Linked Events

• T.H.E. Show - Newport Beach CA: 1 Jun 2012 - 3 Jun 2012

T.H.E. Show - Newport Beach CA - June 1, 2, 3 2012

enjoythemusic

Re: T.H.E. Show - Newport Beach CA - June 1, 2, 3 2012
« Reply #120 on: 5 Jun 2012, 03:51 pm »
...there is no "one size fits all" demo opportunity at these shows.  That makes perfect sense...

Exactly! After attending around 107 shows there are so many variables... and personal preferences. So what 'Bob' might like could be very different than what 'Rick' likes. Same thing happens with car guys too... and camera guys... and bicycle guys... and.... 

:guitar: :drums: :guitar:

jhm731

« Reply #121 on: 5 Jun 2012, 05:21 pm »
Exactly! After attending around 107 shows there are so many variables... and personal preferences. So what 'Bob' might like could be very different than what 'Rick' likes. Same thing happens with car guys too... and camera guys... and bicycle guys... and.... 

:guitar: :drums: :guitar:

Did you listen to the system in RM.1022 at the Hilton?

Any pictures of the room?

enjoythemusic

« Reply #122 on: 5 Jun 2012, 06:40 pm »
1022 was the Acoustic Zen room. Recall talking to the guys... and sometimes can forget to take a photo/etc. It happens, such as i forgot to take a few photos on Friday and had to backtrack to get the missing photo files on Saturday. Will remember to check them out and photo/etc during the RMAF show.

ltr317

« Reply #123 on: 5 Jun 2012, 10:35 pm »
Yup.  I first try to jot down my impressions while the memory is still fresh, so later when I read others' impressions, it can be surprising how different people can hear things.

I also can't stress enough the importance of playing your own reference tracks at these shows when allowed, as I've often found myself dumbfounded how the sysems really sounded with music I know well compared to exhibitors' chosen demo tracks.

Hi Jon - many thanks for the terrific photos.  I've been meaning to get a better digital camera, and the quality of your photos cemented the thought.  I don't think most people necessarily hear different things, but have different sonic preferences.  I always bring my own demo CDs and if a room can't play my selection or two because they are busy, then I return later if I like the sound on the first visit.  I have to admit though, since I started reviewing, it's been much easier to play my demo disc in most rooms on the first visit. 

Paul

jhm731

« Reply #124 on: 6 Jun 2012, 05:38 am »
1022 was the Acoustic Zen room. Recall talking to the guys... and sometimes can forget to take a photo/etc. It happens, such as i forgot to take a few photos on Friday and had to backtrack to get the missing photo files on Saturday. Will remember to check them out and photo/etc during the RMAF show.

Rm.1022 was the Million Dollar Sound room. Gives me chicken skin just looking at it.... :roll:

TONEPUB

« Reply #125 on: 6 Jun 2012, 07:58 pm »
Some random thoughts from Sunday. My second time at this show:

Best sound:
Coincident
Sanders Stats

Best Demo:
Totem HT demo showing Mr. and Mrs. Smith shootout segment. One of the best audio/video demos ever seen. Nice folks too.

Most of the rooms sounded pretty weak IMHO.  No point in signalling them out after the show. Tried to get into the Maggie demo several times but Wendell kept turning us away for the next demo. I can't understand why people say this guy was nice. Wendell was incredibly rude in a show more or less filled with nice people. Made me feel that much better for replacing my Maggies with Martin Logans.

When I got home my humble system was as good or better than about 95% of what I heard at a fraction of the price. Gotta love Roger Sanders and his NO BS TWEAK policy in his room. Plain wires and run of the mill CD/DVD player proving their is still a few sane audiophools left in the world.

Don't feel like the lone ranger with the Magnepan thing...

I've been trying to get in their room for eight years now, and again, I was just told to leave.  I've owned almost every Magnepan speaker made over the last 30 years, but I gotta say the love is wearing thin.

I've never been able to figure it out!

:)

saisunil

« Reply #126 on: 6 Jun 2012, 08:15 pm »
Nice coverage ...

Always enjoy (the music)

Thanks
Agree lonewolfny42, you guys really have posted some cool stuff! Just woke up and still have a HUGE pile of work ahead of me. Man it has been a LONG week...  Great show and from what i heard there really were MANY impressive sounding rooms. Was imposssible for me to pick just a few. My report is now all done and at www.enjoythemusic.com/the_show_newport_2012/

BrassEar

« Reply #127 on: 6 Jun 2012, 11:31 pm »
Don't feel like the lone ranger with the Magnepan thing...
I've been trying to get in their room for eight years now, and again, I was just told to leave.  I've owned almost every Magnepan speaker made over the last 30 years, but I gotta say the love is wearing thin.

