and Movie lover
« Reply #23 on: 13 Feb 2012, 07:46 pm »
They sell for $2,000 / pair  :oops:

That's pretty sad from a reputable company such as Paradigm- they are supposed to be one of the better companies.

Danny Richie

« Reply #24 on: 13 Feb 2012, 07:47 pm »

That's pretty sad from a reputable company such as Paradigm- they are supposed to be one of the better companies.

They are one of the better marketed companies. Then again, so is Bose.

Æ

« Reply #25 on: 13 Feb 2012, 10:49 pm »

Don't be surprised. Many of the big name companies will get away with as much as they can. What you don't know, won't hurt you. Ha!

jackman

« Reply #26 on: 13 Feb 2012, 11:08 pm »
Wow, where did that beauty come from?

pureiso

« Reply #27 on: 13 Feb 2012, 11:11 pm »
Almost looks like the crossover from my Mission 704s... actually the Missions were worse.

I went in there for a simple capacitor swap, I may have to see if I have some photos somewhere... that was not fun...

Æ

« Reply #28 on: 14 Feb 2012, 04:25 am »
Wow, where did that beauty come from?

Crossovers from some BOSTON Acoustics three ways that were given to me. The woofers were rotted, but the tweeters and mids were salvageable. Their tweeters are actually pretty good, unfortunately the ones I obtained have a few minor cosmetic blemishes on the faceplates.