What are folks using for portable source components??

eclein

• Volunteer
  • ..we walk the plank with our eyes wide open!-Gotye
I'm curious if most folks are using ipods or if they have migrated to other devices or not. I finally found a player-I hope- that plays wav,flac,mp3's and a bunch of others and has a bunch of storage that can be added to. These Cowon D3 Plenue devices are supposed to sound excellent also.

Here is what I've committed to try, what are you guys using??

ecramer

• Volunteer
  • In time whats deserved always get served.
Re: What are folks using for portable source components??
« Reply #1 on: 30 Jan 2012, 01:38 am »
i rotate two sansa clips and a creative labs zen v. ive been lusting after a cowon j3 or s9 both fine players in my book

Im going to start using my kindle fire a lot for a portable source. I'm up loading all my mp3's 33,900 tracks to an amazon cloud drive (unlimited music storage for $20 a year) and i can stream any of it  when im in the house and down load what i want  to take on the road very convenient. 

hibuckhobby

• On a search for audio nirvana
« Reply #2 on: 30 Jan 2012, 03:50 am »
An ipod touch or my ipad.  Have been looking at either a Cowan or an ipod classic.  Currently need to stop spending.
Hibuck...

tjohnusa

« Reply #3 on: 31 Jan 2012, 10:46 pm »
Let's see...have A 32gig touch (newest toy) Sony nwz-s545, nationite s-flo2 (won at head-fi), rio karma, ceative zen m30, dell dj15, and a creative muvo...oh and a 1st gen nano. Gotta thin this herd someday. I really like the sony because of it's eq and you can save 2 custom set ups for portable cans and full size in addition to the excellent sound, also love the sound of the karma..quite powerful and excellent sound quality. The small players I use for podcasts in my work truck along with a few tunes when i am in the mood for some music. Also have about 6 different sets of headphones. It's a hobby that keeps on taking....my money!

mhconley

« Reply #4 on: 1 Feb 2012, 01:29 am »
I use Poweramp on my HTC Evo 3D to play FLAC files from an SD card though my Shure e3's.  It sounds good to me.

Martin

ajzepp

« Reply #5 on: 1 Feb 2012, 02:00 am »
  Currently need to stop spending.
Hibuck...

Good luck with that! *evil grin*

eclein

• Volunteer
  • ..we walk the plank with our eyes wide open!-Gotye
« Reply #6 on: 1 Feb 2012, 02:49 am »
+1 on the evil grin!!!! The latest and greatest really good tweak stuff in the headphone/portables category is usually a few hundred or maybe less which keeps me trying stuff at an alarming rate....LOL :thumb: :thumb:

toocool4

« Reply #7 on: 1 Feb 2012, 03:40 pm »
I alternate between Sony WM-D6C, WM-DC2 and WM-DD9 all hooked up to Ray Samuels P-51 Mustang so I guess I am kind of old skool. 8)

ajzepp

« Reply #8 on: 1 Feb 2012, 05:07 pm »
+1 on the evil grin!!!! The latest and greatest really good tweak stuff in the headphone/portables category is usually a few hundred or maybe less which keeps me trying stuff at an alarming rate....LOL :thumb: :thumb:

:lol: 

slwiser

« Reply #9 on: 2 Feb 2012, 12:04 am »
iPod 4 Doc to USB into Fostex HP-P1 as a DAC or optical into another DAC such as the iBasso DB2.

ajzepp

« Reply #10 on: 2 Feb 2012, 12:48 am »
iPod 4 Doc to USB into Fostex HP-P1 as a DAC or optical into another DAC such as the iBasso DB2.

That Fostex piece is very interesting. Before you picked that up, were you running a regular LOD cable into an amp? And if so, did you notice the jump to lossless with the Fostex being significant in terms of sound quality? I have sort of kept an eye on both the Fostex and the AlgoRhythm Solo since my iPod is full of lossless music.

slwiser

« Reply #11 on: 2 Feb 2012, 01:15 pm »
That Fostex piece is very interesting. Before you picked that up, were you running a regular LOD cable into an amp? And if so, did you notice the jump to lossless with the Fostex being significant in terms of sound quality? I have sort of kept an eye on both the Fostex and the AlgoRhythm Solo since my iPod is full of lossless music.

I went directly to the iPod and HP-P1 but I also have the ALO doc to line-in if I want to bypass the HP-P1's DAC or if I want with another amp.  The HP-P1 dac is just so good I don't want to bypass it.  I do use other amps instead of the built in HP-P1 most times.  The HP-P1 is no slouch though, I enjoy the tube sound of the Continental or hopefully will find the the Balanced sound of the SR-71B enjoyable as well when this setup comes together. 

