MMG-W how are they?

Netdewt

MMG-W how are they?
« on: 24 Jan 2012, 09:02 pm »
Does anyone have MMG-Ws? How do you like them? I am interested in them for a home theater set up. I heard some MC1s @ my local audio shop and thought they sounded pretty good.

What should drive them? What do they like?

josh358

Re: MMG-W how are they?
« Reply #1 on: 25 Jan 2012, 02:01 am »
I haven't heard them but there are some informative reviews online, I suggest you do a search.

The main criterion for an amp is that it be able to drive a 4 ohm load. Any audiophile amp will do that, but many modern receivers can only drive an 8 ohm load. So if you're thinking of using a receiver, make sure the manufacturer provides a spec for power into 4 ohms, or else do some Internet research before you buy -- some brands of receiver have a reputation for being good with a 4 ohm load even though they aren't specified at 4 ohms.

Netdewt

« Reply #2 on: 25 Jan 2012, 03:46 am »
Ok thanks. I've read a couple reviews, just thought I'd see what some owners had to say.

Russtafarian

• Typical reaction to the music I play
« Reply #3 on: 25 Jan 2012, 04:03 am »
I use them as rear channel speakers for multi-channel DACD/DVD-A playback and they are awesome.  They are very clean and neutral in the midband so they blend with whatever front speakers I've had for the past five years. 

I have them ceiling mounted, parallel to the side walls, and even with the listening seat.  I tilt them back about 30 degrees so they fire directly at the listening position from each side wall. They have no bass, the treble is somwhat rolled off, and they need some power to sound right. But in this application, they work really well.

ajzepp

« Reply #4 on: 25 Jan 2012, 06:54 am »
MMG-Ws are the BEST surround speakers I've ever had, and by a large margin. That's one thing I love about Maggies. I have a pair of $4500 Maggie 3.6s as mains, and lowly $299 MMG-Ws in back. And you know what? It's GREAT! The Ws are actually a very coherent speaker, IMO. If I were choosing a main speaker, I'd probably go with the regular floor standing MMGs or the MC1s, but there was a time when I had the Ws as mains paired with a subwoofer and for the money it sounded really good. I definitely agree about the amplification. They are slightly easier to drive than most of the other Maggies, but receivers are a no-no in my book. The only way I'd recommend a receiver would be to use it as a processor and use the pre-outs for an outboard amp. But honestly, with sites like audiogon and even ebay, it's very easy to find a suitable amp for not a lot of money. You need 100 clean watts of power from an amp that is stable into 4ohms. A preowned Rotel, Anthem, B&K, NAD, Parasound, Outlaw Audio, etc, etc will be just fine.

I used to run a pair of MMGs in front and MMG-Ws in back, and it was a *great* set-up for both movies and music. The imagine was insane and it brought to life whatever media I threw at it. Hope that helps!  :thumb:

Netdewt

« Reply #5 on: 25 Jan 2012, 04:39 pm »
Sweet, thanks for the ideas.

MMG-Ws are the BEST surround speakers I've ever had, and by a large margin.

You need 100 clean watts of power from an amp that is stable into 4ohms. A preowned Rotel, Anthem, B&K, NAD, Parasound, Outlaw Audio, etc, etc will be just fine.

Thanks for the power tip. I'd probably get something like an NAD (T955 or something). I have always liked them as a company, but wanted a tube amp for my 2ch setup. I'll have to do some more searching to decide if I want to get a multichannel amp to start with or just go 2ch for now. Maybe MMG-W + a powered sub or something?

SteveFord

• Facilitator
  • The poodle bites, the poodle chews it.
« Reply #6 on: 26 Jan 2012, 12:07 am »
If you're going to stay 2.1, go with the MMGs. 

Rclark

« Reply #7 on: 26 Jan 2012, 12:16 am »
Whatever you decide, just know you are making the correct choice (Maggies)  :thumb:

Rclark

« Reply #8 on: 26 Jan 2012, 01:19 am »
Oh and I forgot to mention, get yourself a used Virtue One or Two amp, and eventually get it on some batteries. You'll thank me later.

It is the perfect amp for the MMG. My modded MMG's actually can take a lot more power now, but for stock, they are perfect, and you can find used relatively inexpensively. Main thing is the combo is AWESOME.

Seth will take great care of you as well.

Actually, if you get one, I have a 30V supply I'll just give you for free. It's a great start and better than stock. I have no use for it.

1960brookwood

« Reply #9 on: 27 Jan 2012, 10:36 am »
Anyone have any thoughts about running this off a receiver rated for 6 ohms with discreet amp sections?

josh358

« Reply #10 on: 27 Jan 2012, 11:00 pm »
Anyone have any thoughts about running this off a receiver rated for 6 ohms with discreet amp sections?

Hard to say, some amps are known for driving 4 ohm speakers even though they aren't rated for it, others will overheat, maybe shut down.

1960brookwood

« Reply #11 on: 27 Jan 2012, 11:36 pm »
Hard to say, some amps are known for driving 4 ohm speakers even though they aren't rated for it, others will overheat, maybe shut down.

Yamaha RX-V667--driving the  L & R with MG-1's off the preamp section through bridged NAD 2240's and the center off the internal.

josh358

« Reply #12 on: 28 Jan 2012, 01:41 am »
Good news, bottom post on this page says it handles 4 ohm speakers:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1258247