I've never been able to figure it out!
:)

Well, I appreciate that. I asked Wendell if they were showing the mini maggies and he scoffed. He said this demo was better. My wife and I kindly asked when we should come back. He said 7 minutes. We come back 8 minutes later and he laughs and says come back in 6 minutes. Back again and he just ignores many of us standing in front of his suite. He was talking to a big shot Korean importer so all of us retail customers didn't matter anymore. Wendell was clearly irritated dealing directly with consumers.

I have owned MMGs, MGII, Tympani I-D, MG 1.6, and MG 2.5Rs. I am still mildly interested in the mini-Maggie but I think I am done with this company. They are not the only company that sells a good speaker with a large soundstage.

SoCalWJS

« Reply #128 on: 7 Jun 2012, 01:12 am »
Are the comments about the Maggies concerning Atrium 221?
(I had to pull out the guide and look - I think this the right room)

I went by that room on at least three, and I believe four occasions. Twice, it was locked with nobody outside and no response to light knocks (during show hours). One time, I asked the gentleman outside about going in and he said a demo was in progress and to come back in 10-15 minutes. Another time the same guy was talking with somebody and I felt like he did not want to be interrupted. (so I guess it was 4 times).

I HATE this!

There were other rooms that had demos going on, but the door was unlocked and you could come and go if you wanted. Seems silly to go through all the trouble of paying for a room, dragging all the equipment to the show, setting it up, work on getting good sound, then taking it apart and dragging it back, BUT, not show it to as many people as possible.  :scratch:

....but what do I know?

catastrofe

• "That's what credit cards are for. . ."
« Reply #129 on: 7 Jun 2012, 01:20 am »
Well, I appreciate that. I asked Wendell if they were showing the mini maggies and he scoffed. He said this demo was better. My wife and I kindly asked when we should come back. He said 7 minutes. We come back 8 minutes later and he laughs and says come back in 6 minutes. Back again and he just ignores many of us standing in front of his suite. He was talking to a big shot Korean importer so all of us retail customers didn't matter anymore. Wendell was clearly irritated dealing directly with consumers.

I have owned MMGs, MGII, Tympani I-D, MG 1.6, and MG 2.5Rs. I am still mildly interested in the mini-Maggie but I think I am done with this company. They are not the only company that sells a good speaker with a large soundstage.

Roger Sanders wouldn't treat you like that. . . :scratch:

SteveFord

• Volunteer
  • The poodle bites, the poodle chews it.
« Reply #130 on: 7 Jun 2012, 01:35 am »
Don't feel bad, I was told to stay home!
Just kidding.

Thanks for all of the photos and coverage - it's just astonishing how beautiful audio equipment has become over the years.
The creativity of the designers is just staggering.

Hugh

• Industry Participant
    • Angel City Audio
« Reply #131 on: 7 Jun 2012, 02:11 am »
Since we're right across from Room #221, I had witnessed something akin to what you guys stated here on several occasions.

Not only that but sometimes our visitors couldn't either get in or out of our door due to the sheer volume of people waiting to get into that room blocking the whole hallway. :)

May be we'll move to another room next year.

Hugh

• Industry Participant
    • Angel City Audio
« Reply #132 on: 7 Jun 2012, 02:14 am »
Mr. AH,

That sub is really really GOOD.
Oh nice! Thoughts on it??

skeeter99

« Reply #133 on: 7 Jun 2012, 02:42 am »
Mr. AH,

That sub is really really GOOD.

I'll be looking for more info. That's quite a good compliment coming from you!

Scott

audioengr

« Reply #134 on: 7 Jun 2012, 04:19 am »
Agree lonewolfny42, you guys really have posted some cool stuff! Just woke up and still have a HUGE pile of work ahead of me. Man it has been a LONG week...  Great show and from what i heard there really were MANY impressive sounding rooms. Was imposssible for me to pick just a few. My report is now all done and at www.enjoythemusic.com/the_show_newport_2012/

Did you cover the Atrium exhibits?

enjoythemusic

« Reply #135 on: 7 Jun 2012, 03:12 pm »
Yes, did cover some of the Atrium exhibits. Alas, so many rooms, various business meeting, etc means there is simply no way for me to cover every rooms all the time at every show.

Please send me press releases via e-mail from Enjoy the Music.com on your new products.

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #136 on: 7 Jun 2012, 03:19 pm »
Roger Sanders wouldn't treat you like that. . . :scratch:
Oh really?  He did to me about 5yrs ago...

Everyone has good and bad days though.

Cheeseboy

« Reply #137 on: 7 Jun 2012, 05:52 pm »
I really wanted to hear the Magnapans as well and after 4 attempts with no one waiting in line or crowds just walked away. 

Did anyone else enjoy the Lotus Group room as much as I did?

ltr317

« Reply #138 on: 7 Jun 2012, 06:18 pm »
I really wanted to hear the Magnapans as well and after 4 attempts with no one waiting in line or crowds just walked away. 

Did anyone else enjoy the Lotus Group room as much as I did?

Same result as you.  I gave up after three tries. 

jhm731

« Reply #139 on: 7 Jun 2012, 07:34 pm »