Margarita Cocktail Recipe who has one?

ecramer

• Volunteer
  • In time whats deserved always get served.
Margarita Cocktail Recipe who has one?
« on: 26 Jan 2012, 04:26 pm »
The last couple of times my Wife and me have gone out for dinner I've been enjoying a couple of Margarita's. Was not at any place fancy Red Robin and long horn steak house but they were really good. Thought it would be nice to to make these at the house. So i picked up a bottle of Jose Quervo gold, Jose Quervo Margarita mix and salt. this combo just didn't do it for me kinda nasty tasting.

First off i think the Quervo gold was too smooth after i took a shot straight, lacked that bite that should be there

whats every body's favorite blend

wgallupe

Re: Margarita Cocktail Recipe who has one?
« Reply #1 on: 26 Jan 2012, 04:43 pm »
Try adding Triplesec (spelling?) to the Quervo Gold / Quervo Maragarita mix. It sweetens it up a bit and adds a hint of orange flavor. Something like this but do experiment with the parts!

1 part Quervo Gold
1/2 part Quervo mix
1/2 part Triplesec 

sts9fan

« Reply #2 on: 26 Jan 2012, 04:47 pm »
2 parts Tequila
1 part Orange Liqour
1 part Fresh Squeezed Lime Juice
1/2 part Simple Syrup (optional)

Over rocks, Enjoy!

EDIT: Using packaged mixes makes is BAD!!!

roscoeiii

« Reply #3 on: 26 Jan 2012, 05:09 pm »
Jose Cuervo is not a great pick. For a great margarita, use actual lime juice instead of a mix. For your tequila, a blanco is usually preferable. We really really liked Espolon Blanco Tequila. But if you cant find that a blanco from Sauza should work fine. Stay away from Cuervo in general. Cointreau is also preferable, much better than other triple secs in the margarita.

And here are the proportions:
1 1/2 oz tequila
1/2 oz premium triple sec (preferably Cointreau)
1 oz lime juice

All this said having done a lot of comparisons of margarita proportions and ingredients.

For a great smoky variation, replace 1/4 of the tequila with a good mezcal. It must be a GOOD mezcal, we discovered this the hard way. Lowest priced mezcal I woud start with is something like the Del Maguey Mezcal Vida ($40 here in Chicago). Pricey, yes, but you aren't adding much. Not sure what is available in your area.

Mijknarf

« Reply #4 on: 26 Jan 2012, 05:20 pm »
I like margaritas too, but I'm inherntly lazy, so I found a simple recipe that tastes pretty good:
1.  Take a container of Minutemaid frozen limejuice
2.  Cut it in half and store the second half in your freezer for the next batch
3.  Dump contents into blender
4.  Fill remaining empty container with tequila of choice, dump in blender
5.  Fill empty container with triple sec, dump in blender
6.  Fill blender with ice, place lid on, blend to smooth slush
7.  Enjoy

jrebman

« Reply #5 on: 26 Jan 2012, 06:00 pm »
Ed,

My wife and I are famous around our community for making margs, but the key ingredient is not easily available, but if you can find it, it is called Island House lime juice -- typically need to get from a restaurant supply house.  The recipe is simple:

1/3 island house lime juice

1/3 triple sec or cointreau (latter is much better)

and 1/3 your favorite tequilla, and yes, stick with the whites.

Limit yourself to 2 or 3 -- any more than that and you'll definitely be driving the porcelain bus.  Most can't even get to three.  However, the point really is how great they taste.

Oh and for a little variety, try throwing a shot or two of apple juice in the mix pitcher.

-- Jim

kenreau

Re: Margarita Cocktail Recipe who has one? - Alton Brown
« Reply #6 on: 26 Jan 2012, 06:15 pm »
The best, imho, is Alton Brown's GOOD EATS Margarita Recipe.  It's a little more involved, but worth it.  You can google or youtube for this episode.  It included a great Bloody Mary recipe as well.

Ingredients:
2 oz 100% Blue Agave Tequila
2 tbs Agave Nectar
1/2 Hamlin or Valencia Orange, quartered
2 Limes, quartered
2 Limes, halved
1 thin lime slice (for garnish)
1 tbs Kosher Salt
3/4 cup Ice

Directions:
In one saucer, pour the tablespoon of kosher salt. In a second saucer, pour 1/2 ounce of 100% Blue Agave Tequila.