I wanted to maximize my portable setup and think I have almost done this.  My portable headphones are the ATH-ESW10JPN (stock) and balanced HD-25-1-ii and DT1350 which are both terminated for either single ended or balance listening with Moon Audio IEM Silver Dragon wire and Switchcraft mini-xlr connector.   This wiring solution is really neat from Moon Audio.

ajzepp

« Reply #12 on: 2 Feb 2012, 06:09 pm »
I went directly to the iPod and HP-P1 but I also have the ALO doc to line-in if I want to bypass the HP-P1's DAC or if I want with another amp.  The HP-P1 dac is just so good I don't want to bypass it.  I do use other amps instead of the built in HP-P1 most times.  The HP-P1 is no slouch though, I enjoy the tube sound of the Continental or hopefully will find the the Balanced sound of the SR-71B enjoyable as well when this setup comes together. 

I wanted to maximize my portable setup and think I have almost done this.  My portable headphones are the ATH-ESW10JPN (stock) and balanced HD-25-1-ii and DT1350 which are both terminated for either single ended or balance listening with Moon Audio IEM Silver Dragon wire and Switchcraft mini-xlr connector.   This wiring solution is really neat from Moon Audio.

Wow you have a lot of cool gear. So what types of files do you have on your iPod? MP3? Apple Lossless? AAC?

slwiser

« Reply #13 on: 2 Feb 2012, 11:21 pm »
Wow you have a lot of cool gear. So what types of files do you have on your iPod? MP3? Apple Lossless? AAC?

I use lossless for everything.  At home with my Squeezebox feeding my Lavry DA10 into my Phonitor to the Sennheiser HD800 as well but at home I use FLAC instead of the Apple Lossless files.  I have two sets of files and backups for those.

santacore

« Reply #14 on: 3 Feb 2012, 12:00 am »
HiFiMan HM-801. It plays standard and hi res. files, sounds fantastic, and has removable storage. After getting this unit, I stop looking at portables. :thumb:

Rocket

« Reply #15 on: 28 May 2014, 07:33 am »
Hi Guys,

Very old thread but it fits with what I would like to post.  I just upgraded my iPod nano to an iBass DX50 and I also bought a  pair of AIAIAI Studio TMA - 1's as well.  I was pretty surprised at how much better it sounded than my old iPod which to be honest I most used for bluetooth purposes.  I also have an iMod and Alo Audio portable headphone amplifier and this system does sound a bit more refined with better bass than the iBasso DX50. 

The iMod is a bit problematic at the moment so the iBasso will be well used.

Thanks Rod

Guy 13

« Reply #16 on: 28 May 2014, 09:17 am »
Hi all.
I use a standard, ordinary, plain iPod with a pair of no hi-end Sennheiser HD-570 and it sounds so good, that I use it when I want to go to sleep.
10 minutes after I've put the headphones on and turn on the iPod I start ZZZZzzzz
That's how good the sound is.

Guy 13

By the way, my iPod is not allowed to go out of the house, too risky
and the HD-570 are of the open type,
therefore in Vietnam the capital of noise, it would be useless.

ajzepp

« Reply #17 on: 29 May 2014, 06:42 am »
Have you ever auditioned the Zo/Zo2 Dale? It's a really neat little gadget. They have a Zo3 coming out this year that will have full range "smartvektor" technology and a more robust amp section. Info is at www.digizoid.com

ajzepp

« Reply #18 on: 29 May 2014, 11:56 am »
That's interesting. It looks like they have a customizable DSP tuned for portable use. I know when I use the v-moda M100 on a walkabout, the strong bass doesn't seem strong at all, and the bass detail is mostly missing. So the Zo might restore some of that..

I was impressed at how clean it kept the bass. I can't stand it when the low end starts to bloat, so I was skeptical...but it held tight. I have to give Ed credit for introducing me to this little gadget a year or two ago...really can't wait to see how the next one turns out.

geowak

« Reply #19 on: 29 May 2014, 02:42 pm »
Source1: Spotify app- Iphone 5S- Pure Audio I20 dock- Schiit Audio Uber DAC
Source2: Spotify app- Iphone 5S- Pure Audio I20 dock- Benchmark DAC1 (USB)
Source3: Spotify app or HD Radio app- Iphone 5s- Pure Audio I20 (using internal DAC)
Each one of these feeds a separate audio system.