Dip the rim of a 12 ounce martini or cocktail glass into the saucer containing the tequila. Remove the glass (keeping it upside down) and count to 10 to allow some of the tequila to drip away and evaporate. Then, dip the rim of the glass into the saucer with the kosher salt, give it a wiggle, tap off the excess and invert. Your glass is now ready to receive your Margarita.

Place your juice reamer over the cocktail shaker and extract the juice from 2 limes you have cut in half. (Remember to keep one thin slice of one of these lime halves for a garnish - cut this slice before juicing the limes.)

Next, dump the quartered oranges and quartered limes into the shaker.

Add 2 tablespoons of Agave Nectar into the shaker, on top of the lime juice and the quartered limes and oranges.

Muddle this all together for two full minutes to release the juices and the oils in the citrus skins.

After muddling for two minutes, strain into a glass (or the top of the shaker, if it is a "Boston" style shaker).

Add 1-1/2 of the 100% Blue Agave Tequila, PLUS the 1/2 ounce you used in the saucer to rim the glass.

Place 3/4 of a cup of ice into your cocktail shaker and pour the mixed ingredients over the ice.

Shake this for a FULL THIRTY SECONDS. Keep shaking until you see frost start to form on the outside of the shaker and it becomes ice cold.

Then, simply strain into the prepared glass and apply the lime wheel for garnish.

sts9fan

« Reply #7 on: 26 Jan 2012, 06:23 pm »
Side Note: "Good" 'ritas tend to be very strong though they do mellow on the rocks.  Triple Sec will take it down a notch where Grand Mariner(sp) and Contreu (sp) will make them more "beefy".

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
« Reply #8 on: 26 Jan 2012, 07:40 pm »
Ed...

If you need a "taste tester"....let me know.... :jester:

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
  • "Introverted Basement Dwelling Troll"
« Reply #9 on: 26 Jan 2012, 09:57 pm »
Here's one I'd like to try:

Jalapeno Margarita
kosher salt
ice cubes
4 fluid ounces tequila
2 fluid ounces triple sec
2 limes, juiced
1 tablespoon agave nectar
1/2 jalapeno pepper, seeded and diced
1 limes, cut into wedges

Directions

1. Pour 1/4 to 1/2 inch of salt onto a small, shallow plate. Moisten the rim of two margarita glasses with water and dip into the salt. Fill with ice, and set aside.

2. Pour the tequila, triple sec, lime juice, agave nectar, and jalapeno into a cocktail shaker over ice. Cover, and shake vigorously until the outside of the shaker has frosted. Strain into the prepared glasses, and garnish with lime wedges to serve.

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
« Reply #10 on: 26 Jan 2012, 09:59 pm »
Also....I started a similar thread four years ago. Check > THIS < out. There's three pages of happiness, right there. :thumb:

Bob

jrebman

« Reply #11 on: 30 Jan 2012, 11:56 pm »
Chris,

Is there no limit to your willingness to help others? :D

Kenreaux,

Now there's one I will be trying!

-- Jim

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #12 on: 31 Jan 2012, 01:25 am »
Fresh squeezed lime and home made simple syrup are the keys to a good margarita, IMO.  Given those 2 things, my recipe is equal parts tequila, cointreau, simply syrup, and fresh lime juice.  I keep all the ingredients stored separately, and make margaritas one drink at a time, so I can adjust the ratios up or down based on the imbiber's feedback and preferences.

Syrah

« Reply #13 on: 31 Jan 2012, 02:20 pm »
I've also tested numerous combinations, using fresh lime juice instead of syrup.  I found lime juice and simple syrup (without extra water) makes it taste a bit too cloying.  I settled on the following:

3 parts tequilla (I like Don Julio blanco);
1 part triple sec (i.e. Cointreau);
2 parts lime juice (I have a key lime tree in my backyard, that I call a margarita tree);
1 part water;
1 part simple syrup

To my taste, this has a nice bite, is not too sweet, not too cloying and not too boozy.

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
« Reply #14 on: 31 Jan 2012, 02:34 pm »
(I have a key lime tree in my backyard, that I call a margarita tree)

:lol: Now THAT'S funny!